Menu

feelings as I am finishing up my daughter's final transcript

As I am compiling my daughter's final transcript as the final thing for her college entrance, I am very aware of her grades. I would not say she is super studious or an over achiever by any means, but her grades are mostly A's...not because she aced everything the first time around, but because as homeschoolers, I make my kids do, redo, and redo again if needed until they get things done correctly.

I clearly know that in a public school that is not the way things are done...and now I am feeling a bit guilty because, are my children's grades not as accurate as they would be if I adopted the "public school way" ?

And, I also wonder if they actually retained what they once learned...but I also know that could very easily be the same in public school. Her ACT test scores are not super high...they are ok...but not excellent. (if they would test over History her score would be higher :) )

So, I guess I am wondering, is this "normal" for a homeschooling mom to be thinking/feeling this way...and if not...how do I deal with this within my own self. thanks for your thoughts on this subject! I appreciate it greatly.

I don't think that you should feel guilty about her grades. The problem is not with you and your reporting of her grades. The problem is that grades are well suited for public school students but are mostly meaningless for homeschooled students. I don't really feel like grades ever had a purpose for me, but I had to provide them for my (now graduated) high schoolers and even my current third grader. Like you, I required work to be redone until it was correct and mastered. I would say that it sounds like you have done everything right, and you should not spend another minute worrying or feeling guilty about her grades. Congratulations on your daughter's graduation!

Actually, one of the biggest new trends in public school education is "standards based learning" and students do indeed have the opportunity to retake tests and redo papers until they have mastered the concepts. Consequently, PS students also have the opportunity to achieve mostly As if they so desire and put in the work. I would not worry about it even a little bit. You're probably presenting just as accurate of a picture as PS grades do. 😉

• Like 2

I think my daughter only received one B from me as well. She took a few online courses and got As so I feel like my grades were fair. I just put together a notebook with all her grade reports and transcript from high school yesterday. It was an emotional time, but mostly I'm proud of all we accomplished together. Congratulations to you both!

I felt exactly the way that you did.  However, my kids had a lot of public school friends, and when I learned how many of them had all or nearly all A's, I let go of my guilt.  Also, knowing that my kids scored well on their online classes and did well on standardized testing helped me feel better about mom-grades.

No guilt here.  I include in my school profile that we teach to mastery.   I don't even give my kids written tests for most subjects.  Grades are based on oral discussion and essays.  I have had 5 go on to college and take classes.  All of them have earned high grades b/c they know how to learn.  

• Like 2

I went through the same thing until I arrived at the fact that we learned to mastery level, and when I submitted the transcript to all the universities, I sent along  documents explaining my philosophy of education, methods of instruction, etc..  There was no question from any of the universities about the transcripts or my methods. Go in peace and enjoy this wonderful milestone!

Blessings,
Lisa 🙂