Menu

What would you do - standardised testing scenario?

Ausmumof3

Ok we just had an email from our Ed department letting us know that the standardised testing is no longer opt in for homeschoolers but opt out for philosophical or religious reasons.

i don’t actually have a major philosophical objection to standardised testing.  I haven’t chosen to do this particular one before because it takes place in a school and I think will probably make my kids anxious due to the unfamiliar environment.  I’d we could do it online from home it would be ok.

my biggest issue though is they have announced the change TWO weeks prior to the test.  Given that the schools spend literally quarter of a year prepping for these tests it seems unfair.

anyway trying to figure how I’m going to handle it.  I guess I have two options - come up with a philosophical objection or just put the kids in and hope for the best.

its come at a bad time as we are meant to be heading away and im trying to get organised for that and wrap up school neatly before we go so we have a good point to pick up from when we come home. And this is likely to be two to three days of disruption even if we don’t do any prep.

7 minutes ago, Mergath said:

Is there any repercussion if your kids take the test and don't do well? 

Not officially.  But they will be upset, and to be honest I would probably have a freak out even though I know better.  We do have access to other standardised online testing at home free and the kids have done ok in it.  Actually dd came in the top percentile for science and I’d been thinking of keeping her back a year in math but she still scored in the top 40 percent so I didn’t.  It’s less that I don’t think they’ll do well and more that I want to have as little to do with our local primary school as possibly and I think it’s a kind of stressful situation to chuck a ten year old in.  As they move into high school it will become a part of things but at this age it seems like unnecessary stress.  At least if we were going to do it I would have appreciated more than two weeks notice.

Are you positive the change is for this year, not being implemented for next year's test? That seems like ridiculously short notice. 

If it were me, I'd probably claim an objection this year just in protest, unless that would raise questions later when I decided to go ahead and participate.

If it would be problematic to do that, I'd explain to the kids that they need to do it this time, and that this year is a "practice test" so that they're ready for next year when they have to do it. If you frame it as a practice test, for them & for you, that should alleviate the anxiety and the feeling of needing to prep, do well, etc. Then next year, when you have to comply again, they'll have already done it and be more comfortable. 

If possible, maybe ask the school if you can bring the kids up to see a classroom, meet with whoever would be administering the test & hear about the procedures, etc. Either for this year, or next since your time is limited for this one. 

• Like 1

Is this the state Ed department or in your county?  If you didn’t have to do it in the past and the law hasn’t changed, they are overstepping.  I know not everyone likes HSLDA, but if they are requiring something that is not required by state law, they will step in and help.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Ok we just had an email from our Ed department letting us know that the standardised testing is no longer opt in for homeschoolers but opt out for philosophical or religious reasons.

i don’t actually have a major philosophical objection to standardised testing.  I haven’t chosen to do this particular one before because it takes place in a school and I think will probably make my kids anxious due to the unfamiliar environment.  I’d we could do it online from home it would be ok.

my biggest issue though is they have announced the change TWO weeks prior to the test.  Given that the schools spend literally quarter of a year prepping for these tests it seems unfair.

anyway trying to figure how I’m going to handle it.  I guess I have two options - come up with a philosophical objection or just put the kids in and hope for the best.

its come at a bad time as we are meant to be heading away and im trying to get organised for that and wrap up school neatly before we go so we have a good point to pick up from when we come home. And this is likely to be two to three days of disruption even if we don’t do any prep.

I'll be honest - we've never, ever prepped or taught to the test and my kids score high.  I'm not even an amazing, super fantastic, spectacular, homeschool superstar. :P

Are you sure it is to take effect THIS year? I'd doublecheck that.
I think you have a philosophical objection.  Essentially it is your philosophy that homeschool students do not have a basic need to adhere to ridiculous standardized testing. 😉 

• Like 4

My philosophical objection would be that my kids have to do the testing in the school which they don’t want to step foot in. My more polite excuse is that I am against standardized testing for young kids.

