Menu

Accountability Thread 5/5- 5/9

May already? How did that happen?  Today's plan--grocery shopping, writing, art show. After that, I have no clue what the rest of the week will look like. I have a bunch of tests out that I need results from before I know what comes next. Certainly teaching me a lesson about how the best-laid plans trip right over life and go sprawling.

• Like 2

Morning. Today's schedule: Find out plans for the week and figure out how to make them work. I plan to write 2K, rework a synopsis to be explicitly character driven, and then character work. I will probably clean a room.

Boys have school. Stormed this morning, but if it clears up, we will probably go to the lake later. I can write while they boat and fish.

• Like 2

HSL: I missed something somewhere... Did you go on vacation? I hope you had a good time, if so. 😊 

We are back from our 3 day weekend road trip so that means we need to get groceries.

Since last week was so busy, I have every room of the house only partially unpacked. This is driving me crazy. Every other time I've moved, I've had the entire house unpacked the next day. So today's goal is to unpack as much as I possibly can. I'd really like to have the kitchen, living room, and the kids rooms 100% done by the end of the day. That would allow us to get back to school work tomorrow. 

I also have a very important thing to do online today, and I'm not sure how long its going to take. 

I'm probably forgetting a million other things and the day will derail spectacularly, but whatever, at least I'm starting off strong with a plan! 😎 

• Like 2

Well, I was right! Yesterday got derailed. I had to mow the grass rarher than unpack the kids rooms because it had been almost 2 weeks since the last mow and we were expected to have a rainy rest of the week. I got the kitchen and living room unpacked so that's a win!

So unpacking the kids rooms got moved to today. Except that unpacking dd's room took all day! That girl and all her super special and important things! 😬 

So we'll see what tomorrow brings. I am doubtful much unpacking will get done. I have to shop for upcoming graduations and weddings. I have to grocery shop. I said I was going to do that on Monday but we had enough to get by until our regular shopping day. We have an evening activity. So yep, tomorrow is hopeless! 

Will we ever get back to school work? 😭

• Like 2

Morning! Doctor visit for me later, but I still hope to get some writing done. Got character work to do for two stories, and possibly three--I really need to stop coming up with so many new things at once, but I don't get to pick and choose how my imagination wants to behave. Stress me out, and I come up with more stories. 

The boys are working on school stuff--we have nearly finished all of our material from the year, and are already getting into the upcoming year. Head start on some stuff. The garden outside is my son's project this year, and he's probably out mulching right now. He's got a significant patch already done for his gourd crop. I planted a very few seeds for tomatoes and peppers, but that's it. Not doing too much this year. 

• Like 1

happysmileylady, hug!  I am so glad you got it out, and sorry that your dentist didn't.  Good grief, that is no fun: I hope your healing goes well from here on out. 

Critterfixer, hoping for the best spin on the test results.  The best-laid plans do often face-plant on Actual Life.  Sometimes it is having a plan that gets me through (even if we end up so far off it that we leave Plan B far behind and end up on Plan Triple-Z), sometimes it is having a sense of my priorities that does it, and sometimes it just trucking along and trying to leave space to detect what the priorities are.  Unfortunately I've never found a sure-fire way to figure out WHICH of these strategies will be best ... 

(do you like the Hitchhiker's Guide series?  I think there's some quote about Trillian having learned that there are occasions when forget your glasses and you really ought to go back and get them, and occasions when you really ought to just leave them behind and keep going, but not knowing how to tell which is which)

We made it to London, which is just a very Good Thing.  DH's work is covering room & airfare, which is why we can do it, and we are getting a grip on dealing with some constraining digestive issues that older DS has so that we can get out and about and do stuff.  Today was a sort of mellow recovery day, with some school & an outing to a cafe and a bookstore.  I want to use our time here to rest & restore the family and get a grip on my school goals for the year, and refine my approach heading into next year. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, serendipitous journey said:

happysmileylady, hug!  I am so glad you got it out, and sorry that your dentist didn't.  Good grief, that is no fun: I hope your healing goes well from here on out. 

Critterfixer, hoping for the best spin on the test results.  The best-laid plans do often face-plant on Actual Life.  Sometimes it is having a plan that gets me through (even if we end up so far off it that we leave Plan B far behind and end up on Plan Triple-Z), sometimes it is having a sense of my priorities that does it, and sometimes it just trucking along and trying to leave space to detect what the priorities are.  Unfortunately I've never found a sure-fire way to figure out WHICH of these strategies will be best ... 

(do you like the Hitchhiker's Guide series?  I think there's some quote about Trillian having learned that there are occasions when forget your glasses and you really ought to go back and get them, and occasions when you really ought to just leave them behind and keep going, but not knowing how to tell which is which)

We made it to London, which is just a very Good Thing.  DH's work is covering room & airfare, which is why we can do it, and we are getting a grip on dealing with some constraining digestive issues that older DS has so that we can get out and about and do stuff.  Today was a sort of mellow recovery day, with some school & an outing to a cafe and a bookstore.  I want to use our time here to rest & restore the family and get a grip on my school goals for the year, and refine my approach heading into next year. 

Yep. Hoping this is something benign and not something more sinister, but it still has to be dealt with. Just slow and frustrating for me. 

Have fun in London! That sounds awesome, and hope you get out exploring soon.

• Like 1

Today: hang out in the AM a bit for the fellow who is supposed to come look at our broken doorknobs (one is in chronic danger of trapping DS younger in his room; we keep a spare pair of his undies 'round the doorjamb to ensure it doesn't close); go in to the center of town & see DH give a talk; try to hit the British Museum on the way back.  I also want to keep up with our SoTW reading plan and ideally troubleshoot some artist/composer study plans -- that could merge nicely with the museum, but no guarantees. 

Happy Thursday to all 🙂 

• Like 2

Finally Friday! Allergy injections for ds, probably a couple more errands while we are out, more unpacking to be done, and various other tasks that piled on late last night and are hard and make me want to cry. Life as care giver is really difficult sometimes. 😖 

• Like 2

Boys are finishing up the week of school and complaining that we haven't had a week off in a while. They are right, we haven't, but I'm trying to save that week for a trip that they may take later this month.  Writing for me, and I need to give some feedback on a short story and wait for some that is coming back to me later this week.

ETA: Or next week, seeing as how it's the end of the week...

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 1

MrsRobinson, a hug and a hope for some peaceful or joyful space in your day. 

Today we did a museum visit, with Various Adventures which we came through gracefully, so hurrah!  It is nearly time for me to make dinner here, and we haven't done any school; it is not totally necessary but I have a short list of stuff I really want to make sure we finish this year, and the boys enjoy their free time more when they have some structured school.  The goal for school: SoTW reading/oral questions and All About Spelling for everybody; math all around; Anki and a bit of Latin.  We'll see.  😉 

Then dinner, clean up, catch up with DH, figure out the weekend.  Ideally get some exercise.

PS: how it actually went: in the event, it seemed more important to me to do something less head-heavy and more topical than my original plan, so we went to a nearby park & I read Andrews Matthews' great little retelling of Shakespeare's "Henry V" and the boys narrated.  There is some chance that we'll be able to see the full play done by a very energetic & talented cast, so I'm trying to get the storyline in the boys' heads.  All I'll ask from them for the rest of the day is Anki. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 2