Menu

Short Trig intro?

We are finishing up Algebra II for the year and will be done a little early.  I'll have 3 weeks leftover and would like to spend it on a short, low pressure, intro to trigonometry.  Any ideas on what we could use that is cheap or free?  Fun would be nice too.  Dd will likely be taking DE Pre-Calc next spring after a semester break from math so I would prefer she not go in 100% cold.  We used Forester for Algebra II and there are trig chapters but I am struggling to filter out an appropriate 3 week intro from that.  And dd does not really like the book, after 3 years of AoPS, so it will be a hard sell.

2 hours ago, skimomma said:

And dd does not really like the book, after 3 years of AoPS, so it will be a hard sell.

AoPS Precalculus textbook chapter 1 to 7. While not free, books are portable and easy to review from, and she gets to stay with AoPS which she likes. 

https://s3.amazonaws.com/aops-cdn.artofproblemsolving.com/products/precalculus/toc.pdf

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

AoPS Precalculus textbook chapter 1 to 7. While not free, books are portable and easy to review from, and she gets to stay with AoPS which she likes. 

https://s3.amazonaws.com/aops-cdn.artofproblemsolving.com/products/precalculus/toc.pdf

I did look into that option but I feel like it will be more in-depth than we are looking for and difficult to chisel out an over-arching introduction.  The reason we left AoPS is dd was spending WAY more time than she had available on math each day.  She enjoyed the approach but is really not the target audience for AoPS and that became very obvious once she got past the Intro series.  If only we had unlimited time.....

19 hours ago, katilac said:

Take the three weeks off now. Do 3 weeks math review before spring semester. 

That would be ideal.  But she will not be at a boarding school (long story) right up until DE spring semester starts when she gets back home.

5 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Chapter 18 of AoPS geometry book. It’s an easy chapter since it’s just basic, very basic intro to trig. 

I did not even think of that,  We covered it last year but another pass though it might be the ticket.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, square_25 said:

I'm a huge fan of getting used to a concept on a hands on level before moving on, and the definition of the trig functions using the unit circle is about as hands on as you can get. 

Me too!