Menu

It starts again...

linders

DS18 just accepted at UofSC yesterday and did housing and other paperwork today. Just now sent the "thanks but no thanks" emails to other colleges.

As that was happening, DS16 asked if I could order an SAT prep book - he wants to start studying for a fall date. After attending an all-day event at Duke a couple of weeks ago, he was inspired to start his college research and now has a substantial list.

Is a short break from this too much to ask?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

We just got our second ds through his freshman year (last final tomorrow!). 

Third ds (rising 11th grade) just scheduled two college tours for July. One I am interested in. The other I toured twice with my second ds. I’m not thrilled about going down this road again. 

I tell him he has plenty of time but the truth is he will be in de and have many 4-H commitments so it does get hard to make visits. I do want him excited about the affordable options so it would be good if he liked these schools. But still. I’m kind of tired of it at the moment.

• Like 1

I feel the pain... it's been 3 years already for me (LEGOManiac's Junior/Senior year, then DD's Junior year, applications this fall taking us into her senior year -- and then PokeMan starts!  At least I don't have NCAA mess with PokeMan!

• Like 1

When DS15 was in middle school I decided to give him an extra year before starting high school (summer birthday), so he's 9th instead of 10th right now. I had no idea when I did it that the best reason for the decision would be to give ME an extra year before doing college apps again! (Of course, it means the NEXT brother is 2 years after instead of 3, so it really all comes out the same....but I don't have to think about that yet!)

• Haha 2

Oh, I know. DS, a rising junior, told me Saturday that he was interested in competing in his sport in college. As we already dual-enrolled him at CC for the fall, I need to figure out if there are any restrictions with regards to dual-enrollment. And I thought that he was going to be easier because he is not shooting for highly selective schools. 

• Like 1

Ohhhh, yesssss. DD1 graduated high school in 2016. Then, we had a nice break because DD2 decided to take a gap year after high school, so she's graduating in 2019, but won't be applying to college until 2019/2020 and beginning college in 2020. That sounded GREAT and the break WAS nice until I realized that DS1 will be a senior 2020/2021, which means I'll have two applying to college back-to-back. :blink: So while DD2 is finishing up her ACT/SATs now (late in her senior year), DS has decided he wants to take his first one this summer because he's going to do dual enrollment next year and has decided he wants to give the PSAT/National Merit a shot after all. 👾

☠️

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Arch at Home said:

Oh, I know. DS, a rising junior, told me Saturday that he was interested in competing in his sport in college. As we already dual-enrolled him at CC for the fall, I need to figure out if there are any restrictions with regards to dual-enrollment. And I thought that he was going to be easier because he is not shooting for highly selective schools. 

No, Dual Enrollment has no impact on NCAA eligibility.  Just provide a transcript, and for any core courses (math, English, social studies/history, or science) he does through DE, you don't have to worry about the Core Course Worksheets.

1 hour ago, LisaK in VA is in IT said:

No, Dual Enrollment has no impact on NCAA eligibility.  Just provide a transcript, and for any core courses (math, English, social studies/history, or science) he does through DE, you don't have to worry about the Core Course Worksheets.

He is currently on track to earn an AA through dual enrollment prior to graduating from high school. Will the number of hours or the degree impact eligibility? My girls did similar and they were allowed to enroll as Freshman but we’re not athletes; I want him to do the same with 4 years of eligibility. 

12 minutes ago, Arch at Home said:

He is currently on track to earn an AA through dual enrollment prior to graduating from high school. Will the number of hours or the degree impact eligibility? My girls did similar and they were allowed to enroll as Freshman but we’re not athletes; I want him to do the same with 4 years of eligibility. 

I am looking through the NCAA site for the exact place it says this... but if he is considered a high school student -- the number of hours earned have no impact on eligibility.  

21 minutes ago, Arch at Home said:

The best thing to do is go start the registration process at the NCAA eligibility Center -- start the process.  NCAA rules were just changed to allow for contact during sophomore year.  There is a bunch of paperwork that needs to be done, and your son needs to start identifying schools/programs he'd like to attend and reaching out to college coaches.  You don't need to do the paid option until later, but at least get his number and start looking through the homeschool tool-kit to be prepared.

3 hours ago, LisaK in VA is in IT said:

The best thing to do is go start the registration process at the NCAA eligibility Center -- start the process.  NCAA rules were just changed to allow for contact during sophomore year.  There is a bunch of paperwork that needs to be done, and your son needs to start identifying schools/programs he'd like to attend and reaching out to college coaches.  You don't need to do the paid option until later, but at least get his number and start looking through the homeschool tool-kit to be prepared.

