Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
happysmileylady

I don't wanna camp JAWM

Recommended Posts

Today is Wednesday.  Approx. 48 hours from now, I will be driving my 8yr old and 10yr old down to GS camp, and staying in the cabin with my 8yr old.

I don't want to go.  I don't enjoy camping.  I love GS, I love the experiences I had, I didn't even hate the camps I went to.  But, those camps gave me enough experience to know that...I don't want to do it again.  I just don't find it enjoyable.

In addition, we are in a "lodge" this means all of the troop in a single building.  And, for reasons I can't understand, most of the girls in DD8's troop have moms going.  If DD8 was capable I would not be going, but because of her special needs, she cannot attend without me and I won't keep her home just because I don't like it.  So, even with adults sleeping separate-ish from the kids (IE the next room, open wide doorway) that means I am sleeping on a cot in the same room as a bunch of other adults I don't know well.  This also makes me so uncomfortable.  

And then, we are sharing this "lodge" (because it's the biggest building on the campsite) with like 2 OTHER troops.  So not only are there multiple adults there I don't know well........there are multiple adults that I don't know at all.  And all of us trying to manage a large number of girls 9 and under, in our PJs.  At camp with bugs and fire pits and all the other outdoorsy crap I don't enjoy.

AND THEN.......guess what made an appearance today.....yeah, the visitor that everyone hates.  So now, I have to camp, which I hate, with a bunch of people I don't know well, while dealing with that female visitor.  

Please just tell me it won't be as bad as I think.  Please tell me to suck it up and deal.  Please tell me that I am the most amazing super mom ever to do this for my kid.  Please tell me all that and more.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate camping. So don't think about the camping to come -- think about some reward you can give yourself after. Maybe a bubble bath and a glass of wine or your favorite non-alcoholic beverage? A trip to the bookstore by yourself and a coffee? Or maybe we are talking the level of a mini vacation afterward, lol.  But focus on something good will come after, because no matter what it WILL suck, but time moves the same speed when things are awful as when they are great, so just count down the minutes until you are home again! 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Today is Wednesday.  Approx. 48 hours from now, I will be driving my 8yr old and 10yr old down to GS camp, and staying in the cabin with my 8yr old.

I don't want to go.  I don't enjoy camping.  I love GS, I love the experiences I had, I didn't even hate the camps I went to.  But, those camps gave me enough experience to know that...I don't want to do it again.  I just don't find it enjoyable.

In addition, we are in a "lodge" this means all of the troop in a single building.  And, for reasons I can't understand, most of the girls in DD8's troop have moms going.  If DD8 was capable I would not be going, but because of her special needs, she cannot attend without me and I won't keep her home just because I don't like it.  So, even with adults sleeping separate-ish from the kids (IE the next room, open wide doorway) that means I am sleeping on a cot in the same room as a bunch of other adults I don't know well.  This also makes me so uncomfortable.  

And then, we are sharing this "lodge" (because it's the biggest building on the campsite) with like 2 OTHER troops.  So not only are there multiple adults there I don't know well........there are multiple adults that I don't know at all.  And all of us trying to manage a large number of girls 9 and under, in our PJs.  At camp with bugs and fire pits and all the other outdoorsy crap I don't enjoy.

AND THEN.......guess what made an appearance today.....yeah, the visitor that everyone hates.  So now, I have to camp, which I hate, with a bunch of people I don't know well, while dealing with that female visitor.  

Please just tell me it won't be as bad as I think.  Please tell me to suck it up and deal.  Please tell me that I am the most amazing super mom ever to do this for my kid.  Please tell me all that and more.  

 

 

You're going to do it for your kid. Plaster a smile on your face and don't let her know what a chore it is for her. And pray that one day she's capable of going on her own.

 

I don't like camping either. But I do it for my kids because they enjoy it and neither one is ready to go on their own yet.  (he is old enough but not mature enough and we don't have a leader we trust yet)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are awesome to do this for your kid.

Lodge/cabin tips I have done or seen done:

1.  Buy a case of bottled coffee and stash it under your bunk.  (Pick a bottom bunk.  Cannot stress the importance of this enough.)

