Menu

What's with the ads?

happysmileylady

Does your cell number match the area code you live in?

Just curious.  In the last week, I have had several people act surprised, confused and in one case from CL, really suspicious, just because the area code on my cell phone was not local to here.  Now, on some level I get it, all those robo calls come from strange area codes, it sends up the red flags.

But at the same time, cell phones work everywhere, and it's super easy to port your number from one carrier to the next if you change carriers.  And large numbers of people don't even use home phones anymore.  Everyone I have known who has moved in this day and age has kept their same phone number, meaning that area codes are pretty much all over the place.  I am wondering if it's actually still pretty unusual for perfectly legit people to have area codes on their phone that doesn't match their location?

• Like 1

Mine matches. I thought that you couldn't keep a phone number that didn't match the area you lived.  I've had our carrier check with us if we are out of our area for a while to make sure we are still primarily using our cell phone in a certain area the majority of the time.

Mine does but my kids cellphone area code is for the next city. AT&T ran out of phone numbers for the area code for my area and they still have some left for the adjoining area. In our case it isn’t weird since both area codes are in adjoining areas. People also kept their phone numbers with San Francisco area code (415) when they moved down the peninsula. 

1 minute ago, JanOH said:

Mine matches. I thought that you couldn't keep a phone number that didn't match the area you lived.  I've had our carrier check with us if we are out of our area for a while to make sure we are still primarily using our cell phone in a certain area the majority of the time.

Really?  That seems weird....who is the carrier?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Just curious.  In the last week, I have had several people act surprised, confused and in one case from CL, really suspicious, just because the area code on my cell phone was not local to here.  Now, on some level I get it, all those robo calls come from strange area codes, it sends up the red flags.

But at the same time, cell phones work everywhere, and it's super easy to port your number from one carrier to the next if you change carriers.  And large numbers of people don't even use home phones anymore.  Everyone I have known who has moved in this day and age has kept their same phone number, meaning that area codes are pretty much all over the place.  I am wondering if it's actually still pretty unusual for perfectly legit people to have area codes on their phone that doesn't match their location?

Who or what is CL?  

No mine doesn't match.  Nor my boys.  Dh's is the only one in our family that matches our area.  I get many customers whose area code doesn't match our area.  I think it is just the wave of the future.  

• Like 1

I've had the same cell phone # for 20 years; when we moved across the country 12 years ago, I didn't bother to change my number. Occasionally people remark on it but not in a suspicious way, more like "huh, where's that area code from?"  But I come across loads of people whose area code does not reflect where they live.  Personally, as in people I really know (such as college students), but also in my work: I do customer service for a nationwide bank, so I see people's addresses and phone #s when they call in.  It's not at all unusual for an area code not to match the address.  It's possible that it's more typical for younger people though I have not studied it. :-)

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

There are 3 area codes where we live and they used to be zones for 2 of them, but now it's mostly mixed up.  I have the original area code from way back, but my kids have a new one they made about 15 years ago.  I do get suspicious if I don't recognize a local number and I don't answer the phone.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JanOH said:

In the last 6 years, I have lived in 3 different area codes and had 3 different cell carriers, and in 2 different states.  But I have maintained the same cell phone number I have had....shoot I think since I got married lol.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Who or what is CL?  

No mine doesn't match.  Nor my boys.  Dh's is the only one in our family that matches our area.  I get many customers whose area code doesn't match our area.  I think it is just the wave of the future.  

CL=Craigslist

• Haha 1

Just now, happysmileylady said:

CL=Craigslist

Ha.  Ok.  I should have known that.  🙂

Ours match but only because I moved here back when you couldn't move numbers between carriers and my original carrier didn't have good signal in the new area. Also a problem that's pretty much a non issue these days. 

But I thought everyone kept their number. I wouldn't bat an eye if someone gave me a number with a different area code. 

I’ve had my same cell phone number since my very first cell phone nearly 24 years ago. It IS from my area code because I’ve never been lucky enough to move outside this area. 😜

• Like 2

Nope, and it hasn’t for the last ten years or so.  When I’m responding to a CL ad or something, I always give some other identifying info like what city I’m in or cross streets so the person knows I’m not a scammer.

2 minutes ago, WendyAndMilo said:

Nope, and it hasn’t for the last ten years or so.  When I’m responding to a CL ad or something, I always give some other identifying info like what city I’m in or cross streets so the person knows I’m not a scammer.

