Menu

Cheer Scholarships?

MerryAtHope

@dmmetler or others--what can you tell me about scholarships for boys doing cheer (asking for a friend)? The student is finishing junior year and was "told" by someone (not sure who) that he'd "for sure" get a scholarship as a guy doing cheer. Is there a place to find more info on colleges that might offer scholarships, what it takes to get one and other basic info? 

I'm seeing a few small scholarships (averaging $1000-$2000) to specific schools. Don't know if they are limited to just females, or are for both males and females:

25 Great Scholarships for Cheerleaders
Scholarships.com: Cheerleading Scholarships
USA Scholarships: Cheerleading Scholarships
College Scholarships: College Cheerleading Scholarships
Cheerleading Scholarship search engines

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

It is absolutely easier to get scholarships for cheer for boys than for girls, both at the college level (and the club level), but only a handful of schools give scholarships for cheer at all-mostly the big D1 football schools that compete D1A cheer. Among those, full scholarships, or even substantial ones, are rare. Most scholarships are “book scholarships”. Having said that, after years of paying for cheer, it usually seems like a windfall to parents for the college team to actually cover training and travel, even if they aren’t getting paid to cheer. In general, Cheer is more useful as a hook-being a recruited athlete is a big help in admissions-and can make a student more competitive for institutional scholarships. 

You can generally start going to clinics run by colleges basically as soon as you are in high school, and should-the college co-Ed stunting style is very different from club cheer (to the point that sometimes men coming from other sports will do better than those coming from cheer). Most college teams want a very clean cut, “All American” image, and you want to present that from your first contact with the college coaches. 

The Fierceboards has a wiki of college cheer programs and contact information. I will also attest that if an athlete has cheer listed on their ACT interests, and has good scores, they will get recruiting information from colleges that fit their profile-even for a girl who isn’t anywhere near Worlds level.

• Like 3

By the way-Williams Baptist University In AR just announced their inaugural season for co-Ed competitive cheer, and they fit the “if you have a hook, you are more likely to get other scholarships” model. If someone wants a small Christian school, particularly if you’re interested in nursing, pre-med or allied health, it’s worth checking out (I have a friend who teaches there who thought DD might know someone who would be interested)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

It is absolutely easier to get scholarships for cheer for boys than for girls, both at the college level (and the club level), but only a handful of schools give scholarships for cheer at all-mostly the big D1 football schools that compete D1A cheer. Among those, full scholarships, or even substantial ones, are rare. Most scholarships are “book scholarships”. Having said that, after years of paying for cheer, it usually seems like a windfall to parents for the college team to actually cover training and travel, even if they aren’t getting paid to cheer. In general, Cheer is more useful as a hook-being a recruited athlete is a big help in admissions-and can make a student more competitive for institutional scholarships. 

Thanks, this is so helpful! I'm thinking that when the young man heard "scholarship," he's thinking "full ride, I can go anywhere," and the reality from what you and Lori are saying is more like a 1k or 2k scholarship. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MerryAtHope said:

Thanks, this is so helpful! I'm thinking that when the young man heard "scholarship," he's thinking "full ride, I can go anywhere," and the reality from what you and Lori are saying is more like a 1k or 2k scholarship.

This is an old thread, but is experienced college athletes and coaches advising a VERY competitive male athlete from one of the top club programs. https://www.fierceboard.com/threads/best-college-cheerleading-scholarships.11658/

• Like 1