Menu

Tell Me About Lantern English aka Simply Verbose

CAtoVA

Do you have any experience with Lantern English online classes (used to be called Simply Verbose)? I'm thinking about maybe having my high schooler (rising 10th) and middle schooler (rising 6th) take some classes next year. I'm looking at both literature and writing classes. Some experienced reviews would be helpful!! I'm also posting on the high school board.

Thanks!!!!

We did classes this year and were very pleased.  Now, the kids who did them were solid writers ( one very strong.). I wanted both children to write for someone else—particularly my eighth grader who I knew would be more motivated.  It worked beautifully for this purpose.  I felt the feedback was good.( They did Essay Basics practice(8th),expository essay, persuasive essay and exploratory essay (10th).

One thing to know is that it is an intense pace—usually one essay a week (note page lengths of the classes.)You may need to make room in the schedule depending on your child’s speed with writing. This may not apply to your younger child, we didn’t do lower classes.

Cati will work with you on placement so feel free to contact her.  She is great to work with.

• Like 2

Thank you!! Yes, I did notice the expected output was high at one completed essay (5 paragraphs ++ ) per week. That would concern me for my DS (rising 10th). He writes well but is not speedy yet. I'm guessing the literature classes may have fewer essays (?)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CAtoVA said:

Thank you!! Yes, I did notice the expected output was high at one completed essay (5 paragraphs ++ ) per week. That would concern me for my DS (rising 10th). He writes well but is not speedy yet. I'm guessing the literature classes may have fewer essays (?)

The pace helps a lot with developing speed, but you may not want to also do literature for that child during the same week. One mother I know alternates quarters of lit and writing.

• Like 1

Oh my, how I would LOVE to increase DS's speed but I think it would stress him too much at this point. He is now finishing Open Tent's All About Essays online class and I had to make the executive decision that his output had to be GOOD this year and not necessarily prolific. He completed about 1/2 of the required essays but what he completed were truly excellent and represented tremendous progress in his writing. At times he needed 8-10 rough drafts to "get" skills, etc., but that's okay with me because, as I said, the end result was excellent. I'm big on proper form and accuracy first, and speed after that. : )

I also had to hold off on some literature material while he was deep into an essay so I know what you mean about rotating the subjects.