I totally try to do that.  I might say something like "I recently moved here" or "I could meet at the McDs on Pike road" or whatever.  

• Like 1

Just now, StaceyinLA said:

I’ve had my same cell phone number since my very first cell phone nearly 24 years ago. It IS from my area code because I’ve never been lucky enough to move outside this area. 😜

I have the same number from the beginning too.  

I have a matching area code - the original one. DH and DDs have the new area code for this area.

We live in a gated community with a phone box for access for guests. The residents put their number in a system and the gate phone box only uses a three digit code to call you to set up the phone call so you can authorize remote access. The HOA board didn't realize that all those non-local area code cell phones were long distance calls for the land line based gate phone system, so a large chunk of change was going to those phone bills for years before anyone realized it. It really became obvious when more people seemed to stop purchasing the remotes and were just using the gate phone to call their own cell to gain access to the neighborhood. The gate phone system was changed so this is no longer an issue. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Nope, my area code doesn’t match my local area and it hasn’t for about 10 years now. Sometimes it throws people off (locally, when someone asks for my number they make an assumption about the area code) but with everyone primarily using cell phones now, I feel like this is becoming way more common. 

• Like 1

No, although it matches where we used to live (northern VA) before we moved last summer. Although NoVA has several area codes, so even there, many people have different area codes from each other.  My sons all had different area codes than I did for my cell.

Here in Ohio, since it's a military area, most people have different area codes.  So far no one has batted an eye.  We're in the same area as you, Happysmilylady--I'm surprised anyone was surprised!  It's so transient here!  

My area code does not match my current location. And even though DH and I both got our cell phones when we lived in our previous city, he and I have different area codes, because there were two area codes assigned to that area. DD17's cell phone has a third area code, because she got hers a few years ago when we moved here. And the younger three have a fourth area code, because that is what they were assigned when they got their phones this Christmas. One family, one house, four area codes.

I haven't had anyone think that it's weird or be concerned. It's much easier to keep the same phone number, even after moving or switching cell phone carriers. Years ago, you used to have to change your number each time, and that was a pain.

Heck no!  Everyone thinks mine is a typo for the more common one in our area, because it is one digit off, but it is from up north.  And yeah, people act super confused which is weird given how many military members are in the area!

• Like 1

Yes, because we've lived in this city since we got married. But I know plenty of people whose numbers don't match the local area code. Many people come here from elsewhere for school or work. 

Yes, but I live in a transient city where people come and go so it never surprises me when someone has a different area code. At this point, it's like a where you're from. Ooh, you have a 404, I was born in Atlanta! Or, oh, you're from California? Or, hey, I went to college in 413!

• Like 1

Mine matches, as does DH's. We still have the boys on our plan, which means that DS23's doesn't match where he lives now, and DS20's doesn't match the majority of the year when he's living in his university town. I don't think it's a big deal at all. I suspect it's almost as common for the area code to not match as it is for it to match.

• Like 1

Yes, ours do.  My friends whose cell phones have different area codes had gotten their cell phone number while living elsewhere.  My cell number has always been the same since I got my first cell back in the early 1990s.  If I moved, I would not change my number.

But as for being suspicious, I am generally suspicious of any caller I don't know, especially if from an area code I am not familiar with.  There are certain area codes that are monopolized by spam callers and toll numbers.

Yes, but that's because I bought this phone here in Texas, before our numbers could be ported.

Yes.

The area code for where I lived in Arizona was 480.  The area code where I live now is 408.  I had to change it because no one was dialing the correct number.  They assumed I made a mistake in typing it in.  If the numbers had not been so close I might have kept the old one, but the problems were too big.

• Like 3

I think it's going to get more common to have area codes from all over as people move and transport their cell phone #'s with them wherever they go.

2dd's (got her's here) and dsil's (from Arizona) area codes don't match where they live. (texas)

ours do, because we lived in this area when we got cell phones.

Mine matches, because we've been here forever, but I don't expect others to have the local area code. People move. I'm surprised that anyone was confused.

Mine matches because I've lived here for 18 years. But non-matching doesn't phase me at all, because I live in northern Virginia. People are moving in and out of here all the time between the military and government. I don't expect people to change their cell when they move. That's one of the benefits of a cell number.

