Menu

Tell Me About Lantern English aka Simply Verbose X-Post

Do you have any experience with Lantern English online classes (used to be called Simply Verbose)? I'm thinking about maybe having my high schooler (rising 10th) and middle schooler (rising 6th) take some classes next year. I'm looking at both literature and writing classes. Some experienced reviews would be helpful!!

Thanks!!!!

My daughter thrived in the Essay Basics writing class with Mrs. Grape.  I saw her approach her written narrations and essays with more enthusiasm and confidence after her class with Lantern. I think it was good for her (and me) to have an outside voice.  We have been working through WWS and this was a nice break for both of us. I was pleased with the assignments, instructions and communication. Mrs. Grape was also very responsive and helpful with my placement questions. We will continue working through WWS, but I hope to enroll my daughter in another Lantern course next year. 

• Like 2

We just finished a quarter of Lantern English classes.  Essay Basics, Advanced Essay, and Expository Essay

Pros- The teachers were both very responsive and understanding.  The assignments were interesting to the kids.  It filled a writing gap this year for my kids.  

Cons- I thought the pace was a bit too fast.  Now, we did take the 9 week course, so maybe that's just how they work.  Each assignment was one week long.  the 2 upper level classes had to write a 3-5 page essay every week, and there wasn't any time for revisions, or second drafts.  They got very good feedback after they turned in a paper, but it would have been nice to have a chance for revision.  One paper was returned to my oldest to redo as he misunderstood the directions, but then he had to redo that 3-5 pager and also write another one in the same week.  

I thought about doing their writing program for the year, but I just thought the pace was too much.  We always felt very rushed.  The emphasis was on doing rather than learning n my opinion.  BUT, it filled a writing gap for my kids this year and they did learn something.  

-K

• Like 2

We found the pace manageable and the only adjustment I made was omitting WWS. She was able to keep pace with her other school work which included a weekly written narration without any trouble. In fact, I saw her carrying over skills from the class into her narrations. This is something I've been trying to get her to do for a while.  I debated whether to place my daughter in Essay Basics or the next level up. While I believe she could have done the next level, I think the pace and output would have been more demanding and I might have needed to make more adjustments. The Essay Basic class didn't necessarily present new information for her, but it allowed her to receive instruction and feedback in another way, by a different voice and to put those skills to practice. 

• Like 2