Menu

Your old toys/keepsakes and your DC

sea_mommy

Edited to add "keepsakes" as I also have a few non-toy items (old piggy bank, necklaces, etc) that I'm trying to figure out what to do with.

I have packed away some of my old favorites from when I was a kid--mostly stuffed animals and a few other random things.  A few children have mentioned wanting things.  I don't think that it makes sense to just keep them in a box, but how do I decide who gets what?  

Any suggestions?  Advice?  Anyone else distributed their old childhood favorites amongst their children?

Edited by sea_mommy

I did.  I guess I didn't do it all at once, so when it seemed appropriate with a particular child or more, I'd just give it to them.  When my girls started playing Barbies, I gave them my three Barbies.  I didn't say one was for one child, one was for the other, etc.  They were just added to the collection.  I think only one dd was interested in my Alice in Wonderland doll, so she got that.  I had a whole pail of tiny plastic animals and furniture to go with them, and I just added those to the collection that my kids already had.  Only one dd was interested in glass animals, so I'd give her one of those every year for some occasion.  I also had three stuffed animals, and somehow each one seemed appropriate for a specific child, and no one seemed to protest.  

45 minutes ago, J-rap said:

I did.  I guess I didn't do it all at once, so when it seemed appropriate with a particular child or more, I'd just give it to them.  When my girls started playing Barbies, I gave them my three Barbies.  I didn't say one was for one child, one was for the other, etc.  They were just added to the collection.  I think only one dd was interested in my Alice in Wonderland doll, so she got that.  I had a whole pail of tiny plastic animals and furniture to go with them, and I just added those to the collection that my kids already had.  Only one dd was interested in glass animals, so I'd give her one of those every year for some occasion.  I also had three stuffed animals, and somehow each one seemed appropriate for a specific child, and no one seemed to protest.  

This is pretty much how it worked for us.

Some things, like a really good set of old wooden blocks, were shared. Others seemed to suit one child more than another. 

I have 1 boy and 2 girls. With my son, I usually find something from my husband or just say you will get daddy's stuff whenever the time comes.

With the girls, I distribute.  I would take inventory of what I have. The girls do have different interests and some similar ones too. So if I have a butterfly wallet for my butterfly loving daughter, then I would find something else that is of interest for my other daughter.  Like a journal. Then I just give them to them. I had a lot of barbie stuff, so I just put them in a box and say have fun.

I don't hold up a stuff animal and say who wants this? Then they would fight over it.

I just make sure I have something for everyone.

You wait.  It will probably sort itself out without issues.

My sister and I both really wanted a set of books.  She ended up getting them, cherishing them, and then when her children were older, passed them over to me. It worked out well, since by the time they came my direction they were well-loved and needed repairs, which I had spent several years learning how to do. For another item we ended up finding an exact copy and we each have one in our homes.  But things we wanted when we were young ended up not always being what we wanted when we were old, nor were practical in our current lives.

I don't have anything sentimental from my childhood, except for some photos and a book of poems I wrote.

I do have a white bear someone gave me at some point.  I bring it out at Christmas time as a decoration.  One of my kids has decided that is hers.  The other kid doesn't seem to care.  I am not officially giving it to anyone, but I doubt it will be a point of contention when I die.  😛