Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
mlktwins

Selling my dad's house - kind of a funny/vent at the same time

Recommended Posts

So...I started a thread on Sunday about taking care of my elderly dad and not having anything left to give -- LOL.  I need to get back to that thread and respond (we ended up over there all day Tuesday and my boys finished testing today), but a quick update.

Dad's house went live this morning.  There are over 15 showings today and one offer already coming in.  I called to let him know and he says, "OK."  I'm like aren't you excited?  And he says, "What is there to be excited about?"  LOL!  I have been KILLING myself and that is his response?!?!?  LOL!  He then added that he will have more money to spend.  I told him I'm excited to be getting my LIFE BACK -- LOL. 

So...he is an Eeyore type and I am not.  I obviously got my enthusiasm from my mom.  So I am sharing with you!

Anyone who has been through this knows how very excited I am at the moment!!  Praying this part goes smoothly!

  • Like 19
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I am sure it is very hard for him to see his home sold.  But I TOTALLY get what you are saying...you must be so relieved that it is going to sell so easily. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mom is FB friends with the family who bought their house.  Uh.  I wish she would stop. She complains how they don’t enjoy the beautiful yard, don’t care about it,,,,probably letting the flowers be over run with weeds.....I told her um , yeah mom she is Quite  busy with 5 kids under 5. 2 sets of twins.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Well I am sure it is very hard for him to see his home sold.  But I TOTALLY get what you are saying...you must be so relieved that it is going to sell so easily. 

Yes, maybe a llittle. But...mostly he has commented about how relieved he is to not be dealing with the stairs anymore and worrying about all the maintenance.   He loves his new apartment and he has his lots of company at the new place.

He has always been an Eeyore and being with/talking to him most everyday for the past 8 months has made me remember that he is like this.  I am the total opposite LOL.

I took him over last week to see his yard and flowers.  He almost fell down the front steps.  He is happy to be done with that.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am thrilled for you!!!!! That is amazing! Congratulations:biggrin:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh wow, that is great!

My dad is an Eeyore, too, so I can commiserate!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP again :-).  This process is so stressful.  Too very, very good offers that we are deciding on!!!  Should have a decision and be moving forward tonight.  YEAH!!!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The market in my area is super fast moving as well. Congratulations.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is looking at it through his eyes - he has not likely even fully imagined what this entire season of life has looked like from your perspective and experience. 

This is wonderful news. Don’t let him rain in your parade (cue Fanny Brice). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, this is great news.  Yes, such a well-deserved Relief for you . . . but the End of an Era for your Dad.
BTDT, same response.
Save the Realtor's photos as a keepsake memento of all your hard work.
What a great Reward!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone!  I'm helping him sign the contract this morning -- YEAH!!!  Home inspection within 7 days.  That is hopefully our last hurdle.  He kept it up pretty well for a long time and we had contractors come in to fix and freshen things before it listed, but I will feel better when that is done!  Praying that goes will and I think we are home free :-).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a few posts to respond to about all of this and my experience and thoughts on how I will hopefully do things to make it easier for my kids.

I do want to say that this was such a lonely process for me.  Very lonely.  And, while I had some offers of help from friends, I know their lives had things going on and burdens they faced too.  I did not want to impose.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2019 at 6:28 PM, Scarlett said:

My mom is FB friends with the family who bought their house.  Uh.  I wish she would stop. She complains how they don’t enjoy the beautiful yard, don’t care about it,,,,probably letting the flowers be over run with weeds.....I told her um , yeah mom she is Quite  busy with 5 kids under 5. 2 sets of twins.  

 

Funny. I ran into a former neighbor last week who told me that the people who bought our house aren't taking care for the yard.

I went by twice after we moved, but at this point I really don't care. It's their house.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, G5052 said:

 

Funny. I ran into a former neighbor last week who told me that the people who bought our house aren't taking care for the yard.

I went by twice after we moved, but at this point I really don't care. It's their house.

 

My dad's all worried about his azaleas and the new owners.  I told him it wouldn't be his house to worry about and the owner's may make changes.  Really, several of them are so overgrown and too big for where there are and I would be making changes if I bought the house.  But...I did take him over and got pictures in front of his pretty flowers while they were in full bloom a couple of weeks ago :-).  He doesn't drive anymore and there is only one older neighbor there now so I don't see him going over anymore.  I may swing by every so often to look myself :-).

