Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

mmasc

Sleeping next to snorer questions: help!

Recommended Posts

Background: I’m a *very* light sleeper. Even in my own home, but especially if traveling and staying elsewhere. 

My dilemma: I’m taking a vacation and sharing a room with a LOUD snorer. And truly, I mean ***super*** loud. What can I do???!!!

I bought ear plugs (have no idea if they will actually block the loud sound though). If I lie  awake all night just listening to snoring, I will be so tired and grumpy on my trip. 😞

please give me any tips or suggestions you have!

(Another thought—-I don’t take them, but would a sleeping pill (like ambien) actually enable me to sleep through someone’s loud snoring???)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, maize said:

What about noise cancelling headphones of some kind?

I thought of those but I don’t know much about them. Do they only cancel noise if you’re listening to something, like music? Or does just simply placing them over your ears cancel noise?

also, do you have some specific ones you recommend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

White noise plus ear plugs or noise-cancelling headphones are your best options. I like fan noise, real or recorded. Being very physically tired at the end of the day also helps. 

Can you book a suite with two bedrooms, or an enclosed bedroom and a pull-out couch in the living room?

I have my own room now because I got tired of sleeping on the sofa. 🙂 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, MercyA said:

White noise plus ear plugs or noise-cancelling headphones are your best options. I like fan noise, real or recorded. Being very physically tired at the end of the day also helps. 

Can you book a suite with two bedrooms, or an enclosed bedroom and a pull-out couch in the living room?

I have my own room now because I got tired of sleeping on the sofa. 🙂 

Well, I bought ear plugs and I had planned on bringing my white noise machine, but maybe I should bring a fan instead. 🤔 or both 😂 

unfortunately the room has been booked already, so I will need to make do this time. 

Thank you for the suggestions!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will you be sleeping in the same room?  If you could have a suite with a bedroom and sitting area, you could sleep in the sitting area?

Otherwise I'd probably say ear plugs and something like Tylenol PM or Ibuprofen PM.   I was paranoid of OTC sleep medication my whole life until last year, and when I was going through a difficult time and couldn't sleep I took Tylenol PM and couldn't believe how well I slept!  I wondered why I'd never taken it earlier during difficult times of sleeping.  It was just the thing!  I could've slept through anything.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, J-rap said:

Will you be sleeping in the same room?  If you could have a suite with a bedroom and sitting area, you could sleep in the sitting area?

Otherwise I'd probably say ear plugs and something like Tylenol PM or Ibuprofen PM.   I was paranoid of OTC sleep medication my whole life until last year, and when I was going through a difficult time and couldn't sleep I took Tylenol PM and couldn't believe how well I slept!  I wondered why I'd never taken it earlier during difficult times of sleeping.  It was just the thing!  I could've slept through anything.

Yes, same room. Sigh. I’m not opposed to taking drugs if they’d actually make me sleep through this! After reading the link from @maize I think I’m dealing with a ‘loud snorer’ which means my ear plugs probably won’t help much, according to this person’s studies. I mean, in comparison,  that guy on the link above sound practically quiet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go outside and sleep on the floor. That's the only solution I've ever found.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use ear plugs, take an over the counter sleeping pill, and go to sleep first, before the snorer. Rarely does snoring wake me up, but it will keep me from falling asleep. If I got to sleep first we are fine. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sleeping aids will definitely help, but you don't need to bring out the big guns like Ambien, just something OTC. Try something out before you go to figure out what works (you want it to help you sleep but not give you a 'hangover')/ 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Benadryl works pretty well as a sleep aid for me. It is very safe for occasional use.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took a cruise with my mother, and she snores on and off, not the constant sawing logs gig like some people. Even that was disturbing. It was a great cruise, but I'd pretty much be in danger of ruining a trip if it were worse. They could take a different room, go see a doctor and get started on a CPAP, something. Do they have energy issues? When my dh snores, his energy is low the next day. I flop his face around to get it to stop. A supportive pillow also seems to help. 

