Menu

Tips for organizing a small kitchen

J-rap

We're moving soon, and the kitchen will be small.  That's fine with me...  I cook a lot, but on a day to day basis it's generally just two or three of us.  I like keeping minimal supplies in the kitchen (I'm not a three-of-everything person).  At the same time, it IS small, and I want to use the space as efficiently as possible.  So, I'm looking for set-up tips, storage tips, ease of use tips, etc.

It's too hard to say without knowing what sorts of things you consider essential.  For example, in my small kitchen, I have no microwave, no stand mixer, no slow cooker (I used to and it died, so it did earn it's place when I had one), no food processor.  The only electric gizmos I have are an immersion blender, hand mixer, and toaster, all of which are stored away, not out.  Oh wait, I also have an electric kettle, it's stored on the counter.  

I have three large drawers (silverware, cookware, and foil/ziplocs/etc), two small drawers (spices, "junk" drawer).  

I have one large frying pan, that's it.  It lives on the stovetop.  

• Like 2

I’d start with thinking about your small appliances.  I can’t stand to keep anything other than the Keurig on the counter, so my biggest challenge was minimizing and figuring out where to store small (which aren’t so small in a small kitchen) appliances.  I ditched my food processor, my toaster oven, and my waffle iron.  I had previously ditched my bread machine (a long time ago) and my Kitchen Aid mixer (because I just don’t bake a lot). I kept my Instant Pot, my George Foreman grill, immersion blender, hand mixer, and my Vitamix blender.  Finding homes for small appliances was the most challenging. If you don’t mind having them on the counter, that’s probably less of an issue. With a small space, things looks cluttered in a hurry, so I do my best to keep counters as clear as possible. 

Beyond that, I had one large drawer that had a ton of utensils in it.  It was quite a mess until I purchased some small flat containers at BB&B so I could categorize knives, spatulas, serving spoons, etc.  I got four long ones, and two short ones so I could group these types of things by length as well.  I store infrequently used bakeware up high in my cabinets. Anything that you can nest (casserole dishes, bowls, etc) will help. I have one skinny, tall cabinet to the right of my range which is very helpful for storing cookie sheets and cooling racks.  

ETA: I was fortunate to have one sort of odd, triangular-shaped cabinet that was pretty useless for anything OTHER than storing spices.  It’s not in the most convenient place, so I do pull whatever I need for the recipe I am preparing before I start cooking.  However, I’m glad to have it as it holds a lot, and I don’t have my spices commingled with anything else. 

Edited by Hoggirl
  • Like 2

In the drawer just to the right of the range top I put my most-used utensils. Every thing in that drawer has a place and if I find anything misfiled I give everyone a slightly snitty refresher on the organization of that drawer and how I don't want to have to fumble around in there. Lesser used utensils have a place in a different, messier drawer. 

I also try to keep the counters clear, and have a drawer of BB&B bins for silverware and one for medium-used utensils.

I don't know that my kitchen is "small", maybe medium. After we had settled into the house I spent some time casually monitoring myself to identify annoying things about the kitchen and how I could fix them. That one drawer made the most difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoggirl said:

I’d start with thinking about your small appliances.  I can’t stand to keep anything other than the Keurig on the counter, so my biggest challenge was minimizing and figuring out where to store small (which aren’t so small in a small kitchen) appliances.  I ditched my food processor, my toaster oven, and my waffle iron.  I had previously ditched my bread machine (a long time ago) and my Kitchen Aid mixer (because I just don’t bake a lot). I kept my Instant Pot, my George Foreman grill, immersion blender, hand mixer, and my Vitamix blender.  Finding homes for small appliances was the most challenging. If you don’t mind having them on the counter, that’s probably less of an issue. With a small space, things looks cluttered in a hurry, so I do my best to keep counters as clear as possible. 

Beyond that, I had one large drawer that had a ton of utensils in it.  It was quite a mess until I purchased some small flat containers at BB&B so I could categorize knives, spatulas, serving spoons, etc.  I got four long ones, and two short ones so I could group these types of things by length as well.  I store infrequently used bakeware up high in my cabinets. Anything that you can nest (casserole dishes, bowls, etc) will help. I have one skinny, tall cabinet to the right of my range which is very helpful for storing cookie sheets and cooling racks.  

