Menu

literature-based science for elementary?

5 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Your library.  😉 Seriously, for those ages all you need to do is let them check books out of the library on any science topics that interest them.

This. We combine this approach with a lot of time in nature, visiting the science and natural history museums, hands-on science kits, and child-designed experiments. But there are a lot of library books involved.

10 minutes ago, parent said:

Oh, this looks great!  And I just bought Mystery Science 😞   Would the Sassafras novels be good for kids to read on their own?

My literature-loving daughter loves Sassafras Science, and I was really surprised at how much she retained this year. I buy the printed novels and the audio files. I think the notebooks are good for reinforcement, so I also buy the student logbook and the teacher's guide.

On 5/2/2019 at 10:06 PM, parent said:

Why? 

I was just thinking of getting the novels for my daughter to read on her own.  Is it not worthwhile reading? 

The writing is terrible IMO.  You might have her read a sample first to see if she likes it.