2.  Super plus AND night pads together saved many a hike for me.  

3.  You can get some privacy in your (lower) bunk by hanging a blanket or sheet down from the upper bunk around it.  

4.  Earplugs screen out snoring pretty well.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh that sucks on multiple levels.  Sympathy from me and I hope it goes better than you’re thinking it will 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, SanDiegoMom in VA said:

I hate camping. So don't think about the camping to come -- think about some reward you can give yourself after. Maybe a bubble bath and a glass of wine or your favorite non-alcoholic beverage? A trip to the bookstore by yourself and a coffee? Or maybe we are talking the level of a mini vacation afterward, lol.  But focus on something good will come after, because no matter what it WILL suck, but time moves the same speed when things are awful as when they are great, so just count down the minutes until you are home again! 

 

You know what....maybe I will bring my big camera.  I am not in charge of this thing, I am not even specifically there as a volunteer with DD8's troop.  I am not there to manage any activities or anything like that, I am only there to be the extra support that DD8 needs.  And I can do that and manage a big camera at the same time.  It would be a great chance to get some good spring pics generally speaking, plus some good GS pics overall.  And....that's for me.  We get back on Sunday, and I will really need to prep for school once we get back.  DH is currently out of the country for work and won't be back until Saturday, and he will be picking up DS6 from Indy on Sunday so he won't be up for anything that will allow "me time" for me.  So not much time/space for a reward.  But............photography while there might give me a good distraction.  

31 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

You are awesome to do this for your kid.

Lodge/cabin tips I have done or seen done:

1.  Buy a case of bottled coffee and stash it under your bunk.  (Pick a bottom bunk.  Cannot stress the importance of this enough.)

2.  Super plus AND night pads together saved many a hike for me.  

3.  You can get some privacy in your (lower) bunk by hanging a blanket or sheet down from the upper bunk around it.  

4.  Earplugs screen out snoring pretty well.

No earplugs...need to be able to hear DD8.  I actually don't *expect* problems, but, just in case, ya know.  

Bringing my chocolate tea would be good.  I don't drink coffee, but if I can just get some boiling water and a good mug...chocolate tea in the morning would be great.

Good advice on the pads.....I am 90% sure that we have flush toilets in the lodge so that's helpful.  Maybe my own little bags to trash separately?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love to camp, but if you don't and you're doing this just for your DD, that is amazing! How very sweet of you to do that for her! I agree with PP - give yourself a nice reward afterward.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol -- and when I read your thread title, I assumed you were backpacking in, and tent camping -- which means eating dehydrated food in foil pouches that you cook by dunking in hot water that takes forever to heat up over a tiny backpacker stove, having to bring in your own water (heavy!!), sleeping with only a thin foam pad between you and the hard ground and in a tent that may or may not leak if it rains, and no facilities (so pooping in the woods and no showers).

So, in comparison, having your meals made for you, sleeping in a bed/cot in a cabin with flush toilets and showers, and not having to be in charge of anything for 2 days so your DD can enjoy her camp experience doesn't sound like it will be too hard for sucking it up. ;)

It's all in how you look at it. (:D Hope you get some nice photos and great memories made with your DD from your trip to the woods! Warmest regards, Lori D.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

lol -- and when I read your thread title, I assumed you were backpacking in, and tent camping -- which means eating dehydrated food in foil pouches that you cook by dunking in hot water that takes forever to heat up over a tiny backpacker stove, having to bring in your own water (heavy!!), sleeping with only a thin foam pad between you and the hard ground and in a tent that may or may not leak if it rains, and no facilities (so pooping in the woods and no showers).

So, in comparison, having your meals made for you, sleeping in a bed/cot in a cabin with flush toilets and showers, and not having to be in charge of anything for 2 days so your DD can enjoy her camp experience doesn't sound like it will be too hard for sucking it up. 😉

It's all in how you look at it. (:D Hope you get some nice photos and great memories made with your DD from your trip to the woods! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Lol.