ETA: I was fortunate to have one sort of odd, triangular-shaped cabinet that was pretty useless for anything OTHER than storing spices.  It’s not in the most convenient place, so I do pull whatever I need for the recipe I am preparing before I start cooking.  However, I’m glad to have it as it holds a lot, and I don’t have my spices commingled with anything else. 

I've been thinking about appliances, and probably the only things I'd want handy and out all the time are our Keurig, espresso maker, and toaster.  Really the only other ones I have but I'd rather keep them under the counter are the blender, slow cooker, and hand mixer.  I actually just got ride of our bread machine yesterday!  I can't quite remember all the cabinets, but your triangular one does sound perfect!  I do tend to have a lot of spices...

I spent a lot of energy figuring out how to organize my kitchen to work more efficiently for me, and to stay more organized. We're moving soon but I learned some things that I think apply to any kitchen:

-Baskets as drawers. I had a small, inefficient pantry. I lined the shelves with baskets (I like the y-weave ones from Target), LABELED each basket and then use them like slide-out drawers. So for instance, I have a basket for pasta. I have one for breads. I have one for sauces and spreads (honey, pb, syrup).

-Baskets for grouping and containment. Instead of a group of extracts sitting on a shelf, put them in a basket. Instead of various piles of measuring cups (I tried hanging them on the door but the banging drove me batty) and silicone baking cups, group them in a basket.

-A SpiceStack for spices.

-If the budget allows, installing pull outs in cabinets is truly a game-changer. I haunted Lowe's and Home Depot for a few weeks and was able to pick up one that had been returned for a steal, and got two others from Amazon. They did not take long to install (I did them by myself) and it is delightful to not ever lose stuff at the back of a cabinet. All the small appliances are in one. All the storage, plastics, etc in another. Oh, and small appliances: we have, for instance, an egg cooker which my dh loves and uses. It used to just be small parts floating around. Now I have *another* basket (!!!) that all the egg cooker pieces go in, on the pullout drawer.

Good luck!

ETA: THIS is wonderful too! No more lifting up multiple pans to get the one I needed. And it forces me to only keep the amount that fit in it.

Edited by Rockhopper
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

It's too hard to say without knowing what sorts of things you consider essential.  For example, in my small kitchen, I have no microwave, no stand mixer, no slow cooker (I used to and it died, so it did earn it's place when I had one), no food processor.  The only electric gizmos I have are an immersion blender, hand mixer, and toaster, all of which are stored away, not out.  Oh wait, I also have an electric kettle, it's stored on the counter.  

I have three large drawers (silverware, cookware, and foil/ziplocs/etc), two small drawers (spices, "junk" drawer).  

I have one large frying pan, that's it.  It lives on the stovetop.  

I definitely want to cut back on my pots and pans...  I have way more than I need right now.  (I like to keep the ones I use almost every day on my stovetop, as you do.)  The trickier part will be knowing what to keep of things that I rarely use, but do use from time to time:  cake tins, muffin tins, waffle maker...  I guess those things would go in the harder-to-reach cupboards.  I don't like to keep too many things on the counter because that would give me more work space, but it's hard to visualize how much I can put in the cupboards.

59 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Go up the walls and inside the cabinet doors for storage.  This is one of my absolutely favorite hacks! It’s the most underutilized space in the kitchen, IMO.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/storage-organization/inspiring-inside-cabinet-door-storage-ideas/

And hanging measuring cup and spoon storage and conversion charts are so smart - and take stuff off counters and out of drawers into the inside cabinet blank space. Loooove!

Thanks for posting this! I pinned it- I can already see several ideas that will be great in our new place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

Go up the walls and inside the cabinet doors for storage.  This is one of my absolutely favorite hacks! It’s the most underutilized space in the kitchen, IMO.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/storage-organization/inspiring-inside-cabinet-door-storage-ideas/

And hanging measuring cup and spoon storage and conversion charts are so smart - and take stuff off counters and out of drawers into the inside cabinet blank space. Loooove!

