Menu

Cordless battery lawn type appliances?

Pen

Especially Weed whacker, perhaps lawnmower...   any experience pro or con?  There now seem to be 80v models, but perhaps heavy and mix d reviews.  

For example:

BLACK+DECKER LSTE525 20V MAX Lithium Easy Feed String Trimmer/Edger with 2 Batteries https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019Z72FN8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QR20CbCMR23TN

Greenworks PRO 16-Inch 80V Cordless String Trimmer, 2.0 AH Battery Included ST80L210 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CA4PRRO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7S20Cb29HY1JX

I've got the Greenworks pole pruner-- not sure if that's what they call it. It has good battery life and works well. The instructions were slightly lacking for one issue we encountered, but I like it and I'm glad I bought it. I wear out before the battery runs down, though I'm not usually continually sawing things down for all that long.

• Like 1

I have that black and decker trimmer and it works great.  No complaints about weight or weirdness out use from DS who does the trimming when I don’t.  It does brush really well and accidentally took out a blueberry bush and raspberry bush ( teen didn’t realize how close they were to it). 

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1

We have a weed eater/leaf blower combo. Ours is a 20v Worx brand, maybe from Lowes? I don't remember. The battery runs out sooooo quickly. Luckily it came with a spare, so DH can kind of bounce back and forth between batteries (but they run out faster than they can charge). 

• Like 1

I have the black and decker cultivator- works great only goes about 30 minutes on charge.

leaf blower only goes about 30 minutes doesn’t have much power but works good getting leaves out of areas that have bark mulch- gets leaves not strong enough to blow the mulch.

weed trimmer again only about 30 minutes

all are light in weight so easy to handle

• Like 1

I hate ours. We have the heavier duty batteries and it still dies before I get done with the edging. We have a ton of edging though since we have a sidewalk. For light to moderate work it would be fine. My kids use the blower for the sidewalks and it seems ok. Nowhere near as powerful as the gas blower the neighbor's lawn company uses.

57 minutes ago, ashfern said:

I hate ours. We have the heavier duty batteries and it still dies before I get done with the edging. We have a ton of edging though since we have a sidewalk. For light to moderate work it would be fine. My kids use the blower for the sidewalks and it seems ok. Nowhere near as powerful as the gas blower the neighbor's lawn company uses.

I can’t use gas type, so that’s not option.

what type do u hate?

4 hours ago, MEmama said:

We once had a cordless mower that caught on fire. 

Probably not much of a consideration, but it can happen.

Yikes. I better look up if that’s common.  Any idea what made it catch fire

14 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

We used to have an electric weed whacker but we found it didn't hold it's power.  I have a gas powered one that I love.  It's heavy though.  We've also had electric ones, and they're lighter.  

Do you recall what model wasn’t holding its power?

24 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

We have a battery powered trimmer/weed wacker/weed eater and it lasts for about 45 minutes.  Almost long enough to trim the entire yard.  

Do you know exact model?

3 hours ago, Pen said:

Yikes. I better look up if that’s common.  Any idea what made it catch fire

Who knows. It was from Canadian Tire, so not really a surprise. I doubt it's common in a higher quality product. 

They did offer to fix it for us though (not replace, mind you, but fix). IIRC we would have it back in "only" 3 months or so. Um, summer doesn't even last that long! Lol

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2019 at 10:40 AM, Pen said:

I can’t use gas type, so that’s not option.

what type do u hate?

Current one is Ryobi. Again, my issue is that it doesn't last long enough to do the job in 1 go. It's way better than the Black & Decker that we used to have.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arctic_bunny said:

We have the Stihl lawnmower, that uses the same batteries as the other cordless tools. Works really well, light enough for the kids to mow. Note: we have a relatively tiny lawn, so no idea how long a battery lasts for.

The website says ours goes for 330 square metres. Which is ..... 3552 square feet. 

• Like 1

I am in love with my Ryobi cordless lawnmower.  It's so lightweight.  It feels like a toy and it sounds like a box fan, but it cuts and bags my grass with very little effort.  My yard is only 1/5th of an acre.  If I had a bigger lawn, I'd get a second battery so I could swap out when one died.  My 70-year-old mom bought one after I let her play with mine (I'm generous like that).

• Like 1