Menu

Old Fashioned School Supplies

51 minutes ago, Targhee said:

We use a small student blackboard that has lasted 4 kids.  That’s the only “old fashion thing we have

I am tempted to buy the Hagoromo Fulltouch Color Chalk for doodling after watching this video.

• Like 3

While not the world's best pencils, Dixon Ticonderogas are, indeed, excellent.

At this point, I think our white boards are practically vintage. Sigh. We use them a ton. Also, ds when doing math online, takes a board and a board marker and writes on the computer screen. Lol.

Well now I didn't even know mechanical wall mounted pencil sharpeners and plain wooden pencils were vintage. I love mine. I bought an electric one but lost the cord before I could even plug it in. Non electric, non computerized, non one way only works much better for me.

• Like 3

If I think back to when my kiddos were in public school, I would say that notebook paper was a vintage supply that I love. They had us buy spiral notebooks and they all came home unused at the end of the year. Imagine a year of no real written output. It was all click an answer or bubble in one. 

Now that we homeschool, that 'vintage' notebook paper is used daily 🙂

• Like 3

Also not sure if this would be considered vintage, but we love our World Book encyclopedias! I include them here because about 2 months ago a college sophomore (who was valedictorian of her class and is currently attending a ‘prestigious Christian’ private college) asked me about a topic she was researching. I told her to look it up in the encyclopedia and she says, “I don’t think I have ever even touched an encyclopedia.”!!! Internet was all she had used. Who knew good research was vintage!

• Like 4

Brown paper bags for book covers!  Used one on a textbook DD used for a class this year...it's lasted the whole year with nary a rip or tear.  :)  She was very impressed with my old-school book wrapping technique.  

The challenge is to actually find brown paper bags anymore.  

• Like 7

On 5/2/2019 at 12:35 PM, HomeAgain said:

We use refillable fountain pens. The same bottle of ink has lasted 3 years now.

I am a fountain pen fan too!  I usually stick with a cartridge, but I have one that has a converter I use with bottled ink.  Perhaps one day I will be generous enough to allow my children to use them, but for now I hoard them for myself!

I'd very much enjoy writing on a chalkboard as a vintage supply, but I'd rather not introduce that much dust into a home I am in charge of cleaning.  Whiteboard it is!

On 5/8/2019 at 8:34 PM, Ema said:

Also not sure if this would be considered vintage, but we love our World Book encyclopedias! 

I love these too!  Our county had the annual library book sale last week. I got the full set of 2017 Commemorative Edition World Book encyclopedias for only $22!  They are like new. You could tell some of them were never even used! (It was like Christmas morning for me!)

• Like 2

On 5/8/2019 at 8:34 PM, Ema said:

Also not sure if this would be considered vintage, but we love our World Book encyclopedias! I include them here because about 2 months ago a college sophomore (who was valedictorian of her class and is currently attending a ‘prestigious Christian’ private college) asked me about a topic she was researching. I told her to look it up in the encyclopedia and she says, “I don’t think I have ever even touched an encyclopedia.”!!! Internet was all she had used. Who knew good research was vintage!

Encyclopedias are so limiting though!! Everything is at their fingertips online...

• Haha 1

I still use Rubber Cement often. Also, I looked everywhere online trying to find a trapper keeper for my 10 yo dd. The only ones I could find were either very old, extremely expensive, or the new bulky version... so I had to build my own. .....  I miss the Trapper Keeper. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2019 at 7:05 PM, hippiemamato3 said:

Encyclopedias are so limiting though!! Everything is at their fingertips online...

In doing research I have had my son start at encyclopedias -- but this is what I have found. For the topics we are researching (Brain surgeons and how to become one, the swing of a pendulum, how far a spring can be stretched without deforming) there has been very little in encyclopedias. We've sometimes even struggled to find books written at  a level he understands.  I don't know if, because of access to the Internet, less is being published. But I don't remember having this much problem finding science fair research when I was in school.

Edited by vonfirmath

• 2 weeks later...

When I was little I had a whole set of the Golden Book Encyclopedias, which I read constantly.  Our kids cannot conceive of the idea of having a question about what something is or how it works and having to search through a book to find the answer, much less wait until the next library trip.  The Golden Books were great in that they were written to the 3rd grade level, so I could read about Romania or Moths without having to decipher a complicated wikipedia article.

But boy, the instant access reward of being able to look up "what is this huge green moth on my porch" at 2 am is totally worth it.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2019 at 1:46 AM, DiannaKennedy said:

Martin Cothran just wrote an article over on Memoria Press, "In Praise of Accidental Knowlege", about the benefits of staying low tech. He mentions accidental knowledge, while looking something up in World Book. 

I agree.  When i look something up in an encyclopedia or a dictionary I often read a few entries around it.  That fun is lost looking things up online.