Great ideas there! I just bookmarked that site.  I'd been thinking about how I can better organize my measuring cups and spoons.  🙂 

42 minutes ago, Rockhopper said:

I spent a lot of energy figuring out how to organize my kitchen to work more efficiently for me, and to stay more organized. We're moving soon but I learned some things that I think apply to any kitchen:

-Baskets as drawers. I had a small, inefficient pantry. I lined the shelves with baskets (I like the y-weave ones from Target), LABELED each basket and then use them like slide-out drawers. So for instance, I have a basket for pasta. I have one for breads. I have one for sauces and spreads (honey, pb, syrup).

-Baskets for grouping and containment. Instead of a group of extracts sitting on a shelf, put them in a basket. Instead of various piles of measuring cups (I tried hanging them on the door but the banging drove me batty) and silicone baking cups, group them in a basket.

-A SpiceStack for spices.

-If the budget allows, installing pull outs in cabinets is truly a game-changer. I haunted Lowe's and Home Depot for a few weeks and was able to pick up one that had been returned for a steal, and got two others from Amazon. They did not take long to install (I did them by myself) and it is delightful to not ever lose stuff at the back of a cabinet. All the small appliances are in one. All the storage, plastics, etc in another. Oh, and small appliances: we have, for instance, an egg cooker which my dh loves and uses. It used to just be small parts floating around. Now I have *another* basket (!!!) that all the egg cooker pieces go in, on the pullout drawer.

Good luck!

ETA: THIS is wonderful too! No more lifting up multiple pans to get the one I needed. And it forces me to only keep the amount that fit in it.

Lots of good tips -- thanks!  Also, I LOVE the pan holder.  That's always been an issue for me!

I have previously used a rack above the stove to hang all pans that had a sturdy handle. https://www.walmart.com/ip/HURRISE-Metal-Hanging-Pan-Pot-Rack-Wall-Mounted-with-10-Hook-Holder-Kitchen-Storage-Organizer/794567164?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227268578329&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=319425441725&wl4=pla-592888591144&wl5=1014424&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=794567164&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_bfeg9yJ4gIVCr7ACh17hAnWEAQYAiABEgL27fD_BwE

Do you have IKEA nearby? Or just check on Pinterest, search for "IKEA hacks." IKEA is known for utilizing space to the last square inch. You may get usable ideas just from pictures.

• Like 1

Take everything out and bring in only what you use. Set up a storage area somewhere else for the things used only occasionally. That's what we do in our house.

Beyond that, store either at first point of use or last. So I have my knives, salad bowls, and cutting boards all in the same location, same counter. I keep the storage dishes by the refrigerator to load things. And so on. 

You probably actually use less things day to do than you would expect. When we built our kitchen, I put in almost no upper cabinets and dedicated one large drawer to toys. I keep all less frequent items (crockpots, large stock pots, everything) in the pantry or in the basement storage area. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

I have previously used a rack above the stove to hang all pans that had a sturdy handle. https://www.walmart.com/ip/HURRISE-Metal-Hanging-Pan-Pot-Rack-Wall-Mounted-with-10-Hook-Holder-Kitchen-Storage-Organizer/794567164?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227268578329&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=319425441725&wl4=pla-592888591144&wl5=1014424&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=794567164&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_bfeg9yJ4gIVCr7ACh17hAnWEAQYAiABEgL27fD_BwE

Do you have IKEA nearby? Or just check on Pinterest, search for "IKEA hacks." IKEA is known for utilizing space to the last square inch. You may get usable ideas just from pictures.

I like that rack!  And yes, we do have an IKEA.  Great idea!

9 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Take everything out and bring in only what you use. Set up a storage area somewhere else for the things used only occasionally. That's what we do in our house.

Beyond that, store either at first point of use or last. So I have my knives, salad bowls, and cutting boards all in the same location, same counter. I keep the storage dishes by the refrigerator to load things. And so on. 

You probably actually use less things day to do than you would expect. When we built our kitchen, I put in almost no upper cabinets and dedicated one large drawer to toys. I keep all less frequent items (crockpots, large stock pots, everything) in the pantry or in the basement storage area. 

You know, that's true.  I could probably put things like our slow cooker, roaster pan, cake pans (I don't make cakes often at all) in a totally different area.  Didn't think of that.

