Menu

Cooking a brisket in the oven Recipe please

amyx4

In my frig is a brisket wrapped in butcher paper. It's about 12-18 inches wide, probably 2" thick.  I would like to cook it in the oven.  (no smoker, no grill).  I have spices, oils, etc and a meat thermometer.

Can someone please speak to me slowly...in small words...what on earth do I do with this large, intimidating piece of meat?

Edited by amyx4

My aunt has perfected this. Basically you want to use Liquid Smoke, salt & pepper, and cook it very low & slow in the oven overnight, fat side up. Lemme get up and grab where I have written down the instructions and I'll come and post it. BRB. 

Give it time to completely thaw if frozen.  Make a rub of onion salt, garlic salt and celery salt.  Use some liquid smoke and/or worchestershire sauce.   Put it in a big casserole, I just buy those huge disposable ones from Walmart, and then put your stuff on it and seal it very tightly with aluminum foil.  Let it set overnight or up to 24 hours.  Then put it in an oven at 250 and cook it for about an hour for every pound.  Let it rest before slicing.

Well, shoot, I can't find where I wrote it down, but MaBelle's instructions are close. We just do the Liquid Smoke, salt & pepper; yes, wrap in foil, tightly, and 250 for about an hour per pound is about correct. Overnight-ish.  Put it in fat-side up. 

We've never actually bothered with letting it sit in the seasonings for 24 hrs first, though I imagine that would be even more flavorful. The key really is in the "low and slow".  Enjoy!

I looked up brisket to translate into AU.

Is it rolled? I have only seen/used rolled briskets but that might be an Australian thing.

I would treat like any other roast. chuck onto a roasting pan. cook for 30 minutes or a little longer slowly.  turn meat over then add around it potatoes and sweet potato. Sprinkle with some Italian Herb Mix, sprinkle with a dash of oil over vegetables.

chuck back into oven. cook for another hour add some peeled whole onions.

cook until it is ready. you can tell this by using a meat thermometer or jabbing with a fork and watching what colour juice runs out

make some brown gravy form the pan juices

serve with some green vegetables

you could cut the brisket up and make an awesome stew or a family size meat pie  

Edited by Melissa in Australia

12 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I looked up brisket to translate into AU.

Is it rolled? I have only seen/used rolled briskets but that might be an Australian thing.

I would treat like any other roast. chuck onto a roasting pan. cook for 30 minutes or a little longer slowly.  turn meat over then add around it potatoes and sweet potato. Sprinkle with some Italian Herb Mix, sprinkle with a dash of oil over vegetables.

chuck back into oven. cook for another hour add some peeled whole onions.

cook until it is ready. you can tell this by using a meat thermometer or jabbing with a fork and watching what colour juice runs out

make some brown gravy form the pan juices

serve with some green vegetables

you could cut the brisket up and make an awesome stew or a family size meat pie  

Hmm, not really the same thing, no. There is a "brisket" you can get that's more roast-ish, but the kind the OP is talking about is a HUGE slab of meat, and not at all what you'd make roast out of. You normally bake or smoke it and then slice for BBQ sandwiches. It has to cook a LONG time to get good and tender, fall apart in your mouth tender. 

Here's a good, informative link that shows what all is considered "brisket" -- around here, when one says brisket, they mean the whole thing. Other cuts of meat may be from the brisket as well, which is likely what you found when you translated, and those smaller bits could be good as a roast. But this is what the OP is talking about....

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/smoked-brisket-texas-style

ETA: this link is about smoking in a BBQ pit/smoker/grill, but explains pretty well with photos what the cut of meat is, how it's supposed to look, etc. Not good for oven cooking, but informative and interesting 🙂

Edited by TheReader
  • Like 1

My husband's family likes this one minus the beer:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/57264/simply-the-easiest-beef-brisket/

It's a little too rich for me though. When I used to make it, I'd have a single slice and fill up on the sides.

This one is more my style:

https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/passover-brisket-i-think/

I even like grocery store corned beef brisket with the spice packet. Sometimes it's significantly cheaper than regular brisket.