Yes, it's all relative.

 

ALTHOUGH....I will be honest....

Eating dehydrated food that I cook by dunking in hot water over a backpaker stove, sleeping on a thin pad on the ground *might* be preferable....if it means I have my own tent.   To be honest, I would probably prefer a leaky tent to a lodge with a bunch of adults that I don't know/barely know.  I mean, generally, I am a people person.....but once it's jammie time, I am a privacy person.  

 

AND....no one is taking showers, lest we have to clean out the separate shower house.

DD10 gets to poop in the latrines, she's not so close to the flush toilets lol.  Not quite the woods, but close enough for me!  

Edited by happysmileylady
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I could access an archived article to share.  My mom actually published an article about a camping experience we had when I was a Junior and she was a troop leader.  It involved a spider about 6 inches wide, a tree (full sized, actual tree, not just a branch) falling as we were hiking, barely missing the leader at the end of our group, raccoons eating food under bunks in the tents in the middle of the night...food that campers were told NOT to bring, a sleep walking camper, lightning and thunderstorms, and a tornado warning that, back when I was 11 we were unable to receive because no cell phones, rural location etc.  The article appeared in the local paper and received several "holy crap!" comments lol.  

 

So, ok...........I might be scarred.  

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, happysmileylady said:

...  I mean, generally, I am a people person.....but once it's jammie time, I am a privacy person.  
...AND....no one is taking showers, lest we have to clean out the separate shower house...


Wear loose shorts and a baggie t-shirt, so it feels more like clothes than intimate pjs, yet is comfy for sleeping. And I love the suggestion up-thread of bringing sheets to hang around your bottom bunk to give yourself privacy. Go to bed early so you don't have to socialize, pull your privacy "curtains" closed, and use a battery bed-lamp to read, or read from your kindle (or other), or watch a movie on your phone or tablet that you downloaded in advance. You can have "me" time even when there are others in the bunk house.  BEST of luck!

PS
re: showers -- Take a washcloth bath each night before bed -- wet it, wring it out, scrub, rinse, repeat, until your face/neck, arms/legs, and upper body have all been scrubbed. You can do it without undressing! SO refreshing, and it really helps you relax and sleep when you don't feel sticky.

Good luck! Hope you can just enjoy the beauty of your location. Warmest regards, Lori D.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I wish I could access an archived article to share.  My mom actually published an article about a camping experience we had when I was a Junior and she was a troop leader.  It involved a spider about 6 inches wide, a tree (full sized, actual tree, not just a branch) falling as we were hiking, barely missing the leader at the end of our group, raccoons eating food under bunks in the tents in the middle of the night...food that campers were told NOT to bring, a sleep walking camper, lightning and thunderstorms, and a tornado warning that, back when I was 11 we were unable to receive because no cell phones, rural location etc.  The article appeared in the local paper and received several "holy crap!" comments lol.  

So, ok...........I might be scarred.  


They took the "hit" of all the bad stuff in one trip FOR you, so YOU will have a lovely trip! (:D

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dread most things before they happen, lol.

Sometimes I end up enjoying them, sometimes I don't.

Definitely reward yourself for this one! Sleeping in a room with multiple other unknown women was fine for me when I was young and backpacking around Europe, but not my idea of a fun time anymore. The worst that can happen is that you don't sleep much, and have to drag yourself through the days tired. Which sucks, but yeah, just keep thinking 'this time next week it will all be over' (why yes, I do treat some excursions like they are trips to the dentist, lol)

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are an amazing mom who's making a wonderful sacrifice for the sake of your DD.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Today is Wednesday.  Approx. 48 hours from now, I will be driving my 8yr old and 10yr old down to GS camp, and staying in the cabin with my 8yr old.

I don't want to go.  I don't enjoy camping.  I love GS, I love the experiences I had, I didn't even hate the camps I went to.  But, those camps gave me enough experience to know that...I don't want to do it again.  I just don't find it enjoyable.