• Like 1

My guilty please in the kitchen is a very small TV.  That's when I catch up on the news as I'm cooking dinner and watch PBS documentaries while I'm cleaning up.  Does anyone have a little kitchen TV that you'd recommend?  

45 minutes ago, J-rap said:

My guilty please in the kitchen is a very small TV.  That's when I catch up on the news as I'm cooking dinner and watch PBS documentaries while I'm cleaning up.  Does anyone have a little kitchen TV that you'd recommend?  

I don’t know of one specifically, but I would search for one that mounts under the upper cabinets and has a swivel arm thingie. 

• Like 1

Purge, purge, purge!

Small appliances that I don’t use nearly everyday live on a completely separate floor, in my pantry. Yup, pantry is upstairs from the kitchen! That’s where the available space is.  Special occasion things like my giant roaster and giant stock pot live in the shed, because that’s where *that available space is.

I don’t have special racks for vertical storage, but I have enough platters, cooking sheets, muffin tins, cooking racks, etc. that they stand upright just fine and slide in and out fairly easily.  As much as I hate things on the counter, a utensil crock has opened up a good amount of drawer space.

• Like 1

1.  Essential pans from All Clad come in two sizes and are amazingly versatile.  They can be fry pans, sauté pans, or stew pots.  If I had bought those sooner, I would have a lot fewer pots and pans.  If I were starting from scratch right now with limited space, I would buy both sizes of those,  a 2 quart pot that is also the base of a double boiler, and an 8 or 12 quart multi pot, and that would be all.  Well, maybe a small one egg frying pan, too.

2.  Seasonal stuff goes in the basement or very high cabinets.  For me that is the cookie cutters that I only use once a year for instance.

3.  Food processor and mixer are stored at use height.

4. No single use stuff except an ice cream maker and a waffle iron.

5.  A folding secure three step step stool can be stashed between the fridge and the wall and makes those high cabinets much more functionally useful.

• Like 1

As I can afford to, I’m getting identical nestable items like cookie sheets, muffin pans, to replace individuals that won’t nest.  And try the find multi use items , such as getting rid of square baking pans and using round pots for brownies etc as well as for cooking.

I’ve also returned to Corelle dishes as I replace dishes for space savings.

I use command hooks to hang things (though beware, sometimes they fall maybe due to kitchen conditions).  If you use the diy inside door hanging / storage, make sure your doors and hardware are strong enough.

it’s not very pretty, but I use a “poor person” approach to baskets and bins: Cardboard boxes to group like items  Also I have grouped items together such as a baking bin with flour, cookie cutters, sprinkles, etc. up on a high shelf, since we don’t do much cookie type baking. Actually, it has a more attractive bin which I may change to regular cardboard to free the more attractive one for a more visible spot... or not.  Generally high up has light weight (in case of earthquakes) and less used items... down very low heavy less used, and most used at most accessible height

I’m in midst of a Konmari of kitchen now

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J-rap said:

I definitely want to cut back on my pots and pans...  I have way more than I need right now.  (I like to keep the ones I use almost every day on my stovetop, as you do.)  The trickier part will be knowing what to keep of things that I rarely use, but do use from time to time:  cake tins, muffin tins, waffle maker...  I guess those things would go in the harder-to-reach cupboards.  I don't like to keep too many things on the counter because that would give me more work space, but it's hard to visualize how much I can put in the cupboards.

I think this is going to be your challenge.  In a smaller kitchen, you really don't have space to store things that you use occasionally. There are a couple of things I chose to do differently. There are many things I let go of. 

I bought silicon muffin liners. They can be placed onto a cookie sheet. They stack into a jar the size of a soda can.  This made storing my remaining cookie sheets much easier.

I got rid of all of my specialty bake pans: angel food cake, bundt cake, springform, etc. If I want to make an angel food cake or a bundt cake, I make it in loaf form. I kept my loaf pans, because they stack neatly in a shelf.  I thought that I would really miss these, but after 18 months, I haven't. I just choose to make something else, and there are so many options!

