Menu

Direct Instruction programs for remediating language and reading in autism

Has anyone used SRA's Direct Instruction Programs (i.e. Corrective Reading Comprehension) to remediate your autistic child's language and comprehension skills?

"Teaching Reading Comprehension and Language Skills to Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders and Developmental Disabilities Using Direct Instruction"

This study was encouraging:  http://daddcec.org/Portals/0/CEC/Autism_Disabilities/Research/Publications/Education_Training_Development_Disabilities/ETADD_48(1)_41-48.pdf

Edited by bluebonnetgirl

Yes, my son did Reading Mastery for about a year.  We used an older edition I got from eBay.  I didn’t do it personally, he did it with a tutor.

100 EZ Lessons is adapted from SRA reading also.  

For reading comprehension there is a comprehension program that has good reviews, I am blanking on the name.

Some more info — these programs used to be called Distar, sometimes I think there are still Distar materials available used.  

I will link a website.  

Okay, Corrective Reading is the program that I have heard of being used for comprehension for autism.  I haven’t looked at it lately but it was way too advanced the last time I looked.

The Reading Mastery my son used had decoding and comprehension both.  

I can’t remember if we used the old versions because of cost or if there was concern the new versions might not be as effective.  I don’t know. I don’t know if you can tell what editions were used in the research but it might be worth checking on.  But I don’t really know.  

Edit:  iirc Corrective Reading can be for comprehension OR decoding.  You might look at the research and see if it is mainly about just the comprehension side.  

Edited by Lecka

https://www.amazon.com/Teach-Your-Child-Read-Lessons/dp/0671631985/ref=nodl_

Okay — my understanding is this book is the same method, for decoding (but not comprehension).  

I have had this book and the beginning worked but then it didn’t later.  It didn’t have any mastery checks or extra lessons, and the Reading Mastery I thought was good about having extra lessons and ways to know if it was time to move on or not.  It had a lot of things like — take a pre-test or a Mastery check, and either skip a bunch of lessons, or do a lot of extra lessons.  

I have used Corrective Reading before with my teen, and found it to be quite effective.  I'm probably going to bump him to the next level this year and see if we can get further gains.

I'm also looking at Reasoning and Writing.

Both of these programs seem to be helpful in older kids with learning disabilities.

I'm just curious if anyone is using them or has used them.  They are very teacher friendly and easy to implement. Can often be found used for a substantial discount.

How effective was Reading Mastery for your child with autism?  What age did you use it?

Edited by bluebonnetgirl
  • Like 1

Okay — I glanced at the research, it is about Language for Learning and Corrective Reading Comprehension.  

You can find info on these programs on the Nifdi website.

We were looking for both decoding and comprehension for my son with what we used.  

The Language for Learning books would overlap with his ABA programs for our situation, because he had an ABA program.  So I wasn’t interested for that reason.  My husband’s insurance covers ABA so that is what we do (it’s basically the only thing covered for autism).  

K/1st and I thought it was great.  He made a little progress.  He did learn to blend and he could answer some concrete wh questions, I think.  He had many goals related to wh questions anyway but it was nice they were embedded in the Reading Mastery.

My son’s level was lower (he has improved over the years) and I don’t think you could go off his progress to say how it would go with other kids.  

Edited by Lecka

Right now he is 10/4th grade and at school he is in F and P level G so it’s not like he made amazing progress with Reading Mastery.  But I thought it was good for him.  We were up against people wanting him to do a program that only teaches sight words, and since Reading Mastery that has never been mentioned.  

Ok, I don't know anything about Reading Mastery, it sounds like it is more for learning to read versus reading to learn.

My son is more on the hyperlexic side, so learning to read was/is not his issue.  His issues are languagecomprehension, auditory processing, and expressive language, especially syntax.

I found it interesting that the study I linked http://daddcec.org/Portals/0/CEC/Autism_Disabilities/Research/Publications/Education_Training_Development_Disabilities/ETADD_48(1)_41-48.pdf cited not only gains in reading, but language.

I've used direct instruction myself with him at home, so one on one.

Edited by bluebonnetgirl
  • Like 1