Menu

Jousting Armadillos

I would also think you'd definitely need to finish 5th grade math before JA. Also, JA requires a good bit of writing. I don't know your kid's age or writing skill level, but I think the amount of writing would be a greater stretch for an elementary student.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I would also think you'd definitely need to finish 5th grade math before JA. Also, JA requires a good bit of writing. I don't know your kid's age or writing skill level, but I think the amount of writing would be a greater stretch for an elementary student.

Maybe that’s what it was. I remember it felt less like math. Mine went to AoPS instead and loved it. Something just didn’t fit with JA as much as I wanted to love it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Maybe that’s what it was. I remember it felt less like math. Mine went to AoPS instead and loved it. Something just didn’t fit with JA as much as I wanted to love it.

For my kid, parts of JA worked great. But (unbeknownst to me at the time!) he has some language processing issues that made writing about the process of math hard. Even without those though, I think it’s a lot of writing for a math program. Probably perfect for some kids, but it’s the aspect I think people need to know about it most.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Farrar said:

For my kid, parts of JA worked great. But (unbeknownst to me at the time!) he has some language processing issues that made writing about the process of math hard. Even without those though, I think it’s a lot of writing for a math program. Probably perfect for some kids, but it’s the aspect I think people need to know about it most.

I also felt it that covered significantly fewer topics (at least compared to AoPS) and it didn’t have much practice, so if you have a completely math intuitive kid who doesn’t need much practice, JA is too easy, and if a kid isn’t super strong in math, JA doesn’t have enough practice. It just seemed to me that I couldn’t quite “place” the program. Having said that, it is wonderfully written and would work wonders alongside some more traditional book.

• Like 2