I got rid of nearly all of my single use/specialty appliances: waffle maker, pancake griddle, yogurt maker, bread maker, popcorn maker, ice cream maker, all of it.... I kept both instant pots (they are used several times a week), my toaster, and my kitchen aid mixer. When my mixer goes, I will use my danish dough whip or my hand mixer.

I lived in temporary housing during a relo---I took my kitchen with me: one pasta pot (used as a stock pot also--but with strainer), two cutting boards, 2 cookie sheets, 1 9x13 pan, 2 instant pots, 3 kitchen knives (butcher, bread, paring), 2 large glass mixing bowls (good for mixing or making a salad, iykwim), a spatula (baking), three wooden spoons, and another spatula (pancake turner style). I was surprised that that was all that I needed and used.  I could make that list smaller if I needed to, after that experience, but you really can get by with so much less!

• Like 3

These are the muffin liners I used to replace my tins: https://www.amazon.com/Pantry-Elements-Silicone-Cupcake-24-Pack/dp/B0172HPMEC/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=365CQ2IGZC98O&keywords=silicone+muffin+liners&qid=1557249747&s=gateway&sprefix=silicone+muffin%2Caps%2C201&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

I have four kids still at home, so I'm very much in the feeding an army phase of life.... I ended up buying 4 dozen, just so that I can bake 48 muffins in <1hr. I place them on cookie sheets.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

These are the muffin liners I used to replace my tins: https://www.amazon.com/Pantry-Elements-Silicone-Cupcake-24-Pack/dp/B0172HPMEC/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=365CQ2IGZC98O&keywords=silicone+muffin+liners&qid=1557249747&s=gateway&sprefix=silicone+muffin%2Caps%2C201&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

I have four kids still at home, so I'm very much in the feeding an army phase of life.... I ended up buying 4 dozen, just so that I can bake 48 muffins in <1hr. I place them on cookie sheets.

I didn’t know those existed!  Can they be used to freeze ices and smoothly release them?  How about for homemade jellos?  

I keep spices right by stove— possibly not ideal due to heat, but wonderful for use.

“cookie” sheets live in oven most of time.  I rarely use them for cookies, but cook a whole tray of burgers, pizza, etc in them very frequently 

I replaced a bunch of pots, pans, bakeware with this one set:

Magma Products, A10-360L-IND, 10 Piece Gourmet Nesting Stainless Steel Cookware Set, Induction Cooktops https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B99RJS2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_a3C0Cb679XZY1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pen said:

I didn’t know those existed!  Can they be used to freeze ices and smoothly release them?  How about for homemade jellos?  

I haven't had anything fall apart from the molds. If you are super finicky about something maintaining its exact mold shape, I would go with the silicon molds from IKEA. There are occasionally tiny bits of batter stuck in the sides of the molds which make for a less than pristine release (ie not every fold in the mold is in the shaped baked good). But, jello and homemade ices generally releases better from silicone molds--that's why they sell the molds in lego, fish, and other fun shapes!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J-rap said:

We don’t have a tv at all.  We Use portable computers/cellphone/tablet/radio for similar purposes, audiobooks,  etc while in kitchen (or wherever).  Could something else u already have do it?  There are a lot of gooseneck and other holders  for electronic screen devices.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2019 at 11:34 AM, Carrie12345 said:

Purge, purge, purge!

Small appliances that I don’t use nearly everyday live on a completely separate floor, in my pantry. Yup, pantry is upstairs from the kitchen! That’s where the available space is.  Special occasion things like my giant roaster and giant stock pot live in the shed, because that’s where *that available space is.

I don’t have special racks for vertical storage, but I have enough platters, cooking sheets, muffin tins, cooking racks, etc. that they stand upright just fine and slide in and out fairly easily.  As much as I hate things on the counter, a utensil crock has opened up a good amount of drawer space.

I don't know why I've never thought of that before...  but you're right, probably half of what I keep in my kitchen I only use once or twice/year.  So I could easily store that stuff somewhere else.

On 5/7/2019 at 12:07 PM, Carol in Cal. said:

1.  Essential pans from All Clad come in two sizes and are amazingly versatile.  They can be fry pans, sauté pans, or stew pots.  If I had bought those sooner, I would have a lot fewer pots and pans.  If I were starting from scratch right now with limited space, I would buy both sizes of those,  a 2 quart pot that is also the base of a double boiler, and an 8 or 12 quart multi pot, and that would be all.  Well, maybe a small one egg frying pan, too.

