Menu

Hi!  I have a high school daughter and middle school son.  Our typical path of learning is doing Charlotte Mason style up through 8th grade and then switching to a more Classical approach for high school.  This has worked well for us so far.  My question is about teaching geography.

I have read most of the Well Trained Mind and have not noticed whether she recommends doing geography alongside all other subjects or doing it as a separate subject.  I may have just missed that part, not sure. 

Anyway, what's the best way to teach this? 

Thanks so much for any advice you can give!  🙂

Edited by Maggie2354

I can only tell you what we did.  I don't know that it was the best way.  I wasn't going to do geography because I was doing three years of world history and one of US History.  However, in my state, they do tend to require World Geography in public high school, and I wanted my dd to slide into admissions into our public university with no question, so once she picked her school, I decided to throw in a year of World Geography.

We started with Ace Paces and got about half way through.  They are painfully the opposite of modern, however, so I had to stop.  We then studied Usborne's Geography and DK Geography.  That finished out our year.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably do something else.  I had really been hoping for a git'er done approach, though.  Sigh.

• Like 1

Memoria Press has straightforward Geography. 1 & 2 are grades 5 to 8 ish. Geography 3 is more like 6th to 9th. If they've had no geography, the Geography 3 would be a lot of memorization, but it could be extended with the optional assignments to be enough for a credit.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 6:22 AM, MamaSprout said:

Memoria Press has straightforward Geography. 1 & 2 are grades 5 to 8 ish. Geography 3 is more like 6th to 9th. If they've had no geography, the Geography 3 would be a lot of memorization, but it could be extended with the optional assignments to be enough for a credit.

We are using it alongside Ellen McHenry's Mapping the World with Art. Besides the mapping in the art portion, there are essays on the history of map-making and exploration. It's also super easy to find side resources such as podcasts (Stuff You Missed in History) that go along with those topics or regions. And documentaries--there are plenty of documentaries that can go well with Geography. The MP stuff does have historical information along with the maps and such. 

I don't know what WTM specifically says, but this is what we did.

1st-4th - talk about cultures and languages around the world as it comes up during world history, use globes and maps during history studies, do a Beginning Map Skills book, learn states and capitals

5th-8th - Trail Guide to World Geography & Trail Guide to US Geography

high school - once a week play Seterra games

All my high schoolers have a pretty good knowledge of where things are at when we talk about world events, which was my goal.