Menu

If you left MM after 6th grade

mom2kando

Can you share what you moved to for pre algebra? MM has worked, but this year more than once a week my dd has grown frustrated with presentation/wording of problems.  I'm also seeing some gaps in her knowledge  (most recently shapes lol).  She is definitely ready for pre algebra but we need something new (and with online instruction live or recorded...to save our relationship) the plan has been to move into Foerster for algebra. I've looked at mr. D but am also thinking maybe a year of Saxon with Nicole the math lady to drill the basics? She is a very logical and rigid thinker when it comes to math. She much much prefers writing and reading😊

We did use MM7 for my 2nd two kids, but my oldest moved right from public school to using Video Text (no MM at all) and it was a very successful transition. The first module covers pre-algebra topics and it's a great conceptual program.

• Like 3

• mom2kando changed the title to If you left MM after 6th grade

We went to Teaching Textbooks and my son placed squarely into the 7 book after doing MM 6. He definitely could not go straight to pre-algebra, but one of the reasons we switched was because he needed a lot more review, so he probably had forgotten some math at that point.

• Like 1

I semi-moved halfway through MM6, in part because of issues with the geometry (I'm one of many I've seen that feels geometry is one of the weaker areas of MM).

My older two who have gone through it did a page of Math Essential and a page of MM6 in a related area or an area they needed to work on each day so they didn't do all of the second half MM6.  With Math Essentials, the video lessons are nice and straightforward, the review worked well, I mainly used book 2 though added in some parts of book 1 (easily done with PDFs to print out), and I felt it gave a good overall check of any gaps before moving onto MEP 7 and secondary level maths. They also have a geometry specific book which I'm considering for my currently Year 5 child for next year as she's struggling even more with the issues of geometry in MM, though Math Essentials doesn't have videos for the supplement books.  

Dd also used the Dolciani PreA after MM 6. She took the class through Wilson Hill and it was an excellent course. 

Dd did Right Start A-E, then MM 5-6, then Dolciani for PreA and Alg 1. 

MM is weak on Geometry imo. Since I figured that out, we have supplemented a bit and skipped a good many of the MM geometry lessons. Yes, weak on basics like identifying shapes! 

Edited by ScoutTN

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

Dd also used the Dolciani PreA after MM 6. She took the class through Wilson Hill and it was an excellent course. 

Dd did Right Start A-E, then MM 5-6, then Dolciani for PreA and Alg 1. 

MM is weak on Geometry imo. Since I figured that out, we have supplemented a bit and skipped a good many of the MM geometry lessons. Yes, weak on basics like identifying shapes! 

What did you supplement with for geometry?  Does Dolciani pre-algebra cover statistics and probability?

10 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

What did you supplement with for geometry?  Does Dolciani pre-algebra cover statistics and probability?

I just used random geometry lessons I found on the web, aimed at grades 5-7, choosing things MM didn't cover. I got a couple of inexpensive math workbooks for 6th grade(Abeka from a books sale for $2, Spectrum from thrift for 50 cents) and used some from there too. 

Yes, Ch 12 of the PreA we have is Probability and Statistics. 

• Like 1

We had the very same issues! MM was great through 5A and then after that we struggled so much. I switched my girls to CLE and we have never looked back! When I gave them placement tests, they placed a level below. With my oldest who was in 6th and 12 at the time, instead of placing her in 500, I placed her in the 600 series but also bought the supplemental materials. There are 3 books - Algebra, Geometry, and Fractions/proportions - that CLE offers as refresher workbooks. They include the lessons where any of the concepts were taught from series 300-800. It was an amazing way for my daughter to get caught up! We didn't do everything, just what she needed to be able to jump right in to 600. The math seems so simple how they teach it, but there is a method to the madness! Both my girls love math now, and have learned so much and their confidence is soaring!

• Like 1