My kids’ numbers have local area codes here in PA. I have the same NJ number I had 14 years ago before moving. (We actually transferred our landline number before we got rid of it, too.) Dh has a NY number for work, which is also his personal phone.

nm

Edited by ```

Nope!  And it’s great.  I have a 415, which does not raise *any* eyebrows in Seattle.  And since spam calls usually pretend to be local, most of my spam is from 415.  Anytime I get a call from a random 415 number I can safely ignore it, because it isn’t the daycare or the hospital or something else about my kids.  They would all have local numbers.  Highly recommend.

49 minutes ago, JenneinCA said:

Yes.

The area code for where I lived in Arizona was 480.  The area code where I live now is 408.  I had to change it because no one was dialing the correct number.  They assumed I made a mistake in typing it in.  If the numbers had not been so close I might have kept the old one, but the problems were too big.

This happens to me ALL THE TIME.

Ours all match. Well, I guess they don't now, because one moved to IN, one to CA, one to VT, and one to TX. So dh and I match, but only one kid. We have a new Eagle Scout helping us out tonight, and I was startled to see Iowa on my phone last night. Did you know that WY still only has ONE area code? 

• Like 1

I've had the same cell phone number for 20 years.  NJ has so many area codes and they are all mixed up at this point.  Some they expanded into cell phones first, then started using them for land lines in new areas.   We all have numbers with area codes for our general (northern nj) area but not the typical one you would get when signing up for a land line in our immediate area.

I had no idea that was a thing. In the UK there's no relationship. 

Mine does, but my son (who lives in another state) is on our plan, so his doesn't match his location.  It never surprises me when someone's area code isn't local.  In this day and age, people move so often that it's commonplace to keep your number so friends and family can keep up with you.  

As for suspicious calls, I'm suspicious of every call I receive that doesn't trigger my caller ID.  I've had a few embarrassing and awkward conversation openers when I answered with suspicion and the caller turned out to be my sister-in-law or someone I knew well, but didn't have their number programed in because they changed their number.  But, I am so sick of AI calls pretending to be real people, I'm suspicious of anyone who acts too happy to be talking to me, lol.    

• Like 1

DH was traveling for work with some coworkers on 9/11, so I had no way to reach him.  We got our first cell phone after that.  I still have that phone number.  DH got a new one when we got a 2nd phone.  We moved several states away 10 years ago, then to another part of the state where we got the first phones.  Never changed numbers.  When dd and ds got phones, they got the same area code that we have, even though it’s not local.

It does now, but it won't for long.  My kids have moved from our hometown but kept their original cell number so none of theirs matches their present home area codes.  I think that's pretty common nowadays. 

Mine does, but I changed carriers in 2013 and wanted a new number. 75% of my contacts that live in this area don't have the same area code. Even my mom has an out of state cell number because she's on my sister's plan out of state. 

No. We recently moved to another state. As a matter of fact, neither me, dh, or any of our kids have a cell with the same area code where any of us live.  I’ve never had anyone act surprised about it, but we lived in Illinois and spent a lot of time in Wisconsin and Iowa so I think they were used to it there. It’s not unusual to live in one state but work in the adjacent one. 

My area code matches, but my prefix is specific to a county in which I no longer live. But I like my cell phone number--we moved 9 years ago; I wouldn't consider changing it!

It's not unusual where I live for people to have area codes from out of state. It's not typical, but it's not surprising.

8 hours ago, JenneinCA said:

This is why I had to change my number, too. In my case, it was just the last digit that was off (like 306 vs 308), and everyone thought it was a typo and would use the local area code instead of the correct one. Mostly it was just an inconvenience, but after a relative was hospitalized and no one could get ahold of me because they were calling the wrong number, I requested a new number with the local code. But DD is on her dad's plan, so she has a totally different area code, which luckily isn't similar to any local codes, so she isn't going to change it. And obviously when DS is away at school his area code is not local.

Edited by Corraleno

6 hours ago, Suzanne in ABQ said:

In this day and age, people move so often that it's commonplace to keep your number so friends and family can keep up with you.  

I think if you live in an area where it is not common for people to move in & out often, the different area codes do surprise you.

I live in a small farming town where you aren't considered a local unless your grandparents were born here. So, we've been here almost 16 years but are considered 'new' and even somewhat 'transient.' I have just started seeing different area codes in the last year or so. Our area codes match. My cell uses a prefix (not the area code, but the three digits after that) that is not local to here. That was highly unusual when we moved here, but not anymore.

• Like 1