Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

MEmama

Feminine products are expensive!

Recommended Posts

I've been using a diva cup for several years and had forgotten how expensive they are!

This morning I bought groceries at Target for the food bank donation pick up tomorrow by our postal service, and remembered to add in a few boxes of pads and tampons. Holy cow!! Of course the exorbitant price means it's all the more necessary to donate as many as possible, so I made a mental note to keep on the lookout for sales so I can stock up (do they go on sale?). I truly wish I could donate a cup to every woman who can use them...

The experience was yet another reminder to how very fortunate I am to be able to afford what should be a basic right (being as they are an absolute necessity), as well as how powerless I am to truly help others for whom the expense is a burden. :(

Just had to vent.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Everything* is skyrocketing in price, it seems especially necessities. We are also experiencing higher property taxes, higher utilities, and higher insurance premiums/deductibles/copays. This is not a well-to-do area and it is really bothering me to hear about the church food pantry shelves emptying faster than people can donate, and to see elderly people at the grocery store trying to choose between milk OR bread. Those of us who have been deemed "middle class" are feeling like that term has been redefined to mean "Probably won't lose the house, no guarantees, but this is going to be SO tight. I hope nobody gets sick, or we're done." Middle class used to mean "Able to share with your neighbor, give an impressive percentage to charity, and put a little in the bank each month."

 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I've been using a diva cup for several years and had forgotten how expensive they are!

This morning I bought groceries at Target for the food bank donation pick up tomorrow by our postal service, and remembered to add in a few boxes of pads and tampons. Holy cow!! Of course the exorbitant price means it's all the more necessary to donate as many as possible, so I made a mental note to keep on the lookout for sales so I can stock up (do they go on sale?). I truly wish I could donate a cup to every woman who can use them...

The experience was yet another reminder to how very fortunate I am to be able to afford what should be a basic right (being as they are an absolute necessity), as well as how powerless I am to truly help others for whom the expense is a burden. 😞

Just had to vent.

 

Thanks for the reminder to set some canned food aside for that tomorrow!  I have a ton of baby food in the pantry my kids won't eat that I've been meaning to take to the food pantry.  I'll start with that.

Yes, they're expensive.  I've found unless it's an emergency it's best if I buy them only at Walmart, Sam's or Costco.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out and see if your local target has decided to redo the store.  Ours did and they decided to mark excess pads and tampons half price.  It was like finding gold to see organic pads and tampons for under 5! Lol.  Non-organic ones were under 4 a box.   Otherwise, I buy on amazon and watch for amazon coupons.

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our local pads and purses fundraiser accepts cups! I know not everyone can use them, but the idea of dealing with being homeless and dealing with pads would just be the last thing, you know? And although they’re a larger one-time expense (or maybe not!), they seem to be such a problem-solver.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, they do go on sale. I shop for mine at Walgreens or Rite Aid regularly. Without coupons I can get the supplies I need for the month for under $15 if I buy the brand that is on sale. I know that is a lot for people who are homeless or have very low incomes but for future reference when you are buying for shelters I suggest looking at circulars and picking them up from a store that has them on sale that week

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Check out and see if your local target has decided to redo the store.  Ours did and they decided to mark excess pads and tampons half price.  It was like finding gold to see organic pads and tampons for under 5! Lol.  Non-organic ones were under 4 a box.   Otherwise, I buy on amazon and watch for amazon coupons.

Amazon is a good idea, in addition to trolling the aisle at Target. I usually forget (since I don't use them anymore, such freedom!) but I can keep them in my list on Amazon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, arctic_bunny said:

Our local pads and purses fundraiser accepts cups! I know not everyone can use them, but the idea of dealing with being homeless and dealing with pads would just be the last thing, you know? And although they’re a larger one-time expense (or maybe not!), they seem to be such a problem-solver.

Yeah the upfront cost is more, but I more than made up for it in 3 months of not having to buy tampons. (3 months!!!)

I wonder if cups ever go on sale? And I wonder if they would be appreciated--like do most women know about them? I'd never heard of them until a convo here. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read that cups are not ideal. There are charities that focus on this, and they say that it's actually easier, comfortable, and more hygienic to deal with pads than cups if you are homeless and lacking regular access to showers, clean bathrooms, and privacy.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Lang Syne Boardie said:

I've read that cups are not ideal. There are charities that focus on this, and they say that it's actually easier, comfortable, and more hygienic to deal with pads than cups if you are homeless and lacking regular access to showers, clean bathrooms, and privacy.

