Menu

What's with the ads?

caedmyn

literature-based science for elementary?

Who has a literature-based science curriculum for elementary ages besides Simply Charlotte Mason and Noeo?  This would be for 1st, 3rd, and 5th grades.

Bookshark / Sonlight.  We loved Bookshark.  

ETA:  we are using NOEO this year and Bookshark is so much better.  Books are much better and so are experiments, but certainly more time consuming (and more meaty science).  You could use level 3.

Edited by parent

Your library.  😉 Seriously, for those ages all you need to do is let them check books out of the library on any science topics that interest them.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Your library.  😉 Seriously, for those ages all you need to do is let them check books out of the library on any science topics that interest them.

This. We combine this approach with a lot of time in nature, visiting the science and natural history museums, hands-on science kits, and child-designed experiments. But there are a lot of library books involved.

4 hours ago, Bay Lake Mom said:

You might enjoy Elemental Science. It would work well for those ages. 

Oh, this looks great!  And I just bought Mystery Science 😞   Would the Sassafras novels be good for kids to read on their own?

10 minutes ago, parent said:

Oh, this looks great!  And I just bought Mystery Science 😞   Would the Sassafras novels be good for kids to read on their own?

My literature-loving daughter loves Sassafras Science, and I was really surprised at how much she retained this year. I buy the printed novels and the audio files. I think the notebooks are good for reinforcement, so I also buy the student logbook and the teacher's guide.

I really disliked Sassafras. My kids thought it was super lame.

Actual books from the library for the win. No curriculum needed but an outline of what you want to study or a desire to just go where the books lead.

29 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I really disliked Sassafras. My kids thought it was super lame.

Why? 

I was just thinking of getting the novels for my daughter to read on her own.  Is it not worthwhile reading? 

On 5/2/2019 at 10:06 PM, parent said:

Why? 

I was just thinking of getting the novels for my daughter to read on her own.  Is it not worthwhile reading? 

The writing is terrible IMO.  You might have her read a sample first to see if she likes it.  

19 minutes ago, caedmyn said:

The writing is terrible IMO.  You might have her read a sample first to see if she likes it.  

Hmm.  I'm not a big fan of Magic Treehouse so if it's worse than that, I won't worry about it.  And I don't see any used copies for sale.