Menu

What's with the ads?

happysmileylady

Does your cell number match the area code you live in?

No, cell phone numbers are from when we lived in Texas and have Texas area codes. My DS even uses a cell number that used to belong to his grandmother. When she moved out of her house to assisted living, her land line number was changed to a cell phone numbers and we added her line to our family plan. After she died, we kept the cell active and eventually gave it to DS. It is kind of weird sometimes when he gets junk phone calls for his grandfather who sided when my DH was 18 yrs old (over 30 yrs ago). This particular phone number has been in the family since my husband was about 5 years olds, Although the area code did change many years back when Houston added a second area code.

Edited by City Mouse

My area code does not match dh’s area code and dd has a third area code.  Mine and dh’s haven’t matched our location in over 16 years.  

I am more suspicious of unknown calls from the area code of my cell since that’s what most of the spam/fraud calls use. 

• Like 1

A month or so ago, we got a magicJack  for DD to take with her when she goes to university in the USA.  I suggested to her, and she did this, that she get a phone number local to that city.  I also told her that it is possible she will have that phone number, for many years, regardless of where she lives. As you wrote, with Cell phones and unlimited calling and everything is going to VoIP if it is not already VoIP, there is lots of portability and IMO it is easier NOT to need to change your phone number. Every time I changed my phone number, Landline or Cell, I lost contact with some people.  So, while some may find it strange that a cell phone number isn't local to the city the person they are calling is using, others will find it perfectly normal, and I believe as time goes on that will be the norm.  DD has the magicApp installed on her Cell Phone now, using that same phone number.

Yes, although when we changed it when we moved to NC, the guy said he didn't understand why we needed to change our numbers.  I guess I just figured it was easiest to change to a local number.  

All of ours match but we've had our same numbers for about 10 years. However, it's normal now to see area codes that don't match so I don't think much of it anymore.

On a related note, when you give out your number do you say the words area code? Most people don't, they just give out the 10 digit number. My dh still does and I keep telling him it isn't necessary anymore. He'll say "Area code 123 <pause> 456-6789."  He's an old dog who only seems to be able to learn a limited number of new tricks. 😄 

I work for a telecom company in one of the last areas of the country to get number portability for phone numbers, so the majority of customers still have numbers with area codes that match this region.  But things are changing and it’s a pretty transient area, so more and more often numbers are ported in from other places.

i have had my cell number a very long time and it’s easy to remember, so I plan to take it with me eventually when I move somewhere else. DD24 still has her regional AK number even though she lives in Idaho these days.

Ours do match, but I think it's odd for anyone who doesn't live in a tiny little town where no one moves to be suspicious when they do not. 

My does but DH's doesn't.  I  assume all calls are junk no matter the area code if they aren't in my contact list they can leave a message.

11 hours ago, Lanny said:

A month or so ago, we got a magicJack  for DD to take with her when she goes to university in the USA.  I suggested to her, and she did this, that she get a phone number local to that city.  I also told her that it is possible she will have that phone number, for many years, regardless of where she lives. As you wrote, with Cell phones and unlimited calling and everything is going to VoIP if it is not already VoIP, there is lots of portability and IMO it is easier NOT to need to change your phone number. Every time I changed my phone number, Landline or Cell, I lost contact with some people.  So, while some may find it strange that a cell phone number isn't local to the city the person they are calling is using, others will find it perfectly normal, and I believe as time goes on that will be the norm.  DD has the magicApp installed on her Cell Phone now, using that same phone number.

Yes, for a very long time.  Kind of like ages ago when we all had land lines and the phone numbers never changed.  We've kind of come full circle, haven't we?  lol

• Like 1

Ours don’t match. We got the first one in town, so it’s our area code, but the Verizon store employees there are extremely unhelpful and quite ignorant, so I decided not to waste my time with them. The other phones were bought at a store a few hours away with a different area code.

• Like 1