Thank you for this information. I had read older threads that said to wait. We will get started on the paperwork. 

3 hours ago, LisaK in VA is in IT said:

I am looking through the NCAA site for the exact place it says this... but if he is considered a high school student -- the number of hours earned have no impact on eligibility.  

I was trying to find this also with no luck. An IRL friend had said there was a restriction on the number of hours but I question how up she is on the requirements. 

8 minutes ago, Arch at Home said:

Thank you for this information. I had read older threads that said to wait. We will get started on the paperwork. 

You don't have to do the paperwork until you pay for the NCAA account.  We started with a free account, because it assigns you an NCAA Clearinghouse number, which all of the recruiting forms ask for.  I think you can get a copy of the homeschool toolkit from there -- if you can't, send me a PM and I'll email it to you, just so you can get a feeling for what you will need to do.  The forms tend to change (I had to do 3 different ones for my oldest), but these aren't needed until Junior year at the moment.  We'll see if they up the due dates based upon changes to the recruiting rules.

5 minutes ago, Arch at Home said:

I was trying to find this also with no luck. An IRL friend had said there was a restriction on the number of hours but I question how up she is on the requirements. 

The only restrictions I've come across (looking at the homeschool & NCAA FB page) have to do with the college, not the NCAA.  

11 hours ago, LisaK in VA is in IT said:

You don't have to do the paperwork until you pay for the NCAA account.  We started with a free account, because it assigns you an NCAA Clearinghouse number, which all of the recruiting forms ask for.  I think you can get a copy of the homeschool toolkit from there -- if you can't, send me a PM and I'll email it to you, just so you can get a feeling for what you will need to do.  The forms tend to change (I had to do 3 different ones for my oldest), but these aren't needed until Junior year at the moment.  We'll see if they up the due dates based upon changes to the recruiting rules.

We will get on line and start the process this weekend. I am certain that the NCAA will have information about the required paperwork but where is the best place to find out about the actual recruitment process? We have much to learn. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Arch at Home said:

We will get on line and start the process this weekend. I am certain that the NCAA will have information about the required paperwork but where is the best place to find out about the actual recruitment process? We have much to learn. 

Which sport?  We're swimming...  NCSA has some resources, but to really take advantage of what they have, they require $$$$.  If you don't feel comfortable working the process yourself (which honestly, is contacting college coaches, filling out questionnaires online, visiting, attending a camp or two, and following up -- most of which needs to be done by your son), the paid services can be helpful.  Just keep in mind, that especially for most men's sports, there isn't a lot of $$ for scholarships -- so the academic/school match (even with girls) should come first.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LisaK in VA is in IT said:

Which sport?  We're swimming...  NCSA has some resources, but to really take advantage of what they have, they require $$$$.  If you don't feel comfortable working the process yourself (which honestly, is contacting college coaches, filling out questionnaires online, visiting, attending a camp or two, and following up -- most of which needs to be done by your son), the paid services can be helpful.  Just keep in mind, that especially for most men's sports, there isn't a lot of $$ for scholarships -- so the academic/school match (even with girls) should come first.  

He is a distance runner who is just becoming competitive as he has finally began to grow. I realize that there isn’t a lot of money but he has a teammate who just committed to a local school with a scholarship to run. I imagine that it was small. My niece also ran in college. These are both D2 schools though he has been looking at D1. This will be an interesting lens to look at schools through.  

What type of camps? I have heard of one day soccer camps at the local university which seem exclusively for recruiting but I have not heard of track/cross country camps other than week long affairs. I don’t believe either his cousin or friend did one of the longer ones. 

A lot will depend on how much he wants to put into it. I am just doing the behind the scenes legwork. 

2 minutes ago, Arch at Home said:

He is a distance runner who is just becoming competitive as he has finally began to grow. I realize that there isn’t a lot of money but he has a teammate who just committed to a local school with a scholarship to run. I imagine that it was small. My niece also ran in college. These are both D2 schools though he has been looking at D1. This will be an interesting lens to look at schools through.  

What type of camps? I have heard of one day soccer camps at the local university which seem exclusively for recruiting but I have not heard of track/cross country camps other than week long affairs. I don’t believe either his cousin or friend did one of the longer ones. 

A lot will depend on how much he wants to put into it. I am just doing the behind the scenes legwork. 

Start a FREE NCSA profile.  https://www.ncsasports.org/  If you want, you can set up a recruiting information session -- be forewarned, they will way over promise what they can deliver.  The costs (IMO are exorbitant).  But, many families need/appreciate the assistance.  I will PM my daughter's profile page (hopefully that will work for you.

