Menu

Pyrex no longer thermal shock resistant--did you know this?

cintinative

I have never had Pyrex explode/shatter on me, but over the past five years I have been using glassware almost exclusively for storage. I didn't know they had changed the way they make Pyrex.  FYI.

eta: This article is from last November so maybe this is common knowledge?

https://www.bhg.com/news/pyrex-thermal-shock-resistance/

• Thanks 3

I heard something about it a couple years ago.  Last year I looked up info on it because I was going to be refrigerating some stuff to heat on the day of a big meal and wanted to know if I could go straight to the oven or need to let it set out.

Some of my dishes are the older kind that I got when I got married, but some are newer and I don't know which is which.

• Like 1

Yes, I knew that. I have some Pyrex from my grandmother and wedding gifts 20+ years ago, and it's definitely sturdier. I've broken several newer Pyrex items in the last few years while the old ones just go on and on.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I have had some of our pyrex glassware crack off small pieces along the edges. I am guessing this is why. I thought it was from the dishwasher. 

Same! 

I wonder if there's a better brand out there...?

• Like 1

I remember at one time hearing that the only "real" Pyrex (made with borosilicate glass) you can find in the US is in glassware made for scientific uses (beakers, etc).  For the past couple decades, US Pyrex has been made of sodalime glass.  According to the following video from Consumer Reports, European Pyrex is still made with borosilicate.

• Like 4

Yes, the change happened around 1998 with the bulk of the new product ware being introduced right around 2000.  They went from borosilicate glass to tempered soda lime. They claimed it had a higher mechanical strength and was this great improvement.....but it's been horrid.

My worst shattered Pyrex experience happened in 2003 (before the shattering was well known) in which very pregnant me had two full lasagnas shatter going from fridge to oven. I was due to take a lasagna to a friend who had just delivered her baby.  The lasagna burned all over the inside of my oven and it was just so very, very horrid that my bestie came over to clean up my oven because the fire alarm was going off, I was too pregnant to deal with it, and I had a toddler kid who was crying from the loud alarm. Like, truly, I still wince thinking about it. 

• Sad 4

I have had two pieces shatter /explode recently, one was just sitting in the sink but it had been chipped for a while so maybe somehow it was compromised.   But there was no temperature change.  The other one I set on the counter from the oven and it exploded.  

Older might be better but avoid the vintage painted stuff because it generally has super high lead content

https://tamararubin.com/category/leaded-pyrex/

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, athena1277 said:

Is there a way to tell if a dish is the old or new kind?  

Yes, there are a number of videos and websites out there on how to tell if your dish is borosilicate or tempered soda lime.  There are changes in the typeface of the Pyrex label and you can tell by looking at the glass itself.  Since there have been so many iterations, I'm going to point you towards googling rather than try to summarize that all here. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Does it shatter better now though? I only ever managed to break one of the old ones, but wow, the slivers were impossible to clean all up.

No, IME, it shatters worse.  Borosilicate is stronger, harder, more acid-resistant, and more durable.  Tempered soda lime is more frangible--meaning it breaks up into smaller pieces (shatters) rather than breaking into larger chunks.

Heads up, Instant Pot was recently purchased by Corelle/Corning Ware/Pyrex.....

• Sad 1

Oh, second heads up, borosilicate 9x13 pans are still available for purchase new....  OXO makes a 9x13. There are several other optional available on amazon or at higher end stores.

ETA link: https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Freezer-Oven-Baking/dp/B019FHD0FK/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=borosilicate+9x13&qid=1557175122&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Farrar said:

Does it shatter better now though? I only ever managed to break one of the old ones, but wow, the slivers were impossible to clean all up.

I recently dropped a (new) Pyrex bowl and glass flew into 2 other rooms. My son said it seemed like the bowl exploded when it hit the counter. I'm sure I'll be finding glass for ages.

• Sad 1

On 5/6/2019 at 12:32 PM, athena1277 said:

Is there a way to tell if a dish is the old or new kind?  

https://icedteapitcher.myshopify.com/pages/borosilicate-pyrex-vs-soda-lime-pyrex?fbclid=IwAR0MSLAEIpC_Qy9cykSAi6vF8B5hey0or9Frx9zhdynb-sNiJkGT6wUd39k

I read this article a couple of years ago. My newer pyrex measuring cup (with lower case letters) has all the numbers worn off and is pretty useless. My older pyrex measuring cup (with upper case letters) is still perfectly legible.

• Thanks 1