In addition, we are in a "lodge" this means all of the troop in a single building.  And, for reasons I can't understand, most of the girls in DD8's troop have moms going.  If DD8 was capable I would not be going, but because of her special needs, she cannot attend without me and I won't keep her home just because I don't like it.  So, even with adults sleeping separate-ish from the kids (IE the next room, open wide doorway) that means I am sleeping on a cot in the same room as a bunch of other adults I don't know well.  This also makes me so uncomfortable.  

And then, we are sharing this "lodge" (because it's the biggest building on the campsite) with like 2 OTHER troops.  So not only are there multiple adults there I don't know well........there are multiple adults that I don't know at all.  And all of us trying to manage a large number of girls 9 and under, in our PJs.  At camp with bugs and fire pits and all the other outdoorsy crap I don't enjoy.

AND THEN.......guess what made an appearance today.....yeah, the visitor that everyone hates.  So now, I have to camp, which I hate, with a bunch of people I don't know well, while dealing with that female visitor.  

Please just tell me it won't be as bad as I think.  Please tell me to suck it up and deal.  Please tell me that I am the most amazing super mom ever to do this for my kid.  Please tell me all that and more.  

 

 

See, this is part of why I can honestly say the Navy helped prepare me for parenthood. Sleeping in a room with a bunch of people I don't know well doesn't phase me. And wrangling 9 yo girls is much easier than wrangling junior sailors. I totally get doing things that aren't your cup of tea so that the kids will have fun. (A GS Council Tea Party I attended with DD comes to mind).

Your DD won't remember that you hated every minute of it. She will remember that you were there. And that's important. Good for you!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that does sound pretty horrible. Your dd is lucky to have such a great mom!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are a better mom than I am.  I would just tell my kids they had to wait to go camping until they were old enough to do it without me.  Because....no.  I despise camping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're a good mama! One day your dd will look back and appreciate the lengths you went to to help her overcome her physical limits.

I hope it's better than you expect!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you everyone.  I'm gonna handle it.  Tomorrow I need to hit Walmart for the last minute supplies we don't have like bug spray, sunscreen, extra socks, etc.   Friday, I have to drop DS6 off with my mom, then make sure we are all packed up, then leave by 5.  Meeting one troop at 6pm, the other at 7pm.  And, we will be back by Sunday afternoon.  It could always be worse, it could be a whole week lol.

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Terabith said:

You are a better mom than I am.  I would just tell my kids they had to wait to go camping until they were old enough to do it without me.  Because....no.  I despise camping.

 

Same.  I keep saying I am going to take the kids camping.  I have a teen and I haven't.   I like to be out in nature during the day and bed at night.   Oh and I get the not wanting to be around a bunch of people too.  I like to socialize but I need my downtime without people at night too. 

You are an awesome mom for doing this.  I would be bringing lots of chocolate for me and baby wipes for a makeshift shower.   

Thank goodness it is only a few nights. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's almost Mother's Day. Go to a store, buy yourself a novelty World's Best Mom mug, because you really are.

And then go out there and act your little heart out! You can do it! I believe in you!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are my hero🦸‍♀️ My idea of camping is a Holiday Inn Express🤣 Your daughter is blessed to have you as a Mom🌺

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, just a small "update..."  

OMG, I have spent TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS just for 2 days of camping.  And I am not really finished yet.

Why do you ask?

Well first, I have 2 girls going, plus myself.  I didn't really need much for myself, but did need stuff for the girls.

Second, the biggest expense was sleeping bags.  All 3 of my kids have sleeping bags, but they are old and worn out.  All of the zippers are broke, they are thread bare in some spots, and most of the stuffing is all bunchy all over.  And, although DS6 didn't NEED a new bag because he wasn't camping, his bag is still falling apart just like the girls, and it's not really fair to order them new bags and not him.  I mean I could have but he was going to need a new one soon anyway.  SO, I ordered 3 new sleeping bags and that was like $75 of the $250.  

And then, just all the little stuff adds up.  Bug spray, non aerosol, times 2.  Sunscreen, non aeorsol spray or a lotion, times 2. Sturdy waterbottles times 3-we just use cups at home lol.  New hair brushes for each of the girls because well, they needed them anyway.  Travel toothpaste, times 3.  Etc etc etc etc.  

