Menu

PSA: Warning: CDC Warning: Don't wash raw chicken

Lanny

Yeah, I never did that to begin with. Never made sense to me, plus I already "knew" that it would spread germs all over the place. Can't even remember why it had been recommended to wash it to begin with. 

• Like 5

I've never washed raw chicken, but I do wash what it comes in contact with.  How is that different when it comes to the spread of bacteria?  I'm not going to use disposable everything when it comes to raw meat and I think it's irresponsible of the CDC to focus on washing raw meat instead of how to make sure bacteria isn't spread in normal conditions.

Is there a better link for this? Fox News isn't exactly known for facts and information in a coherent manner.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I've never washed raw chicken, but I do wash what it comes in contact with.  How is that different when it comes to the spread of bacteria?  I'm not going to use disposable everything when it comes to raw meat and I think it's irresponsible of the CDC to focus on washing raw meat instead of how to make sure bacteria isn't spread in normal conditions.

Is there a better link for this? Fox News isn't exactly known for facts and information in a coherent manner.

Here is the CDC website on it: https://www.cdc.gov/features/SalmonellaChicken/index.html

27 minutes ago, beckyjo said:

Thanks.  It still doesn't explain how it's okay to have it touch other surfaces (cutting boards, utensils, dishes, countertops) but that it's dangerous to wash chicken in a sink.  Another site I found after specifically looking for an increased risk in washing chicken came up with this:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
People can become infected not only from washing raw chicken, but also from using unwashed chopping boards or utensils they used to cut the raw meat to also prepare vegetables or other raw or lightly cooked foods.

As part of the awareness campaign, the FSA provide a guide to handling raw chicken.

In April 2013, Medical News Today reported how, according to an Environmental Working Group analysis of results from government tests, much of American meat is contaminated with superbugs or antibiotic-resistant bacteria. The analysis found that 81% of raw ground turkey, 55% of raw ground beef, and 39% of raw chicken parts were infected.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I totally agree that people should be safe when handling raw meat.  However, it seems like this wasn't a well thought out directive that explains that it's not washing chicken, it's MINIMIZING the contact with raw chicken that can make a difference.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VaKim said:

Yeah, I never did that to begin with. Never made sense to me, plus I already "knew" that it would spread germs all over the place. Can't even remember why it had been recommended to wash it to begin with. 

Same here. I never washed it and always heard it was not recommended because it would spread germs. I guess there are enough people who weren't aware of it for them to find it necessary to issue the warning. 

• Like 1

I was taught to wash it, but I stopped a few years ago when I heard this. Much easier anyway!

There are a number of things like this in cooking that still horrify my mother. Like, I told her this, but she still insists on washing the chicken. Oh well.

I think I used to rinse it now and then (to get rid of that gooky chicken juice coating), but not after hearing this some years ago.  I suppose it's just to eliminate it splattering and not knowing where it's splattering?  But I've never thought the option that they give is much better, which is to dab it dry with paper towels.  Then you have gooky paper towels that you have to throw away somewhere, and you might have to lift up the lid of the wastebasket to throw them away but by then you have probably have it on your hands too...  

16 hours ago, Farrar said:

I was taught to wash it, but I stopped a few years ago when I heard this. Much easier anyway!

There are a number of things like this in cooking that still horrify my mother. Like, I told her this, but she still insists on washing the chicken. Oh well.

I could have written this. In fact, my mother and I discussed this very article before I saw this post. Her response? "But I wash everything the chicken comes in contact with." I cannot convince her that when she washes it, there can be splatter that she isn't aware of yadda yadda yadda. And also, what does she think washing it does? According to her, it's not to get rid of germs (the cooking does that), it's to get rid of dirt!

Again, no amount of me saying anything will convince her that if her chicken has dirt on it, she should be buying different chicken!

• Like 1