2.  Seasonal stuff goes in the basement or very high cabinets.  For me that is the cookie cutters that I only use once a year for instance.

3.  Food processor and mixer are stored at use height.

4. No single use stuff except an ice cream maker and a waffle iron.

5.  A folding secure three step step stool can be stashed between the fridge and the wall and makes those high cabinets much more functionally useful.

Yes on the three-step ladder -- I've always had one of those handy in my kitchen.  I like the ones with a padded seat on top so I can use it as a chair too.  (although we need to replace ours...)

I have a pan question.  I'd really like to minimize what I have.  Do you use nonstick at all?  Nonstick seems to work so well for some things, but don't last, and I never quite trust them for health concerns.  But, I do like them otherwise...

On 5/7/2019 at 5:15 PM, Pen said:

We don’t have a tv at all.  We Use portable computers/cellphone/tablet/radio for similar purposes, audiobooks,  etc while in kitchen (or wherever).  Could something else u already have do it?  There are a lot of gooseneck and other holders  for electronic screen devices.

Possibly, but I really do enjoy watching the evening news...  Our kitchen TV is the only TV we currently have (I'm the only one who watches it!), but I know I'll need a smaller one.  But you're right -- an iPad or other device would work for most things.

2 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

@J-rap I’ve never seen a padded one, do you have a link?

I can't seem to find it new anywhere!  They must not make it anymore, which means I'll have to come up with something else...  But, this is similar to the one I have, which is now part of a vintage auction:  (It's the step stool chair.)

https://bid.auctionbymayo.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/13551/lot/1787710/Vintage-Padded-Fabric-Rolling-Stools-Step-Stool-Chair-Metal-Stool-and-Small-Cosco-Footstool

ETA:  I just found this one, which might be a good alternative:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/cosco-reg-white-chair-step-stool/1016915491?skuId=16915491&&enginename=google&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_outdoorutility_online&product_id=16915491&adtype=pla&product_channel=online&adpos=1o2&creative=223601885693&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&mrkgadid=558409859&mrkgcl=609&rkg_id=0&gclid=Cj0KCQjwn8_mBRCLARIsAKxi0GI2QcFvxoea2FBo1UxNJ_GdoY1kNkuUcxSHt5FG6xBbX45zptqdcwAaApcbEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by J-rap

Thanks for all these great suggestions.
If you are really tight for space, you can store things in the Oven.

Also Full-time RVers learn to live with small storage, & actually seem happier because of it.

This is a great project!  Best wishes

• Like 1

Is your kitchen completely closed off, or is it open to a room in which you could mount a large tv?

I, ahem, who never owned more than 1 tv her entire life, purchased a 65" tv and had it wall mounted because chopping veggies is so incredibly boring.   I tallied that I average 3h a day in the kitchen prepping food---it's my only open time to watch tv. I also adore PBS. They have art frame tvs  if you don't like the black screen look when the tv is off and have some flexibility in your budget. https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/the-frame/highlights/  I just went with a $600 Black Friday special until I can upgrade at some point when the price point of art frames comes down.

• Like 1

I think big kitchens are prettier, but small kitchens are better.  I treat my kitchen like a workshop, not a decorative feature.  I want to produce meals efficiently as possible.  I'm not holding court in there or hosting cooking classes.  I like having my tools within easy reach.  I like being able to work at a table with a chair and not have stools be the only seating in the work area.  I'm also too short to comfortably work with dough on a counter, so my table is a work space.  If i'm entertaining more than a few people they're sitting in the  living room or dining room and I'm not waiting until they arrive to prep food.  My point is, you can be a streamlined MACHINE in a small kitchen.  Think of it like you would a woodworking shop and just decorate with all of your wonderful tools.  Line the walls with them!  Julia did! https://lithub.com/how-to-arrange-your-kitchen-according-to-julia-child/ 

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:21 AM, J-rap said:

Yes on the three-step ladder -- I've always had one of those handy in my kitchen.  I like the ones with a padded seat on top so I can use it as a chair too.  (although we need to replace ours...)