Yeah, I've wondered about that too. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for remembering Stamp Out Hunger!

My late sister was a letter carrier and she loved Stamp Out Hunger day!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Thank you for remembering Stamp Out Hunger!

My late sister was a letter carrier and she loved Stamp Out Hunger day!

I've wondered if the carriers love it or hate it. I mean it must be a ton of extra work, but rewarding to see the donations pile up.  

Thats awesome she was a fan. 👍

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Target sometimes has the "buy several get a gift card" deals for pads etc.

Oh yeah! I love collecting those gift cards. :)

I've thought about giving them away instead of cash, but I never know if Target cards are actually helpful. We don't have much of a homeless "presence" where I live, although like everywhere there is a lot of food insecurity. I wonder if the food bank can distribute them? Most of the cards I get are only like $5, but it could be helpful?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Lang Syne Boardie said:

I've read that cups are not ideal. There are charities that focus on this, and they say that it's actually easier, comfortable, and more hygienic to deal with pads than cups if you are homeless and lacking regular access to showers, clean bathrooms, and privacy.

I can imagine this--I never did get the hang of using a cup in public. As it is, sometimes I feel like I really need to wash my hands before using the facilities, and that gets some weird looks. In places where there is a line, it's just impossible because people don't understand that sort of traffic flow in a busy bathroom. I really can't use a cup either--there may be some brand that works, but I didn't really like tampons either.

Kroger has frequent sales on products, and they give coupons in the mail if you buy them pretty often. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Yeah the upfront cost is more, but I more than made up for it in 3 months of not having to buy tampons. (3 months!!!)

I wonder if cups ever go on sale? And I wonder if they would be appreciated--like do most women know about them? I'd never heard of them until a convo here. 

Oh, I’ve been using one for years - 10? - and can only imagine the money saved.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Oh yeah! I love collecting those gift cards. 🙂

I've thought about giving them away instead of cash, but I never know if Target cards are actually helpful. We don't have much of a homeless "presence" where I live, although like everywhere there is a lot of food insecurity. I wonder if the food bank can distribute them? Most of the cards I get are only like $5, but it could be helpful?

It might be helpful, but I am guessing the food pantry has a list of frequently requested things. I'd probably spend the card on those items and donate the actual items. Maybe just keep getting more of the stuff that generates the gift cards.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had good luck buying feminine products when stores are going out of business. When our local Kmart closed, I bought lots of boxes at $1 or less. I also had good luck at the Dollar General clearance sale last weekend. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I used a Keeper cup for over a decade. When my daughter needed supplies, oh my. So expensive. I buy them at Costco, but really.

The advantages of menopause, indeed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Five.daughters.

On a serious note, though.  I have been spending much less since I started taking a prescription (Lysteda) to control heavy bleeding.  I didn't know until just a few years ago that I had abnormally heavy cycles.  I started taking Lysteda last year after I had a blood transfusion because my iron levels were dangerously low.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember the days when all the girls in the house needed those products and girls plus guys needed razors. Oh my. We ate a lot of beans. 

Edited by Seasider too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boy howdy, are they ever. Last tenant we had left a whole ton of stuff behind, including enough boxes of tampons to fill an entire recycling bag. I loaded them all up, trucked them down to the food bank. "I know it's not food, but somebody can use these, right?"

Got a lot of funny looks on the walk over, but the women in the food bank were very pleased!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, they are.  4 in my  house that use them. The priciest ones work way better than cheaper brands too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're even more expensive if you live in a state with a tampon tax (also called the pink tax). My state (Florida) only eliminated a tax on menstrual products a few years ago and most states still have such a tax. Last I recall there are only 9 states without a tampon tax. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

They're even more expensive if you live in a state with a tampon tax (also called the pink tax). My state (Florida) only eliminated a tax on menstrual products a few years ago and most states still have such a tax. Last I recall there are only 9 states without a tampon tax. 

😡😡😡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, prisoners. They're gouged on everything else, and with the low wages they get (if they get wages) basic hygiene products should be free, without having to demean themselves by begging guards for them.

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...