Menu

Compare REWARDS Intermediate & Secondary

Youngest DD has been through REWARDS Intermediate and it was very helpful. I would like to go through it again this summer (she could use practice with multisyllablic words), but was wondering if I should redo Intermediate or try the Secondary version. DD is a rising 6th grader (Secondary is for grades 6+). 

If you've been through both, how do they compare? From the samples I can find, they look quite similar. 

I would do Secondary since it seems to go to a higher level, but I have only seen samples.

You might also consider Marcia Henry's words, the samples are from early on, it has multi-syllable words of Latin and Greek at the end and explains and separates by sound patterns of Language of Origin.

https://www.proedinc.com/Products/14834/words-integrated-decoding-and-spelling-instruction-based-on-word-origin-and-word-structure-second-edition.aspx

I would also work through my syllables overview lesson and then lessons 6 - 10, that will get you a quick multi-syllable overview.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

I believe I have the Secondary.  It's a blue cover.  I think the Intermediate is orange?  Mine is an old edition, but I can try to answer any questions you have.  I haven't used both but can let you know table to contents/lesson info if that helps at all?

Thanks. I think they are quite similar. I'll probably get both student books. She could use the practice...

@Jess4879 - are the lesson components basically the same in both levels? I know how to teach the Intermediate level (how to do the different sections in each lesson) but I'd love to know if the Secondary level has different types of activities  (in which case, I'd need the Teacher's Guide). 

17 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

Thanks. I think they are quite similar. I'll probably get both student books. She could use the practice...

@Jess4879 - are the lesson components basically the same in both levels? I know how to teach the Intermediate level (how to do the different sections in each lesson) but I'd love to know if the Secondary level has different types of activities  (in which case, I'd need the Teacher's Guide). 

In the level I have, the Activities are: A- Oral Blending, B- Vowel Combinations, C - Vowel Conversions, D - Reading word parts, E- Underlining Vowel Sounds, F- Correcting Close Approximations, G- Suffixes/Prefixes, H- Circling Word Parts, I - Vocab, J-Spelling Dictation.  A couple of the lessons change to include a strategy.  After I got the hang of the flow of the program we seldom looked at the Teacher's Guide.  

• Like 2