We still don't have hiking boots for any of us, we don't hike lol.  I also don't have rain boots for anyone....we don't generally go out in the rain long enough to need them.  I was going to get some at Walmart, they were totally out.  I should have ordered them online when I ordered the sleeping bags.  Walmart also had no hiking boots for kids, and the Payless next door had a couple but not in my girls sizes.  I am not sure what to do about that, I really don't want to pay another $30 or $40 per kid for hiking boots/shoes that they will wear exactly once.  If that since its supposed to rain all day tomorrow.  *sigh*

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, breathe. B R E A T H E.

It looks like many of your expenses were things that you would've bought soon anyway, and the water bottles can be used when you go the park or beach or whatever. (Though, pro tip for the future: get reusable travel containers and decant your big lotion, sunscreen, etc. into them next time around. A lot cheaper than buying individual travel lotions and so on for everybody.)

Sturdy hiking boots that have been worn exactly once are something you can definitely resell on ebay or at a yard sale later. It's an expense, but you can recoup the cost. (And if they're not used because it rains, you can return them.) Or you could start walking around more - hiking boots can be worn to lots of places, not just "hiking". My kids used to live in hiking boots all winter because they were better for the sort of walking they did than regular winter boots were, and we don't go hiking either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wondering if it would be better to wear tennis shoes to the camp.

I wore my hiking boots to camp for the first time -- andgot HUGE blisters that made it hard to walk at all!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are a really good mom, because I would absolutely bail on this adventure, lol.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck! Try to remember that it's for her and she'll have great memories. I have to camp with my 2 older girls the first week of June. We do tents though. I absolutely hate camping but I know that my girls will have a great time. I'll be positive for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2019 at 5:00 PM, Lori D. said:


Wear loose shorts and a baggie t-shirt, so it feels more like clothes than intimate pjs, yet is comfy for sleeping. And I love the suggestion up-thread of bringing sheets to hang around your bottom bunk to give yourself privacy. Go to bed early so you don't have to socialize, pull your privacy "curtains" closed, and use a battery bed-lamp to read, or read from your kindle (or other), or watch a movie on your phone or tablet that you downloaded in advance. You can have "me" time even when there are others in the bunk house.  BEST of luck!

PS
re: showers -- Take a washcloth bath each night before bed -- wet it, wring it out, scrub, rinse, repeat, until your face/neck, arms/legs, and upper body have all been scrubbed. You can do it without undressing! SO refreshing, and it really helps you relax and sleep when you don't feel sticky.

Good luck! Hope you can just enjoy the beauty of your location. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Yes, regular clothes to sleep in, either sweats or t-shirt, etc. 

As for cleaning my tip is to bring baby wipes. If it is hot out put them in a cooler if you can. A cold baby wipe feels heavenly in the heat. And only a few bucks per package. 

8 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

I'm wondering if it would be better to wear tennis shoes to the camp.

I wore my hiking boots to camp for the first time -- andgot HUGE blisters that made it hard to walk at all!

YES!!! There is NO need for hiking shoes. Get them an extra pair of tennis shoes instead, nothing fancy, a cheap pair that can get dirty. That way if they get one pair soaked they have a dry pair to wear. Still costs money, but they can reuse them. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are hiking boots required?  I don't even use hiking boots when backpacking and certainly not for regular hiking.  I don't need the extra support, don't mind if my feet get wet for day hikes, and find the weight of most hiking boots to do more harm than good (for me).    I am assuming 8yo girl scouts are not going to be hiking far.  Regular sneakers should be fine.  Pack an extra pair and extra socks and you should be fine.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Home!

 

Could have been better, could have been worse, thinking I will most likely set DD8 up with DD10's troop next year, if everyone's agreeable.  There were things going on with leaders, parents, and girls that I just don't think makes this troop a good fit for us.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yay, you survived! Maybe it was good that you got an up close view of how the troop functions (or doesn't function), so you can make the choice to move your dd to a different troop.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...