My DS14 did standardized testing as he was in public charter school but he did the test at a church in 2nd & 3rd grade and at an office building in 4th grade. We made fun days out of the two testing days (one day each for English and Math) and the teachers brought some cookies for the kids. 

• Like 1

I would probably just do it.  Be clear with yourself and your kids that it isn’t a big deal, and use it as a practice for future testing in unfamiliar locations. 

I’s not try to study for the test as to content, but if there’s a practice available, maybe have them take it to be familiar with test format

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, athena1277 said:

Is this the state Ed department or in your county?  If you didn’t have to do it in the past and the law hasn’t changed, they are overstepping.  I know not everyone likes HSLDA, but if they are requiring something that is not required by state law, they will step in and help.

I’m in Aus and it’s the state.  The main homeschool organisation here had some kind of fallout and is in chaos (I’m not really super involved so have no idea why).  I suspect if they were functional they’d be objecting.  The home Ed department have been super friendly and helpful over the years but I have some concerns that there is a bit of a shift happening and this is just part of it.  I only have gut feel to go off.

7 hours ago, TheReader said:

Are you positive the change is for this year, not being implemented for next year's test? That seems like ridiculously short notice. 

If it were me, I'd probably claim an objection this year just in protest, unless that would raise questions later when I decided to go ahead and participate.

If it would be problematic to do that, I'd explain to the kids that they need to do it this time, and that this year is a "practice test" so that they're ready for next year when they have to do it. If you frame it as a practice test, for them & for you, that should alleviate the anxiety and the feeling of needing to prep, do well, etc. Then next year, when you have to comply again, they'll have already done it and be more comfortable. 

If possible, maybe ask the school if you can bring the kids up to see a classroom, meet with whoever would be administering the test & hear about the procedures, etc. Either for this year, or next since your time is limited for this one. 

Yeah I’m thinking that.  Although it’s actually only a thing that happens in 3,5,7 and 9 so it will only affect youngest.

honestly if I could do it at home online I’d do it without a worry.  I just hate having to do it in a school environment.

Do you have to use their test or could you use your own testing mechanism?  Our state allow you to choose any normed standardized test in any format.  

I also think it's bizarre to give you a 2 week notice. I might just call them on that, say you're not prepared at this time to do that.  That doesn't seem reasonable.  

If you have to throw your kids in, you can just ignore/throw away the results without doing anything about them if you don't think the info is useful.  We had to test from age 6 on and we used an oral test and sometimes my kids did great and sometimes there were sections where I knew they just weren't into it that day.  The year we tested in June right before summer vacation was quite the disaster.  LOL.

• Like 1

I think it's okay to have a philosophical objection specifically to having kids take a test very abruptly like that. That's really not okay in my mind at all to tell families that they suddenly have to test in MAY. Like, come on.

Next year, knowing that this is the policy, you can choose to not have a philosophical objection to giving your kids lead time to mentally prepare for testing and yourself room to spend a few days preparing them for this experience. Or, you may decide you have a philosophical objection to the tests in general at that point. But this year, I say no way. That's just a crazy policy to announce at this point in the year.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, LMD said:

I would not do it. My philosophical objection would be 'Does not jump to the unreasonable whims of the department'

2 weeks notice? No, my time is valuable, how utterly disrespectful.

Thank you.

I have spoken to the school to get times etc but will still possibly fill out the exemption.   Thing is - I actually wouldn’t mind my kids doing it I just really don’t want them sitting it at a school they’ve never been to before.  I’d quite like the overview particularly for oldest before we move to highschool years so I can find any gaps that need plugging now.  So I’m feeling kind of conflicted.

on the other side I feel like if we just all bend over and do it it sets a precedent for the department that they can make whatever demands they like and we’ll all just quietly go along.    And there seems to be a gradual shift in the way they are handling things over the last 12 months which has some of us a little worried.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, StellaM said:

Yep, this. 

