Menu

Y'all be proud: made the plans WE wanted for Mother's Day!

katilac

I'd be fine with the extended family plans if Sunday wasn't the only day we can finally go see Endgame together. I was actually planning on making a very inconvenient time work until dh told me I was being ridiculous, lol. For context, my parents are nearby and we see them all the time. And will actually still see them on Mother's Day, we just won't be at the family lunch, which is somewhat grounds for treason. 

Watching the Marvel movies together has been a family tradition, and of course it's much harder when you have two kids at different colleges. And Endgame is, well, kind of the end game, it's a big deal to us. The idea that watching a superhero movie together is important to us really does not compute with everyone else, but they really don't have to understand it, just accept it. 

Endgame. End game. All the feels, people. 

• Like 22
  • Haha 1

I'm glad you have a great Mother's Day planned!  Sounds like you've got it all covered - fun for you and your family, and some time with your mom. My mom was always great about having celebrations on alternate days when it fit better (though she never cared much, if at all, about Mother's Day).  You have a fun tradition going; new traditions (that others might not understand) are important too.

That said...

1 hour ago, Chris in VA said:

😁! I don't se why you can't let your kids honor YOU on Mother's Day. Why does it always have to be about the oldest generation Mother? Good on you for finding a way to let your kids give you something AND let your mother see her family. 

Because most likely she has fewer Mother's Days ahead of her than the younger generation(s)?    

It is nice when everyone can be "honored" in the way they like/that works for their families.  I asked to be honored with a clean kitchen table (so often we just shove stuff out of the way to make room for our food) and a nice dessert. 

Edited by marbel

2 hours ago, marbel said:

I'm glad you have a great Mother's Day planned!  Sounds like you've got it all covered - fun for you and your family, and some time with your mom. My mom was always great about having celebrations on alternate days when it fit better (though she never cared much, if at all, about Mother's Day).  You have a fun tradition going; new traditions (that others might not understand) are important too.

That said...

Because most likely she has fewer Mother's Days ahead of her than the younger generation(s)?    

My mom is actually pretty easy-going but my sister is not 😋 she's awesome but she's the oldest and my brother and I may or may not call her The Boss, lol. 

It's true about grandmas having fewer Mother's Days ahead of them, but this is one of the many things I've added to my List of Things to Remember When My Kids Are Grown: it's really nice for the moms who are in the trenches, from diapers and snotty noses to teen attitude, to have the option of the day they want, which for me often would have been the day off. Like I was often so desperate for sleep I wanted to cry, but  I had to come up with two gifts and make the phone calls and cook something for a get-together and wake up and put on real clothes . . . I'm really hoping I'm okay with my kids doing Mother's Day as a little family unit doing their own thing.

Other things on my list are Don't Buy All the Fun Stuff Unless You Ask First and Young Families Do Not Have the Time and Money to Travel Across the Country Every Year.  We've given the kids permission to remind us 😋

• Like 13

Oh yes I get you about the moms in the trenches and the things to remember when the kids are grown!  I want to be just like my mom when I grow up - easygoing, flexible, and remembering what it was like to have young kids!  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, katilac said:

My mom is actually pretty easy-going but my sister is not 😋 she's awesome but she's the oldest and my brother and I may or may not call her The Boss, lol. 

It's true about grandmas having fewer Mother's Days ahead of them, but this is one of the many things I've added to my List of Things to Remember When My Kids Are Grown: it's really nice for the moms who are in the trenches, from diapers and snotty noses to teen attitude, to have the option of the day they want, which for me often would have been the day off. Like I was often so desperate for sleep I wanted to cry, but  I had to come up with two gifts and make the phone calls and cook something for a get-together and wake up and put on real clothes . . . I'm really hoping I'm okay with my kids doing Mother's Day as a little family unit doing their own thing.

Other things on my list are Don't Buy All the Fun Stuff Unless You Ask First and Young Families Do Not Have the Time and Money to Travel Across the Country Every Year.  We've given the kids permission to remind us 😋

Yes to the bolded!!! I think it should be all about the moms who are in the trenches...especially with littles. I know that for me, that will mean that Mother's Day will never really be about me, because at this point, my youngest is seven, and not really little, but going forward, I want to make sure the younger generation, when they have small children, are recognized. I have had too many people in my life tell me that I should be honoring the older generation, and I don't want to do that to the young women in my life.

• Like 2

Good for you!

I've never really experienced Mother's Day being a big thing; no family dinners or gift buying. My mother in law used to send me lovely Mother's Day cards, she wrote such appreciative and encouraging messages.

I miss her.

• Like 1