I have a pan question.  I'd really like to minimize what I have.  Do you use nonstick at all?  Nonstick seems to work so well for some things, but don't last, and I never quite trust them for health concerns.  But, I do like them otherwise...

I don't personally use nonstick on a burner,  only for baking desserts; but my husband likes it for cooking eggs.  So in that list of just 4-5 pans up above, he would probably pick a nonstick version of the tiny fry pan for eggs.  However, I have found generally that my All Clad is SO smooth surfaced and so even and heavy in thickness that it's much closer to being nonstick without the coating than any other brand I have tried.  I think this is because where things stick are often to local hot spots or to tiny areas of surface roughness, and the All Clad doesn't have much of either one.  You DO have to cut back on heat using them, and you CAN make things stick if you heat them way up for a long time, but if you pour very hot/boiling water into the pans after even that kind of hard use they clean up pretty easily. 

Wait, I guess I do have one more nonstick thing I use sometimes, and that is an electric griddle for pancakes or tortillas.  It's infrequently used but very helpful in that instance.

I have a chemical engineering background and I don't trust it either.  The dessert usage is a compromise because for a while I couldn't seem to find good bakeware without a coating.  However, I have been gradually migrating to using Pampered Chef stoneware more and more, and I absolutely love their pie pans for my signature meringue crusts.  Have not tried the bar cookie pan yet, but if I switch over to that then the majority of my baking will be non-nonstick.

• Like 1

Although they are non-stick, I recently bought a set of Caphalon Select pans from target. https://www.target.com/p/calphalon-select-9pc-space-saving-hard-anodized-nonstick-cookware-set/-/A-53593635

I love how they are designed to stack together, and they only come in 2 diameters, so the lids are interchangeable. I can fit them all in one cabinet.

• Like 1

I went from a large kitchen to a small one, and it was a good opportunity to think through what I really needed. We are actually enjoying the smaller kitchen because in many ways it's more efficient. I store things I don't use as much in the linen closet because towels and sheets are stored in the bedrooms where they are used.

I thought of another space saver.  You can get a double oven as a freestanding range.  My kitchen wasn't designed for double wall ovens, but  having two ovens is handier than I ever imagined.  If I'm not cooking with both ovens, the unused one holds all of my cookie sheets and cast iron.  Also, if you have a flat top range, it serves as extra counter space when you're not cooking.

23 hours ago, Pen said:

Btw: What does “small” kitchen mean to people?

Good question. Small to me is not tiny. My kitchen in my apartment when I lived in Europe was tiny. It was narrower than my arm spread. At the back of it, there was a wide window that tilted out. There was a petite sink with a cabinet underneath and a space for a drying rack to the left and enough of a corner to the right that I could lay out a chopping board or mixing bowl. If I pivoted to my right there was an oven, a mini fridge (with a double cabinet above), and a small upright cabinet pantry. I had to move to the side to retrieve things from the oven and if I laid on the floor, I was just shorter than the length of the kitchen.

That is tiny. Like, RV sized tiny.

Small = 2-3 upper cabinets, 2-3 lower cabinets. Everything is in arm’s reach but you have at least 24” of workable counterspace somewhere (or the dining table is immediate) and most, if not all of your appliances are full sized. You most likely have no appliance storage except on the countertop and you have to be very selective about what you store.

My kitchen is on the smaller size of average. I have three upper and three lower cabinets.

I once lived in a house with a large kitchen. I had 56 linear feet of countertop space. I had separate zones for baking and for food prep. I had 9 drawers and 15 cabinets—but my pantry was massive. 6’ tall and 8’ long shelves.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2019 at 11:31 AM, J-rap said:

You know, that's true.  I could probably put things like our slow cooker, roaster pan, cake pans (I don't make cakes often at all) in a totally different area.  Didn't think of that.

Yup.  I have a tiny kitchen so I use a buffet and a dresser in the dining room to store all my canned/boxed food (no pantry) and I use storage cabinets in the basement for my seldom used (but needed) cookware:  pie pans, cupcake tins, a couple of serving bowls, etc.  And for some things that I just about never use, but I’m not yet ready to let go, they live in our rather large shed in the backyard on shelves.  