I've started using the Powerbreathe, and there's some data showing it helping with sleep apnea. 

Beyond that, I'm not a nice person. I'd tell 'em to get another room.

Adding: Fwiw, I'm a pretty solid sleeper, so I don't usually wake up for snoring. But if the person is already snoring before I go to bed, that is a problem. So timing can help sure. Earplugs won't be enough, and personally I wouldn't take a med. Some of those like Ambien have pretty significant side effects on some people. Can you take a house or condo instead of a hotel so you can have separate, removed bedrooms? Sometimes condos, like in FL, are no more expensive than hotels. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not all ear plugs are the same. I find SparkPlugs to be the most effective and comfortable. Make sure to roll them up tight so that they expand to properly fill the ear canal.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Not all ear plugs are the same. I find SparkPlugs to be the most effective and comfortable. Make sure to roll them up tight so that they expand to properly fill the ear canal.

Thanks! I’ll look into these...I picked up whatever I saw at the store, but they were cheap so probably not as effective/comfortable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Use ear plugs, take an over the counter sleeping pill, and go to sleep first, before the snorer. Rarely does snoring wake me up, but it will keep me from falling asleep. If I got to sleep first we are fine. 

Good tip! I hadn’t thought of trying to fall asleep first. I’ll try to beat everyone to it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Farrar said:

Go outside and sleep on the floor. That's the only solution I've ever found.

Sadly, I had thought of the possibility of sleeping in the tub so I could close the door. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, scoutingmom said:

Not sure who the snorer is... but they should get checked for sleep apnea...

 

8 hours ago, PeterPan said:

I took a cruise with my mother, and she snores on and off, not the constant sawing logs gig like some people. Even that was disturbing. It was a great cruise, but I'd pretty much be in danger of ruining a trip if it were worse. They could take a different room, go see a doctor and get started on a CPAP, something. Do they have energy issues? When my dh snores, his energy is low the next day. I flop his face around to get it to stop. A supportive pillow also seems to help. 

I've started using the Powerbreathe, and there's some data showing it helping with sleep apnea. 

Beyond that, I'm not a nice person. I'd tell 'em to get another room.

Adding: Fwiw, I'm a pretty solid sleeper, so I don't usually wake up for snoring. But if the person is already snoring before I go to bed, that is a problem. So timing can help sure. Earplugs won't be enough, and personally I wouldn't take a med. Some of those like Ambien have pretty significant side effects on some people. Can you take a house or condo instead of a hotel so you can have separate, removed bedrooms? Sometimes condos, like in FL, are no more expensive than hotels. 

Yes, this person should, but never will. Even in the hospital, it was mentioned by nursing staff. 

(This isn’t my DH, so not a nightly thing I’m dealing with here)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, mmasc said:

Thanks! I’ll look into these...I picked up whatever I saw at the store, but they were cheap so probably not as effective/comfortable. 

On the earplugs, look at the attenuation number. I use 30db earplugs, and it looks like those Spark Plugs are 35, which might be a little better. They're worth a try, but they aren't enough for me. Apparently I find noise when I'm trying to fall asleep highly disturbing.

56 minutes ago, mmasc said:

Yes, this person should, but never will. Even in the hospital, it was mentioned by nursing staff. 

That's really a shame, because most people have more energy and feel better when they improve their sleep apnea.

Back to the earplugs a minute. Don't laugh, but what actually WILL work is to use noise canceling headphones with a good degree of attenuation ON TOP of the earplugs. Then you'll have pretty significant blocking. Now noise canceling is electronic and you'd turn them on or plug them in your iphone. These are 36dB. https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Reduction-Adjustable-Protection-Defenders/dp/B07MR3FFY1/ref=dp_ob_title_hi  With them over the earplugs, you'll be happy. And if anybody else with you is disturbed, then you have options to share. Would be better than sleeping in the bathroom, that's for sure. Really not a big deal at all to sleep in headphones.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...