Menu

What's with the ads?

StellaM

How the news took over reality - article

Wow, that is a great read. Thanks for posting. I've read it twice already and want to go through again and make everyone in my family read it lol 

• Like 1

Thanks for that great article, Stella! It ellucidates a lot of what I was feeling and the motive I had for quitting daily news watching this year. I have, this year, begun to ask myself this question: “Can I do anything about this?” in response to news stories. It helps me retain some distance. 

• Like 4

Thanks! I’d like to have others I know read that too!

• Like 1

"We marinate in the news" Well said. Just spending some time thinking on our own without someone else bombarding us with either so-called news or advice is time well spent.

• Like 4

Thank you for sharing this.  I briefly spotted it over the weekend, but being at camp didn't have time to read it.  I think it's really spot on.  

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing this.  It is profound and well thought out article and I’ve printed it out like a dork, to scribble thoughts and highlight to my hearts content.  

I sincerely hope that we in privileged cultures that have the luxury of “over identifying with the news” can begin to recognize this and assert more involvement and presence in our concrete realities.  Consciously step away from the screens and Re engage with life in more direct and tangible way. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LarlaB said:

Thank you for sharing this.  It is profound and well thought out article and I’ve printed it out like a dork, to scribble thoughts and highlight to my hearts content.  

I sincerely hope that we in privileged cultures that have the luxury of “over identifying with the news” can begin to recognize this and assert more involvement and presence in our concrete realities.  Consciously step away from the screens and Re engage with life in more direct and tangible way. 

And to carry that farther, to accept that it is not some moral failing in ourselves or others to not be 100% on top of every single current event.  It is completely ok to care more about making it to your child's ball game on time than you care about a shooting on the other side of the country or the other side of the world.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LarlaB said:

This!! Re-engagement with our families and local communities is where most of our energy should go.

• Like 3

Thank you for this! It echoes so many things I’ve been thinking and saying lately. And also supports my pre-existing limits on news consumption. I realized several years ago that if I didn’t limit news consumption it wasn’t good for my mental well-being or my life as a whole. But from time to time I start to feel guilty (or am deliberately made to feel guilty by others) because “part of being a good citizen is being well-informed”. I needed that reminder that limiting my news exposure can also be responsible citizenship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

And to carry that farther, to accept that it is not some moral failing in ourselves or others to not be 100% on top of every single current event.  It is completely ok to care more about making it to your child's ball game on time than you care about a shooting on the other side of the country or the other side of the world.  

Amen to that, happysmileylady!

ETA: People cannot exist in a state of everything is a crisis all the time without there being a cost to productivity and health, both mental and physical. It doesn't mean you "don't care." It just means that time, energy, money, compassion, and every other resource is finite for mere mortals. I think we'd be a lot more productive in actually solving problems if the endless barrage of hyperbole and alarm-ringing on the topic du jour would ratchet down. And, no, I'm not just referring to politics either. Anyway, I think the previous posters make a lot of good sense.

Off to ignore the news...

Edited by Valley Girl
  • Like 3

I think real journalism doesn't really exist anymore. Most news sources tend to be 95% talking points (Democratic or Republican). Sometimes  there is both at once and they are yelling the talking points at each other. A tragedy may be reported on, but then they get back to politics or find a way to politicize the tragedy. Politics is ruining everything. It dominates the news, but also finds its way into sports, kids movies, religion, you-name-it. Some people love to marinate in it, but most people are just sick of it.

• Like 1

I don't watch much news, but when I do, it does seem as if it's all politics and celebrities.  

I am pickled in news. 

I don't think it's good for me, and more to the point, I don't think it helps me be a better citizen. 

I think I like news for the mental stimulation, which I don't get much in day to day life, so I need to think about how to replace news with something else.

• Like 1

I feel the same way Stella, but it's easy and habitual mental stimulation. It's more effort to read a book or think deeply about hard questions over my morning coffee...

• Like 1

I got sick when my youngest was a baby. We aren't sure what caused it, but I had paresthesia. I would have phantom pains or muscle twitches, or random numbness, or sight/hearing issues among other things. Stress always made it worse. Like, if I was driving somewhere but we were running late and the baby was crying in her carseat, something would go numb. It was an amazingly accurate barometer of when I was stressed because the symptoms always got worse when my stress levels went up. I noticed something interesting that year. The paresthesia would get worse when I watched the news. I have always been interested in politics and world events, but I stopped watching the news that year.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LarlaB said:

I sure agree with this.  I think, too, that this same idea translates into our over identifying with mass group opinions.  It's so easy to get caught up in all that hype and lose sight of the personal.  Whereas if we worked harder at simply developing personal relationships within our community or circle we find ourselves in, my guess is that we'd actually find ourselves understanding and even finding a connection with the very people we were judging against.  I guess that's a slightly different subject but somehow it feels related.

Thank you for the article.