Menu

What's with the ads?

Patty Joanna

Western Governors University--online U

If you have experience with WGU, and would like to take a minute to write about it, I'm all ears.  It might be an option for our offspring.  

My father-in-law got his Master's degree from there. He was very pleased with his experience. He liked that he could go at his own pace and test out of stuff. Since he had already been working in the industry for many years (he was 60 at the time) he was able to go through the program quickly and finish in about a year, I think.

• Thanks 1

I know several friends IRL who have attended and been pleased with their experiences as a student. From the other side though, at least in education, principals do seem to qualify WGU as a less desirable degree than B&M training. All my friends found jobs, but none were in preferred districts or locations and this was during a recent time of teacher shortages. It was true even for open positions within their internship and student teaching schools (which is supposed to be an obvious path to employment). The WGU factor was well known and talked about as a handicap among school staff. I don't know if your dc are considering teaching or education as their degree, but if they are, I'd take this information into consideration.

• Thanks 1

I am currently a BSN nursing student at WGU. The prelicensure program is a ridiculously competitive in Southern California; less so in other states. The RN to BSN program is very popular. Our students have no problems finding jobs. I am happy to answer any questions about the nursing program.

• Thanks 1

I did a year there.  I loved it, but I was in the teaching program and I had several friends who are principals nicely let me know I’d be passed over in favor of candidates from more traditional programs.  However I know people who have done their BSN and IT degrees and didn’t have a problem.

I do think the university is geared for adults with experience in their field and who are good at self control and can study completely on their own.

• Thanks 1

It has a good reputation for nursing degrees.  It's on my short list for RN to BSN.

• Thanks 1

My husband is almost done with his masters from there. He has been very pleased. He also likes that many classes lead to industry certifications, so they feel meaningful/useful. 

• Thanks 1

If you are looking for reputable online universities, also check out FHSU (a B&M university in a rural area with an extensive online program). Have no experience with WGU but wanted to add to potential online options.

• Thanks 1