Menu

What's with the ads?

easypeasy

AP Comparative Politics? PAH or at-home?

Does anyone have experience with Julia Reed's AP Comp Politics class at PA Homeschoolers? Or have you had experiences with other providers for this class? Or have you completed it on your own? Looking for recommendations (less-than-stellar reviews are equally welcomed! Just PM me if you don't want to post here!)

my ds is taking it now. i'll let you know when we see how well-prepared  he'll be for the ap exam. i'd say so far pretty good class.. not as good as PAH ap chem but not as bad as PAH ap hug.  can assess properly when he sees how he fares on the ap exam (plus tons of personal test prep next couple weeks) PM me in july.

• Thanks 1

Hi. We are in the same situation. DD17 enjoyed the class and the lectures because she is interested in the subject. She loved the weekly live lecture format and liked that the teaching was broader than just test prep. Not sure how it will translate in terms of AP score. Will not know much next week. Going by her reaction this week after a different AP test- she takes the non-disclosure clause she signed so seriously, she refuses to discuss any part of it even with me :laugh:. Will try to remember to post in July. Regards. 

DS just did a comparative politics course at home this past year and he absolutely loved it! We used 2 college texts

https://www.amazon.com/Essentials-Comparative-Politics-Sixth-Patrick/dp/0393624587/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=comparative+politics&qid=1557329191&s=gateway&sr=8-7

and

https://www.amazon.com/Cases-Comparative-Politics-Sixth-Patrick/dp/0393624595/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2/136-9812611-5459608?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0393624595&pd_rd_r=b6d11985-71a5-11e9-8ad6-676656a66066&pd_rd_w=hmoyj&pd_rd_wg=ArmQI&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=XN44DJGZSZ8PGP0AJ5S5&psc=1&refRID=XN44DJGZSZ8PGP0AJ5S5

He would read and then give a presentation/teach the information to me from each chapter in the essentials book and several case examples from the cases book and then wrote a research paper on the pros and cons of proportional representation. It was a fantastic year! (and much cheaper than an outsourced class) He did not prep for the AP exam, but would have had extra time in his schedule to do so if he had wanted to take the exam.

• Like 1

We did this one at home and it was one of my favorite high school courses. 

However if you want college credit, make sure there is a test site available to you.  So far as I can tell, no school in my small state offers this exam.

Also AP exam registration is shifting to the fall nationwide starting in Fall 2019.