The buffet also stores the instapot and bread machine, which we do still use.  The toaster oven lives on top of the fridge.  Pots and pans hang from a rack on the wall.  Spices are on a wire rack also on the wall and hung over the back of the door that leads to the basement.  

Also, I didn’t want to spend money on drawer dividers or baskets in cupboards, so I use old shoe boxes as baskets and I cut strips of cardboard into drawer dividers.  I did that to see if I really liked dealing with baskets and dividers and I do, so I will probably upgrade to something nicer now. 

• Like 1

I have a very open kitchen and living area so I stored all my kitchen gadgets in a Pottery Barn armoire that I put some wire shelves in.  You would not believe all the things that fit in that thing and it's so organized.  Extra baking pans, serving bowls, food processor, griddle, cake stands, mason jars, platters, crockpots, panini press and more. I love that thing!

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 5:27 PM, KungFuPanda said:

I think big kitchens are prettier, but small kitchens are better.  I treat my kitchen like a workshop, not a decorative feature.  I want to produce meals efficiently as possible.  I'm not holding court in there or hosting cooking classes.  I like having my tools within easy reach.  I like being able to work at a table with a chair and not have stools be the only seating in the work area.  I'm also too short to comfortably work with dough on a counter, so my table is a work space.  If i'm entertaining more than a few people they're sitting in the  living room or dining room and I'm not waiting until they arrive to prep food.  My point is, you can be a streamlined MACHINE in a small kitchen.  Think of it like you would a woodworking shop and just decorate with all of your wonderful tools.  Line the walls with them!  Julia did! https://lithub.com/how-to-arrange-your-kitchen-according-to-julia-child/ 

I loved this.  I do enjoy entertaining so this was encouraging.  🙂 

On 5/10/2019 at 5:59 PM, Carol in Cal. said:

I don't personally use nonstick on a burner,  only for baking desserts; but my husband likes it for cooking eggs.  So in that list of just 4-5 pans up above, he would probably pick a nonstick version of the tiny fry pan for eggs.  However, I have found generally that my All Clad is SO smooth surfaced and so even and heavy in thickness that it's much closer to being nonstick without the coating than any other brand I have tried.  I think this is because where things stick are often to local hot spots or to tiny areas of surface roughness, and the All Clad doesn't have much of either one.  You DO have to cut back on heat using them, and you CAN make things stick if you heat them way up for a long time, but if you pour very hot/boiling water into the pans after even that kind of hard use they clean up pretty easily. 

Wait, I guess I do have one more nonstick thing I use sometimes, and that is an electric griddle for pancakes or tortillas.  It's infrequently used but very helpful in that instance.

I have a chemical engineering background and I don't trust it either.  The dessert usage is a compromise because for a while I couldn't seem to find good bakeware without a coating.  However, I have been gradually migrating to using Pampered Chef stoneware more and more, and I absolutely love their pie pans for my signature meringue crusts.  Have not tried the bar cookie pan yet, but if I switch over to that then the majority of my baking will be non-nonstick.

Thanks...  I'll seriously consider the All Clad!

On 5/10/2019 at 9:11 PM, City Mouse said:

Although they are non-stick, I recently bought a set of Caphalon Select pans from target. https://www.target.com/p/calphalon-select-9pc-space-saving-hard-anodized-nonstick-cookware-set/-/A-53593635

I love how they are designed to stack together, and they only come in 2 diameters, so the lids are interchangeable. I can fit them all in one cabinet.

I really like the interchangeable lids on these!

On 5/11/2019 at 10:37 AM, Pen said:

Btw: What does “small” kitchen mean to people?

For me, it's a "galley" kitchen, so although there are two counters on both sides and all of the main appliances, it's quite limited on space.  No pantry, no island, only enough room for two people to pass each other.  Cupboard space is limited.

ETA:  I did have a "tiny" kitchen once -- so smaller than small.  🙂 It was our first kitchen when we lived in a studio apartment in Washington, D.C.  Like a tiny kitchen area of a train car.  Just 1/2 counter with sink and oven and stove and fridge and cupboard all on one side.  Nothing on the other side.  Standing room for one person only.  

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1