Menu

What's with the ads?

Are you watching? I’ve enjoyed it so far. 

Something I noticed today, though, was that although 10 years had passed, only a few characters appeared to have aged, and even then their rate of change seems off. 

Not a big thing in the scheme of things, just something I noticed. 

• Like 3

I didn't know it was on!!! It's probably over, sigh. Maybe we can stream it? 

Hold it, now I'm even more confused. Is this a multi-episode thing or a one night special?

Y'all are seriously letting me down. I come here to stay informed, and somehow I had NO CLUE this was on. :biggrin:

Is it age-appropriate for 10 yos or is it a put the kids to bed? 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I didn't know it was on!!! It's probably over, sigh. Maybe we can stream it? 

Hold it, now I'm even more confused. Is this a multi-episode thing or a one night special?

Y'all are seriously letting me down. I come here to stay informed, and somehow I had NO CLUE this was on. :biggrin:

Is it age-appropriate for 10 yos or is it a put the kids to bed? 

No doubt we’ll get it in Australia in a year or two ... so you’ll still be ahead 

• Haha 1

It’s a miniseries adaptation of the novel - no singing! And the story is truer to the book, so more detail of the original story. I am not sure how many weeks in total it will run, I believe tonight was episode 4?

i imagine that PBS will package it and sell the DVD collection, hopefully copies will end up in our library system so I can rewatch it. I’ve been able to catch 98%, but as it airs in a very narrow time frame and has no commercials for bathrooms breaks or dh/dc questions, I’ve missed a bit. Plus who knows, it’s likely I’ll miss an entire episode before it’s all over.  

It’s not for children - it’s a complex and often seedy tale - but then I don’t think the movie musical version is kid-friendly, either. Have them wait until at least the double digits to see it, unless a youth theater company in your area stages the tamer school version of the show. The music is beautiful. 

Edited by Seasider too
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

It’s a miniseries adaptation of the novel - no singing! And the story is truer to the book, so more detail of the original story. I am not sure how many weeks in total it will run, I believe tonight was episode 4?

Interesting! Dd and I watched through a bunch of versions years ago before we went to see it (with really great seats I might add!!). There was a version with Liam Neeson I think that was good, but it wasn't dark or particularly inappropriate. This PBS one, just from the pictures, looks a little more like it captures the raw and rough...

• Like 1

The episodes that have been broadcast are available to watch on the PBS website here in the US.  

Not appropriate for a ten year old.  My college lad and I have been discussing grisettes/mistresses/Mrs degree as well as liberte, egalite, and fraternite.

I'm agreeing the costuming and makeup of the characters is not what it should be; maybe I'll see the point of the inauthenticy later.

Les Miz was streaming on the PBS website, but now Episode 1 requires a paid subscription.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/episodes/les-miserables-e1/

Episode 3 & 4 are unlocked.  Total of 6 Episodes.

(Rabbit Trail = I was completely intrigued by "Mrs. Wilson", the Masterpiece series prior to this.  Ruth Wilson's real Grandma's very fascinating auto-bio.)
It too requires a paid subscription . . . but Ruth Wilson & Iain Glen were fantastic, IMO.)

Based on the time time stamp on your post, I was finishing up the final episode right around the time you were posting this. 🙂  I bought PBS Passport just so I could unlock all of the episodes. After watching one episode I knew I couldn't wait.

I love the musical. I saw it in London in the 80s not long after it premiered there. In fact Colm Wilkinson who played the old priest (Bishop of Dean) in the movie was Jean Valjean when I saw the West End production. Still, as much as I love the musical there's so much that it leaves out. I thought this miniseries was very well done and was pleased at how much of the book they were able to include.( I read and enjoyed the book more than once.) Fantine's story is one example. It really doesn't make a lot of sense in the musical, but this production includes most of her backstory that's in the book. 

11 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

No doubt we’ll get it in Australia in a year or two ... so you’ll still be ahead 

Well it was actually a BBC miniseries so depending on what's available to you from the BBC you might be able to watch it now.

ETA: There are 6 episodes so if they're already up to episode 4 you only have 2 weeks left. I started watching when there were only 2 episodes and didn't want to wait. If I was just starting to watch it now with it being almost over, I'd wait for the last two episodes. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

PBS Passport is available with a $60 or more annual donation from my local station.

It is available on the BBC for where I am located, but registration is needed.

Edited by HeighHo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Beth S said:

Les Miz was streaming on the PBS website, but now Episode 1 requires a paid subscription.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/episodes/les-miserables-e1/

Episode 3 & 4 are unlocked.  Total of 6 Episodes.

(Rabbit Trail = I was completely intrigued by "Mrs. Wilson", the Masterpiece series prior to this.  Ruth Wilson's real Grandma's very fascinating auto-bio.)
It too requires a paid subscription . . . but Ruth Wilson & Iain Glen were fantastic, IMO.)

Huh. Then I guess I'm glad I bought Passport. I also enjoyed Mrs. Wilson. It was fascinating - I ended up reading a bunch online about the real story. I too thought it was pretty cool that the actress who played her is the granddaughter of the real Mrs. Wilson. 

Since I have PBS Passport for a year I'm finding a lot I want to watch (Indian Summers seems interesting - I watched one so far). I found some for me to watch when dh is at work, and some I think we'll enjoy watching together. I figured I might as well take advantage of it since I have it now.

• Like 1