Here are a couple of decent articles on the process.

https://www.collegesportsscholarships.com/college-cross-country-recruiting.htm

https://www.milesplit.com/articles/199585/a-parents-guide-to-the-recruiting-process 

https://distancerunningrecruiting.com/articles

**some of the information on the recruiting process has changed, especially with regard to contact/official visits**

Running and swimming have a bit in common, since there are times involved.  We started by comparing my children's times to the times of entering freshmen at schools they were entering (for us, collegeswimming.com pooled this information).  If that type of system isn't available for you, you could try looking at NCAA results and comparing D1/D2/D3 programs to get some idea as to where he would fit -- look at Conference Championships (D1/D2/D3) He's still got some growing to do, so a lot is still guesswork, I know.  Start making your list of schools and ranking them as reach, match, safety (schools he really has to drop a significant amount of time for, schools that he seems on track to be a good fit, schools where he's pretty much a good fit now).  You have to do a similar thing academically for each school.  Look at the academic aid available, costs (we ran net price calculators on every school in DD's top 25), and visit as many schools as possible.  They don't necessarily have to be schools he wants to attend -- but more types of colleges (HUGE D1 program in an urban setting, small liberal arts college in an out of the way setting, etc.) to help him gauge how he feels on certain types of campuses.  My daughter quickly realized the *hates* urban schools in Wilkes-Barre, PA (not exactly a booming metropolis), she just doesn't like campuses that are more integrated into a town or city.  So, we were able to eliminate schools based upon things like that.  She also hated U of AL -- as it was huge but spread out (she loved LU which is also a large campus and a large school, but everything felt more close).  Make sure colleges have the areas of interest he's looking for (many schools recruiting my oldest had 3+2 programs for engineering -- and no one could tell us how the scholarships would work, let alone the swimming -- we eventually just gave up on 3-2 programs).  For his situation with JUCO, make sure you look into how the admin will handle that (once you get down to 25ish schools through the other things).  Once we had our list of 25, DD filled out questionnaires, and emailed coaches a bunch of questions.  More than half have emailed back, one has essentially said, "don't bother" (a D2 school that wasn't high on DD's list anyway, but a school that had invited her to apply now for fall 2020, before the official application window even opened).  You can learn a lot about the coach and program from an email!  We also kept programs on her list because of the coaching.  These were schools DD didn't initially seek out, but having a profile at NCSA (even the free one) helps coaches find you.

Our next step in this process is to follow up with the schools she hasn't heard back from (with a -- "not sure if you received my email from XXXX date").  We hope to eliminate 10 schools from her final 25 this month.  She will also follow up with a few schools with additional questions and clarifications, a few have requested phone calls, and she will set those up for when we return stateside.  It's just easier when you aren't 6-9 hours ahead.

Hopefully, some of this will help.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2019 at 7:22 PM, linders said:

DS18 just accepted at UofSC yesterday and did housing and other paperwork today. Just now sent the "thanks but no thanks" emails to other colleges.

As that was happening, DS16 asked if I could order an SAT prep book - he wants to start studying for a fall date. After attending an all-day event at Duke a couple of weeks ago, he was inspired to start his college research and now has a substantial list.

Is a short break from this too much to ask?

Yup. LOL!

DD (#3) is going to be a senior and DD (#4) is going to be a junior.  I feel ya! 

But, OTOH, it's so great that he's feeling motivated and understand that planning and prep is useful!

(After them, only SEVEN more to go!) 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2019 at 7:01 AM, LisaK in VA said:

Hopefully, some of this will help.  

I apologize for being slow getting back. May and June have been a whirlwind. Thank you so much all you shared.

DS is wrapping up his school year this week; next week we are going to dig into NCAA. He did create a free profile and I found track and cross country times for various schools on www.tfrrs.org. He has a start of a list. It will be interesting to see how he starts shape it based on this new lens. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2019 at 9:16 PM, Arch at Home said:

I apologize for being slow getting back. May and June have been a whirlwind. Thank you so much all you shared.

DS is wrapping up his school year this week; next week we are going to dig into NCAA. He did create a free profile and I found track and cross country times for various schools on www.tfrrs.org. He has a start of a list. It will be interesting to see how he starts shape it based on this new lens. 

Great! We've been on a whirlwind as well...I keep having to take 3 hour trips every few days (Was in VA Beach Mon-Thurs a.m., drove to Fredericksburg, returned to VA Beach Friday night, now I'm getting ready to leave for NC for a couple of days.  That's been more or less my summer.  HOWEVER, when I get back from NC I'm staying put for a few weeks until we close on our house in Hampton and move in... then I get to stay put for a few weeks before going back to NC and life really getting nuts.

• Like 1