Also - I object philosophically because there is nothing positive attached to the test for homeschoolers. It's not like if, your kids stuff it up from anxiety or score abnormally low for any number of reasons, that the government is going to swoop in with extra resources for you, a homeschooling mum! If it's Naplan-like, they are thinking about getting rid anyway. These school based standardised tests in AU are designed to give information to the school about how a whole year is tracking - it's not meant to be diagnostic for individual kids. 

I would do it if your kids think it will be fun to go to a school and take a test. Two weeks is long enough to teach test-taking skills at your kids' ages. Take results with a grain of absolute salt. 

If neither they nor you have any interest, then opt out for philosophical reasons as above. 

(Also, ignore any pressure 'to get them used to tests' - my kids did zero standardized tests in primary - dd2 did Naplan in Yrs 7 & 9 no problem, minimal prep, results told us what we already knew, dd1 did none before the uni-entrance STAT's - again, minimal prep and no problem. I supervise these exams, and they are not difficult to take from a 'here's how to take a test' perspective. You can cover it in very little time).

It is NAPLAN.

I wouldn’t do it.

I especially wouldn’t do it with only 2 weeks notice

i disagree with schools doing NAPLAN as well. Seems like Most of the school time before the test is taken up on test prepping. I also disagree with grade 2 students spending the whole year learning persuasive writing in preparation to the grade 3 Test. I don’t think the average child of that age is thinking persuasively yet.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Thank you.

I have spoken to the school to get times etc but will still possibly fill out the exemption.   Thing is - I actually wouldn’t mind my kids doing it I just really don’t want them sitting it at a school they’ve never been to before.  I’d quite like the overview particularly for oldest before we move to highschool years so I can find any gaps that need plugging now.  So I’m feeling kind of conflicted.

on the other side I feel like if we just all bend over and do it it sets a precedent for the department that they can make whatever demands they like and we’ll all just quietly go along.    And there seems to be a gradual shift in the way they are handling things over the last 12 months which has some of us a little worried.

I do understand. My thinking would be a lot like your second paragraph. The thing is, yes the information might be helpful but there are other ways to assess that - ways that you are in control of making the decisions about. You don't have to let the department rush you or put you on the back foot about this. 

The language of the department ordaining that, within a fortnight, it is assumed that your child will be tested is what would immediately have me pushing back - but I'm a bit recalcitrant regarding education departments 😄

Fwiw, a friend and I decided to have our kids do some past naplan papers a couple of years ago. We both had grade 3s and I also had a grade 5. She is a teacher, was a fairly new homeschooler and wanted some reassurance so I forced mine to do it too in solidarity. Unlike in school, we just powered through and did all the tests in one sitting, we kept feeding the kids donuts 😂 They all did well. Now those same kids are in 8th & 6th and I have another 3rd grader. I'll probably have them enter the Australian mathematics competition again this year, and I'm thinking about buying some past ICAS papers just to do at home for our own general information.

Edited by LMD
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, LMD said:

I do understand. My thinking would be a lot like your second paragraph. The thing is, yes the information might be helpful but there are other ways to assess that - ways that you are in control of making the decisions about. You don't have to let the department rush you or put you on the back foot about this. 

The language of the department ordaining that, within a fortnight, it is assumed that your child will be tested is what would immediately have me pushing back - but I'm a bit recalcitrant regarding education departments 😄

Fwiw, a friend and I decided to have our kids do some past naplan papers a couple of years ago. We both had grade 3s and I also had a grade 5. She is a teacher, was a fairly new homeschooler and wanted some reassurance so I forced mine to do it too in solidarity. Unlike in school, we just powered through and did all the tests in one sitting, we kept feeding the kids donuts 😂 They all did well. Now those same kids are in 8th & 6th and I have another 3rd grader. I'll probably have them enter the Australian mathematics competition again this year, and I'm thinking about buying some past ICAS papers just to do at home for our own general information.

How do you do that?

id love the have access to the competitions because I actually really enjoyed them (sad I know) and I think my dd would as well.

I would just skip it this year, same as a school family would skip it if they had travel plans.  No way you should need to change your plans for some last minute thing the government came up with.

