Menu

What's with the ads?

genny

online writing courses pls help me find one

I need to outsource writing instruction for my kiddos.  I really like ability in this subject, so I need an instructor who can take their work critique it, fix and explain grammar problems etc...  My kids are great readers but because of lack of instruction really beginners at writing.  Ages are 8-13.  I've been looking at iew's boot camp and regular semesters.  Anyone have experience using this online program?  Anyone use any other online course with a live instructor? Experiences... I'm not sure where to look lol.

TIA:)

We have enjoyed Angela Harris (Outschool)’s classes, both live classes and flex schedule. At first, I was curious how the flex schedule would work with my child, but fortunately  it worked out quite well. I think having participated in the live classes before also helped set the expectations.

Angela’s teaching and insightful feedback have helped my tween’s writing skills blossom. As they approach the teen years, my kids seem to process external teachers’ writing feedback more constructively  than mine. Thus, I begin to outsource at this point (with this child in particular, I hadn’t had the opportunity to do much formal writing instruction, so I’m grateful for the progress with Angela).  She mentioned her summer schedule will be posted soon, we can’t wait. She is a former Bravewriter instructor and as such was held in high esteem in this forum (which is how I first learned about her). Her Outschool is at: https://outschool.com/teachers/Angela-Harris#us1WkQx8yR

I am also intrigued about  Schole Academy’s Writing and Rhetoric online classes. I have one of the books and they’re amazing. https://www.scholeacademy.com/by-subject/writing/

I’ve also heard good reviews on: http://www.onlinescribblers.com/ourmission.htmlhttps://bravewriter.com/

Hope this helps 🙂.  

Thanks for the info:)  Will look into them.  Anyone else have experience with outsourcing writing.  Really need advice in this subject!

R

We have tried IEW SWI B online (for 8th grade last year) and this year Open Tent for writing. The first semester of the IEW class wasn't great because the teacher (Osborne) didn't have tight class management. My son is easily distracted so it was an effort to keep his eyes on the teacher and his fingers away from the keyboard (for inane, time wasting chat comments). The second semester I switched teachers and I don't remember her name, sorry. I don't even think she still teaches for them, however. That class was excellent. Overall, the amount and level of work expected by IEW was great and worth the money.  If you don't want to do the online route, you can purchase the DVD's and binders (on their website or used at Ebay) which is how I teach my younger children using IEW. The online IEW classes, though, give you a teacher to teach, review and grade work, a grammar component, and, of course, outside accountability. IEW offers writing courses for all the ages you mentioned.

Open Tent has been a mixed bag for us. The class (All About Essays grades 8-11) has required something like  11 essays (of four-five different kinds) which has been too much for my slow writing DS to manage. The class started in mid October and ends at the end of May with a final exam of 50 questions all short answer/fill in blank. I don't sweat his progress though. He's in 9th grade and only started formal writing instruction in 8th grade. He writes very well, he's just not fast yet. I have had him complete 6 of the required essays  so far (some essays he needed to do 5 rough drafts) and they are quite well done. He has written expository, persuasive, and comparison/contrast essays so far. I will still have him write one-two narrative essays this summer to complete the writing part of his English credit. The other forms practiced were SAT timed analytical essays. For me, these were not crucial to complete because the SAT for my 9th grader is pretty far off (the course takes up to 11th graders).

Style requirements for the Open Tent class ramped up for each paper to the point where there were so many on the checklists it became difficult to "shoehorn" them into one, five paragraph paper, even with long paragraphs. At that point I made an executive decision that DS would not be a "slave" to a checklist of style points and would use just what sounded good. : ) He did use most of them, and all of them on many occasions, and It never seemed to hurt his grades!! Also, the Open Tent class met only about twice a month which was not a problem for me, and gave DS time to write several drafts of his essays, but this could be a problem for others. Open Tent has many other writing classes for all ages and they may be run differently, so ymmv  and you should still check them out. I will also say that we now have a huge binder full of info about writing common types of essays (like a textbook) and I really appreciate it. This will be revisited for practice I'm sure!

In about a week, DS will start  an advanced writing class for high schoolers taught online at Home2teach. Its a summer class that meets once per week for six weeks. It's just a short class to bolster his speed at writing different forms of essays (comparison /contrast, descriptive, process, cause and effect, etc.) The format is paragraphs so the class can move quickly with different formats in the short time available. Home2Teach has many, many different writing classes ranging from basic to advanced (ages 8-18) that typically meet for short duration and seem reasonably priced.  After the class is over (in June) I can give a more informed review.

Check out the Master Online Class list which is posted (pinned) on these boards. There are a LOT of providers to look into! HTH!!!!

Edited by CAtoVA
  • Like 1

Thank you sooo much CAtoVA very helpful info.  I'm not on here often, could someone post a link to the master class list?  Where do I look on this site for this list?