Menu

What's with the ads?

Shelly in VA

College name change - how to denote that

The college that conferred my degree has changed its name since then. If I am signing a Letter of Recommendation with my degree and college name noted, do I use the university name that is on my degree, the current name, or the old name with a note about the new name?

Just when I think I'm done with college search tasks for the year. Haha!

Thanks! 

I am in that situation with my undergraduate degree--It depends on the scenario what I do.  At first I used the original name.  Then I started using "New Name (formerly Old Name)"  Now that the name change has been in place for a long time I usually use New Name as that is what most people know the school by.  I use that in general conversations and communication.  As an academic, whenever I have to feel out official forms for academic records I do denote "New Name (formerly Old Name)" just in case there is ever a question of matching my records with actual degree attainment.

My undergraduate degree is from a school with a very long name but also has a shorter, informal name. On my resume I use long name/informal name.

The majority of places I've interviewed with talked using the informal name, but I noticed that LinkedIn uses the long name.

Go figure.

I use the current name because LinkedIn won't let me use any of the former names.  Alumni use the town name. 

I have seen on resumes the term 'fka', formerly known as, used.  So for example an person might use Princeton fka College of New Jersey

there is also 'nka', now known as.  College of New Jersey, nka Princeton.

Edited by HeighHo
  • Like 1

One of the universities I attended changed its name at a time when I was completing job applications...  I ended up ordering all new transcripts (education job so they required them) and using the 'new' name on everything--- I thought about doing f.k.a. but just using one name looked more professional.

My dd will have that dilemma.  I think if it were me, I'd generally just list the new name.  But, under certain situations if I felt for some reason it would be helpful, I'd use the New Name (formerly known as XXX) format.

normally I would use New Name University (formerly OldName).

However, since you are specifically talking about an event in the past, I would turn it around and say "BS from Old Name Uni (now New Name)"

Edited by regentrude

There seems to be a lot of this lately. I think the nature of the change would make a difference here, too. We had a local private go from Name College to Name University when they expanded their graduate offerings and grew significantly. In that case, it wouldn't matter so much.

We also had another local private college and a public uni do a full-on name change. That would probably require the "Old Name" (now New Name).

I clicked on this, as our local school has changed names THREE TIMES in the last 5 years! We use the new name as that is what databases have. It really is ridiculous!

This happened to my undergraduate school. They issued new degrees to everyone, so I use the new name.