For the future, I would probably participate, assuming I was given the dates early enough.  See if you can get a small group setting for the test, and practice using the format so that doesn't detract from their experience.

The timing of my kids' standardized tests is always a surprise to us.  Not sure if that is a burden or a blessing.

I don't know if this applies everywhere or not but I've had to homeschool under philosophical objection to public school in many US states.

Anyways, that said, I've never had to list out what my philosophical objections to public school are when ever I've had to submit paper work. It is either a check box on a form or if I have to write it all out by hand, I write something like:

To whom it may concern:

My child, <child's name here>, is homeschooling for the 2019-2020 school year due to our family's philosophical beliefs. I assume fully responsibility for my child's educational needs and hold <school district> harmless within the limits of the law.

Sincerely,

<my name here>

And then I have it notarized even if it isn't required. I've never ever had any school district or official question or reject this kind of letter. They cannot (in the US at least, I'm not sure about Australia) ask you to prove your philosophical belief any more than they can ask you to prove your religious belief. I don't like giving school officials the idea that philosophical belief is open to interrogation and that you have to prove your belief is valid. Your philosophical belief should not be treated any differently than a religious belief.

If you have the option to opt out, I would. Mostly because it is silly to be asked to jump when the schools say jump. Two weeks notice is not sufficient notice for you to prepare your child for the test and it is just rude for them to even think it is. I would not even feel the need to explain myself.

If there is no form to fill out, I would just write a letter similar to the one above but I would change the body to read something like "My child, <child's name> has been legally homeschooled for the 2018-2019 school year according to the <your state> homeschool laws due to our family's philosophical beliefs. Furthermore, my child will not be participating in standardized testing for the 2018-2019 school year due to our family's philosophical beliefs." If the schools got fussy about it and tried to bring legal action on me (not just the school receptionist or principal telling me I have to give more reason) I would tell them I would be happy to comply when my child is in the next testing grade and has had the same opportunity as the public school students to prepare for the test. 

Just my 2 1/2 cents FWIW.

Of course this isn't legal advice, just my experience as a philosophical homeschooler.

• Like 1

I'm guessing the school district has figured out there are a lot of gifted kids being homeschooled in your area and forcing them to test will pull up the whole district's averages.

Unless this is a state law there is nothing they can do to enforce it.  You can probably ignore it with no repercussions whatsoever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katy said:

I'm guessing the school district has figured out there are a lot of gifted kids being homeschooled in your area and forcing them to test will pull up the whole district's averages.

Unless this is a state law there is nothing they can do to enforce it.  You can probably ignore it with no repercussions whatsoever.

Statewide but not state law as far as I know.

11 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

How do you do that?

id love the have access to the competitions because I actually really enjoyed them (sad I know) and I think my dd would as well.

We can do it through our state homeschool organisation (vic). I'm not sure what state you're in but I'd first ask your state group. Registrations close in June (paper) or July (online). You can also arrange to sit it at a nearby school. The Australian Mathematics Trust are who I would call second for help setting it up. Now I'm wondering if you can just sign up the same way I do because, it's Aus wide right? I might ask a couple of questions and get back to you!

https://www.amt.edu.au/australian-mathematics-competition

Also, there's this list of competitions:

http://www.aussieeducator.org.au/competitions/competitions.html

ICAS and REACH can be officially sat as homeschoolers, there's a bit of hoop jumping (for ICAS, homeschoolers aren't eligible for the medal prizes and for REACH you need to submit your registration and copy of birth certificate!) Getting in touch with UNSW is your best bet, their registration periods are usually June-july for REACH and slightly later for ICAS. I tend to just buy past papers and get my kids to do them at home for my own information- but that means they aren't officially graded/ranked by UNSW.

https://www.unswglobal.unsw.edu.au/educational-assessments/

You can download past naplan papers here:

https://www.acara.edu.au/assessment/past-naplan-papers/naplan-2012-2016-test-papers