Menu

Which online learning program?

Targhee

Ok, first I don’t like online learning programs. We tried some years ago, and I much prefer learning in a more organic, less controlled/tracked/screen-based way.  I don’t think they are horrrible, it’s just not my thing.  However, we might be joining a charter next year which requires 1 hour per week of using an online learning program as a means of attendance and tracking progress. Bleh. But 10-15 min a day is tolerable. I don’t need input on whether to join the charter, but if I do join I’d like to know which online learning program would be best for us. 

Options (these are th ONLY options the schools offers): Reading Eggspress/Math Seeds, Waterford Early Reading, Study Island, IXL, Exact Path

Preferences: for dd7 (will be 8 working at about 3rd grade level in math and reading), actually provides learning (not preparing for assessments/testing skills), maybe allows freedom of choosing what topic to work on, isn’t overly gamified 

Im familiar with the IXL of 10 years ago (which at the time was basically a math quiz bank).  My dd used Waterford last year at half day public K and hated it.  We did a free trial of Reading Eggs long ago but I don’t really know Reading Eggspress.  Any input welcome - thanks!

If you only need an hour of online learning, I’d say Reading eggs/express is your best bet. Express Ian just a huge library of books to reading and I believe questions they can answer about them. It will even read the books to your kids if I remember right. Reading eggs is a phonics program, and it’s fun. Either of these will be a good supplement. 

IXL is super brining in my opinion, but doesn’t serve a purpose for kids who need flash card practice with math facts. It should good for a busy family to use, If needed.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1