Menu

Mindful Parenting for High Needs Kids online conference

On May 2, 2019 at 8:08 AM, Runningmom80 said:

I’m sure this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea

Ok, remind me why we wouldn't like these people? They secretly burn children in odd offerings on Mayan temple tops? LOL I walked up some on a cruise excursion, wow. Maybe children were too scared to disobey?

I know I've read some of these authors. It's definitely an impressive list. Sometimes books are frustrating because you scavenge for things that fit your situation, sigh. 

So are you going to watch it? I see it has a signup deadline or something. How many days is this? With that list, it's going to take a while for them to get through! And then they're going to put the sessions up for sale or do some marketing?

It's kind of an interesting concept to say they're going to parent by science. I know I talk with people who are like well I use the techniques I learned for ABA with my NT dc. But when I talk with my close friends, they're like yeah what you have to do (what we're told by professionals to do) is sort of counter-intuitive to what we would have thought to do. So it could be that I hang with a lot of mean stiffs, but it's sort of a rabbit trail there about appropriateness, data, what the population was for the data, how that fits our kids.I went to this psych talk at a homeschool convention and she was all THIS IS YOUR DC'S GREATEST NEED. I'm like fine, now I know, let me act on that. But then you dig in and realize no, once we interject the disability, his greatest need is actually something ELSE.

In other words, I get cockamamie listening to people sometimes, lol. I like to learn new things and read widely and embrace truth where ever I find it, absolutely. But it's so easy to get off-track for my ds and be stuck on someone else's idea of what would help, sigh. 

But MGW hasn't been like that, sure. She's pretty spot-on. So maybe the key is picking which sessions and looking all these people up? 

That's just a ramble. I'm still not over this virus and I should be out pulling weeds now that the ground is nice and soft from the rain. 

• Like 1

I think Dan Peters is a big name with anxiety stuff. 

I liked this lady's hashtag...MERCEDES SAMUDIO, Social Worker, Creator of #EndParentShaming

Sometimes if you google names or names of talks, you can find podcasts or blog posts. It helps me decide how much time I want to devote to these conferences.

Thank you for posting the link!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Pen said:

That looks interesting.  I wonder if it should be cross posted to Chat where people dealing with emotional crises and so in might see it

I can post it there too. “High needs” isn’t necessarily learning challenges I just figured here was most appropriate. 

On 5/3/2019 at 1:32 PM, PeterPan said:

Oh that's hilarious

#EndParentShaming was THE description that caught my eye. 

I’m so tired of the parent expectations. I might just be raw and tired, but darn if I didn’t YET again just get a psych who wanted me to know that “learning how to create structure, be gentle but firm, and use some ABA techniques” may be enough to resolve most of my youngest’s challenges. This psych had just diagnosed said youngest child with ASD2 (and anxiety, depression, and ADHD) and was arguing with my comment that we’d be immediately pursuing meds as well as ABA and an IEP at school. 

I just wanted to smack him. I mean, sure, his bias might be anti-meds. And sure, we aren’t perfect parents by any definition. There’s always more to learn. But we have two other sons on the spectrum, so he wasn’t talking to rookies who know nothing about structure and ABA. What we’ve been doing isn’t working. We are structured. We are firm. We are gentle. We ABA the HECK out of our kids. I need more help. Your bias isn’t helpful here, man. 

• Sad 1

Maybe once it starts happening we can post which seem to be especially good for various situations.  

I love Daniel Siegel’s Mindsight and also found Brainstorm helpful—so will probably at least want to catch his talk.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 9:13 PM, Pen said:

Maybe once it starts happening we can post which seem to be especially good for various situations.  

I love Daniel Siegel’s Mindsight and also found Brainstorm helpful—so will probably at least want to catch his talk.

Is he the whole Brain child guy? I keep forgetting to check that. I like that guys books, hopefully it's the same guy. lol

Yes, I will for sure post about any I have time to watch. Hopefully others can join in too!

18 minutes ago, Runningmom80 said:

Is he the whole Brain child guy? I keep forgetting to check that. I like that guys books, hopefully it's the same guy. lol

Yes, I will for sure post about any I have time to watch. Hopefully others can join in too!

I thinks so.  But that’s one I didn’t read. I was at teen brainstorm stage by time I discovered him

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pen said:

I thinks so.  But that’s one I didn’t read. I was at teen brainstorm stage by time I discovered him

That makes sense. I found it interesting from a brain development stand point, but I also had small kids at the time. I’ll definitely listen to his talk. 

Anyone watching? I've just started. The Dan Peters 2E talk has been good. Nothing earth shattering but I appreciated the points he made about perfectionism and also how 2E kids level out and seem "fine." Makes me feel less insane as I prepare for our follow up meeting with the school next week.

• Like 1

Sound fine for me too.  

My favorite has been the Christopher Willard one which I almost gave a miss to because title said “young children” and I don’t have young children.  But I think it’s relevant for any age.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pen said:

Sound fine for me too.  

My favorite has been the Christopher Willard one which I almost gave a miss to because title said “young children” and I don’t have young children.  But I think it’s relevant for any age.

Good to know! I'm going to see if it's still up.

Not that interested in the speakers today TBH.