Menu

feelings as I am finishing up my daughter's final transcript

kfeusse

As I am compiling my daughter's final transcript as the final thing for her college entrance, I am very aware of her grades. I would not say she is super studious or an over achiever by any means, but her grades are mostly A's...not because she aced everything the first time around, but because as homeschoolers, I make my kids do, redo, and redo again if needed until they get things done correctly.

I clearly know that in a public school that is not the way things are done...and now I am feeling a bit guilty because, are my children's grades not as accurate as they would be if I adopted the "public school way" ?

And, I also wonder if they actually retained what they once learned...but I also know that could very easily be the same in public school. Her ACT test scores are not super high...they are ok...but not excellent. (if they would test over History her score would be higher :) )

So, I guess I am wondering, is this "normal" for a homeschooling mom to be thinking/feeling this way...and if not...how do I deal with this within my own self. thanks for your thoughts on this subject! I appreciate it greatly.
  • Like 1

I agree that my daughter's education was better than my own, however, are the college expectations higher than when I went to college?  That is a real concern for me too.  Plus, she has never gone through "final's week" like other kids...so when that hits in college...will she be overwhelmed by the whole idea?  I just worry too much maybe?

When my oldest was in middle school I was at a neighbor's house.  Their high schooler's report card was on the fridge.  It was all A's and 1 A- in a foreign language.  I said "Wow - great looking report card".  Step mom said "Oh yeah.   Bob (kid's dad) has to call the school to fix that foreign language grade".  High schooler went on to an elite school.  

Since that time, I feel zero guilt about my kid having straight A's.  I actually require him to complete the work and don't just slap down the A's.  My kid has straight A's through dual enrollment too so it's nice to have additional data backing it up. 

• Like 1

I had the opposite reaction when putting together my eldest's transcripts because the only grades on there that weren't As were given by me for at home classes. She has taken a lot of online classes through a slew of providers (6? 8?) and several college classes from a 4 yr institution. She only ever earned As (or A+s) from those teachers. But for me, her work wasn't always so on time or great (especially in 9th). Her standardized test scores correlate with a higher GPA than what she ended with.  Was I holding her back from some scholarships or acceptances with my honest grading?

In the end, I am at peace. She earned what she earned (as I believe that if she would have put as much effort into her at home classes as she does to her live online ones, the grades would have matched up). I don't think standardized tests or any grades from high school will affect her college performance. Her effort will dictate how well she does (meaning she might have to work harder than she ever has before in some classes to earn an A while others might not be as challenging). Plus, many high schools indulge in grade inflation.

Finals week can be overwhelming to anyone - or it can be a great experience. If she's used to working hard and studying all semester long, she won't have to cram to be ready for her finals. She can walk out of each one knowing she has done her best and that her performance is an accurate representation of her knowledge.

• Like 3

I actually ended up feeling like I was too harsh in grading with my oldest two dc. It all worked out but their ACT scores were much higher than public school peers with 4.0 GPAs.

My current high schooler has a 4.0 at the end of 10th grade and I feel that is a more accurate reflection of his status than the lower GPAs my older kids had.

There are lots of things to worry about but I wouldn't fret about this 😉

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kfeusse said:
As I am compiling my daughter's final transcript as the final thing for her college entrance, I am very aware of her grades. I would not say she is super studious or an over achiever by any means, but her grades are mostly A's...not because she aced everything the first time around, but because as homeschoolers, I make my kids do, redo, and redo again if needed until they get things done correctly.

I clearly know that in a public school that is not the way things are done...and now I am feeling a bit guilty because, are my children's grades not as accurate as they would be if I adopted the "public school way" ?

And, I also wonder if they actually retained what they once learned...but I also know that could very easily be the same in public school. Her ACT test scores are not super high...they are ok...but not excellent. (if they would test over History her score would be higher 🙂 )

So, I guess I am wondering, is this "normal" for a homeschooling mom to be thinking/feeling this way...and if not...how do I deal with this within my own self. thanks for your thoughts on this subject! I appreciate it greatly.

That is EXACTLY how it's done in our local public high school. In fact, pre-test review frequently entails reviewing the precise questions and answers that will be on the test. So dispense with the guilt, mama. 🙂

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JoJosMom said:

That is EXACTLY how it's done in our local public high school. In fact, pre-test review frequently entails reviewing the precise questions and answers that will be on the test. So dispense with the guilt, mama. 🙂

I did not know that until now...I am so surprised...but very relieved.  THANK YOU so much to all of you who responded to this...I feel so much better now.

• Like 1