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's great that it sold so quickly!  Congrats!!  We hope to list ours beginning the first of June, but houses sell much more slowly here.  (It's a rural area, away from a big city.)  Still, our town is growing a bit and new businesses are starting up here -- hopefully bringing in families looking for a home!  

As others have said, your dad is probably looking at it as bittersweet, but it must be a relief for him nevertheless.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J-rap said:

As others have said, your dad is probably looking at it as bittersweet, but it must be a relief for him nevertheless.  

 

Honestly, I don't think it is bittersweet to him much at all.  He really is an Eeyore.  We are complete opposites and that is ok.  But...instead of being happy and excited we got full asking price (one of the highest in the neighborhood currently) with no closing costs, no warranty, no radon testing, etc. (and there was no haggling) - just subject to home inspection - all he talks about is the capital gains tax he will have to pay (he bought the house new in 1968).  Yes, he will have capital gains.  But...I'm like that is next year's problem (that I will be taking care of too - LOL).  Let's finish getting it sold and enjoy this year -- LOL.  I said maybe we shouldn't have spent so much time making it look nice and sold it for less and then he wouldn't have so much capital gains.  He's like NOOOO, I like the higher price -- LOL.  My DH and I are proud of that great offer we (dad) accepted -- LOL.  It felt good after all the blood, sweat, and tears we put into it!

So...it is what it is :-).  I love him, but he has always been a bit of a downer like this.  And...my love language is words of affirmation -- LOL.  Good thing everyone else that knows the impact this has had on me gives me those -- LOL.  

It's all good.  Just glad it is almost done.  Praying for smooth sailing until the sale is complete.

Thanks for all the support and kind words!  This whole process has been life changing to me and DH!

ETA:  Just to give you some insight into his personality, he plays bingo, poker, and some other card game 4 days a week at his new apartment.  I always ask him if he went to his games and he says yes, but he didn't win -- LOL.  I ask if he had fun and enjoyed the people he is with.  He says yes, but he didn't win.  He always adds that he likes to win -- LOL.  He used to do the same thing when he was golfing.  It's is just how he is made.  My mom passed 2001, but I got her personality :-). 

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I'm glad you got your mother's optimistic personality!   I think that makes life a lot easier.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mlktwins said:

 

Honestly, I don't think it is bittersweet to him much at all.  He really is an Eeyore.  We are complete opposites and that is ok.  But...instead of being happy and excited we got full asking price (one of the highest in the neighborhood currently) with no closing costs, no warranty, no radon testing, etc. (and there was no haggling) - just subject to home inspection - all he talks about is the capital gains tax he will have to pay (he bought the house new in 1968).  Yes, he will have capital gains.  But...I'm like that is next year's problem (that I will be taking care of too - LOL).  Let's finish getting it sold and enjoy this year -- LOL.  I said maybe we shouldn't have spent so much time making it look nice and sold it for less and then he wouldn't have so much capital gains.  He's like NOOOO, I like the higher price -- LOL.  My DH and I are proud of that great offer we (dad) accepted -- LOL.  It felt good after all the blood, sweat, and tears we put into it!

So...it is what it is 🙂.  I love him, but he has always been a bit of a downer like this.  And...my love language is words of affirmation -- LOL.  Good thing everyone else that knows the impact this has had on me gives me those -- LOL.  

It's all good.  Just glad it is almost done.  Praying for smooth sailing until the sale is complete.

Thanks for all the support and kind words!  This whole process has been life changing to me and DH!

ETA:  Just to give you some insight into his personality, he plays bingo, poker, and some other card game 4 days a week at his new apartment.  I always ask him if he went to his games and he says yes, but he didn't win -- LOL.  I ask if he had fun and enjoyed the people he is with.  He says yes, but he didn't win.  He always adds that he likes to win -- LOL.  He used to do the same thing when he was golfing.  It's is just how he is made.  My mom passed 2001, but I got her personality :-). 

OMGoodness. I think I have the female version of your dad in my extended family.  Many hugs to you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...