Menu

Freshman year done, home for the summer

Chris in VA

Dd finished yesterday. Are your kids done or almost done? 

Mine won't be coming home for the summer, just here in Jerusalem for a two-week visit (which makes me sorta weepy at the moment). She will be in her hometown,  however, living with our dear friends who have given her a room in their house. 

So I thought I'd create a thread with space to chat about kids coming home--Are you excited? Thinking about how they have changed? Any rule negotiations now that they are adults and coming back under your roof after living in relative freedom away? Do you have plans? Do you have expectations or...really anything you want to vent about or throw in here goes. 😏😉😁

• Like 2

My freshman is flying in tonight for a week then back to school for summer school and to continue his job he has had this spring.

Mixed feelings about this kid. Probably best for him to be there this summer. He will get three classes out of the way. He likes his job and it is related to what he wants to do professionally. There is nothing here for him in our small town. He would work some kind of miserable job if he came home.

Yet, he seems so young to have made what seems to be a permanent move. He is 500 miles away. He didn’t come home for spring break because that was a busy time for his job. Last night he moved himself from his dorm to an off campus sublet. I don’t know...glad he is independent and proud of him but I keep thinking most 18 year olds we know are still in high school. 

He had a good year overall. Grades were good and he easily kept his out of state scholarship which was my main concern. But gosh he had to work so hard for them. Serious roommate issues and a room change. And he had a relationship most of the year that ended and caused some stress. So there were some ups and downs but at the end I feel good he persevered and I know he can handle bumps because he handled quite a few this year. 

So my thoughts are all over the place with this kid. Sad he won’t be home all summer but he isn’t the easiest to live with so I am not distraught. Lol.  Proud of him for taking care of everything himself but it leaves me feeling unsettled. 

I mostly just don’t know how to think or feel. 

• Like 2

My son came home a few days ago. His first year went very well. He is not one for change and going away was quite an adjustment for him, but he found his way and really settled in the second semester. I honestly didn’t know how he would do academically at college since he is my oldest and has some lds, but he did wonderfully.  Dean’s list both semesters and he is so proud and so am I. The nicest thing is to see how his confidence is soaring.

He is going to take a couple of classes this summer and applied for a part time job a couple of days ago. I have been a little worried about how things would go this summer because I’ve heard others say it can be a rough adjustment, but so far, so good. Of course, it’s only been a few days.😊

• Like 1

Dd has 12 days left.  She has an internship in our hometown (paid!! yay!!) and will be taking a summer course at our local CC.  So, she will be busy.  She and I will have a talk about expectations ... we have a pretty good relationship and she knows that I have been through the ringer with her older sibling and just want some peace and not worry.  I imagine our rules will be looser, but I want her to be respectful of how much we worry (and how much I miss her.)  

• Like 2

Mine are commuter students, so we're always negotiating (smile). My goal is four dinners or more together each week with all of the comings-and-goings, but it's complicated all right. Sometimes I don't see my oldest for a day or two.

One is done and graduates from the CC next week. She finished very well.  I'm giving her a week and then have a list of projects for the summer I'm hoping she can get done. No summer school.

The other finishes up in 10 days, but is taking two summer classes and will be away with the National Guard part of the summer.

My last final is next week, and then I have a little over two weeks before I start my summer class that I'm taking. I'm teaching three summer classes.

My dd1 is graduating in two weeks and then she will be home for some of the summer. That is a real treat because, for the past three years, she stayed at school to train or studied abroad. She will work a little as a coach and work on a paper she is co-authoring with a professor for the first part of the summer. Then, she is planning some travel in Europe because she has been nagged into doing something fun by her parents and grandmothers. She heads to law school in the fall.

ds2 is finishing his freshman year. It went pretty well- honestly I had pretty low standards. But his grades are decent and he made some friends and seems to like the school. He is coming home for the summer (he was a little homesick during the stretch of horrible weather in Iowa) and will probably get a crappy job that I hope will motivate him to find a better one after sophomore year.

Our tiny house will be full to bursting- so everyone will need to be good to each other.

My freshman, who goes to school about 30 minutes away, is not coming home for the summer, lol. They offer the orientation leaders a special deal on summer housing, and she also has another job she can walk to from campus, so . . . yeah. We have to move her stuff from her main room temporarily and then back again, but nothing is coming home. We see her in short spurts, it's rare that she actually comes home and it's never for more than overnight, so she's kind of the poster kid for establishing independence without moving far away, lol. 

My junior (rising senior) is home for the summer, her school is a 7-hour drive away. She was in France most of last summer and this is her last 'school break' so we're really glad she's here. No summer job yet. She decided to do her internship during the fall semester because it will cost much, much less money than something over the summer. Even if she takes two classes to ease her load senior year, it will still be a substantial savings. I'm hoping she spends a bit of time on campus with her sister, bc it can be tough with none of her friends being here. 

No big rule negotiations or anything, we're all pretty compatible 'roommates' and we don't mind them coming in late and whatnot. It's actually a pleasant change from their high school social life, which generally featured us driving them everywhere and worrying more. 

Ds just got home last night from a semester in London followed by two weeks of travel.  He has has a wonderful first year and says he can’t believe he’s done with one year already.  He’s made friends, weathered storms and gotten straight As.  

He has his same job at a trampoline park.  He doesn’t like it, but couldn’t really look for a job while in Europe.

I am excited to have him back, but worried it will be a hard summer bc he’ll miss his friends and all the action at school. His closest friends in high school aren’t around this summer. Hopefully he will connect with some other acquaintances.

On 5/5/2019 at 3:03 PM, katilac said:

My junior (rising senior) is home for the summer, her school is a 7-hour drive away. She was in France most of last summer and this is her last 'school break' so we're really glad she's here. No summer job yet. 

Quoting myself to say she now has a job! Directly related to the French part of her major, woot! 

• Like 2

DS finished finals and is home now.  He did well and made many friends.  We are glad that he is home and expect him to help around the house while looking for a job.  

DH and I had a laugh this morning because I threw away one of son’s fitted bedsheets.  DS left with two white ones and only changed the bed sheet three times in eight months.  I think that is gross, but DH told me to celebrate the small victories, like the fact that he managed to wash his clothes regularly.  We are now in the process of washing, packing, and stowing his dorm room gear because it is spread about the house.  It has been interesting to discover what supplies he used, and I found a completely unused academic planner....:huh:

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Heathermomster said:

It has been interesting to discover what supplies he used, and I found a completely unused academic planner....:huh:

Some parents have been reporting finding bathroom cleaning supplies (from suite-style living with their own bathroom) unopened upon move out. :blink:

I'd be happy the sheets were washed a couple of times. 

• Like 1

dd came home on Monday.  Since she has an aunt and uncle who live close to her college, she is stowing much of her dorm stuff in their basement for the summer.  But her piles of stuff made into our living room.  And since she is digging through them to get stuff, little by little, they are expanding.  She has an internship starting next Monday.  Goal #1:  get it all out of my living room before her internship starts.  Goal #2, get it put away before she starts her summer course in 2 weeks.    

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mine came home last Friday, a week ago.  He is enjoying being home and now has transferred to the local state school and will live at home.  He found he didn't like living away from home as much as he thought he would.  

• Like 1