Menu

If you had to stop and see one thing along I-70

Farrar

EDIT: We're home from our trip to DI Globals. I just wanted to say thank you all for these great suggestions. We stopped at many of the suggested fast food places. We also stopped and ate at Schmidt's Sausage Haus in German Village and took a walk around there to stretch our legs. Perfect quick food and outing. On the way home, we went to the city museum in StL and it was AMAZING. I've never been anywhere like it. Hilariously, we ran into tons of Globals teams doing the same thing on their journeys home. We took a lovely, if slightly hot, walk around Cahokia Mounds as well. Anyway, a great trip. I'm exhausted!

ORIGINAL POST: From Kansas City to Baltimore, if you had to stop and see one thing along I-70, what and where? I'm driving three kids to Destination Imagination Global Finals to compete in a few weeks. We live in DC, so not something in Baltimore or Pennsylvania probably. Obviously, we'll see Kansas City, but suggestions of must see things there are welcome too. But on the way back, I'd love to stop and see... something? I've literally never done this drive. Seems we'll go through Wheeling, Columbus, Dayton, Indianapolis, St. Louis... Non city pretty places also very welcome as suggestions. Things less than half an hour detour preferred. We will probably go all the way to just outside St. Louis on the way there and then hopefully see the Gateway Arch in the morning before hightailing it across the state to get to Globals as early as possible (we will be on a time crunch for doing some things for the competition). On the way back though, I can be leisurely.

Edited by Farrar

See or tour?

Dayton has some fun stuff--The US Air Force Museum and Carillon Park are two. The park has a history museum as well as the actual Carillon. 

Hungry and restless? Young's Dairy is not far from I-70. Besides ice cream, it's a nice stop for a full meal (both sit down and fried stuff varieties), as well as an opportunity to burn a little pent up energy with mini golf, batting cages, etc.

I think there are antique malls near Springfield if that is your thing.

Other Ohioans might chime in with some things to do near Columbus or some more natural attractions in different parts of the state.

• Like 3

The City Museum and the basilica in St. Louis are absolutely gorgeous.  There's also an absolutely fabulously cool Dungeons and Dragons park in Carbondale, Illinois, but I'm not sure how far that is from I-70.  I would never have picked a basilica as a place to go, but my 8 year old said, "Thank you for taking me to the most beautiful place in the world."  It really is amazing, and there's definitely nowhere else like the City Museum.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Terabith said:

The City Museum and the basilica in St. Louis are absolutely gorgeous.  There's also an absolutely fabulously cool Dungeons and Dragons park in Carbondale, Illinois, but I'm not sure how far that is from I-70.  I would never have picked a basilica as a place to go, but my 8 year old said, "Thank you for taking me to the most beautiful place in the world."  It really is amazing, and there's definitely nowhere else like the City Museum.

It looks like Carbondale is a bit out of the way, but... this team's DI solution is entirely centered on D&D (for anyone who does DI as well, they obviously did Game On! and their game was D&D) so... I mean, if it's really good, it might be an imperative that we do it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OH_Homeschooler said:

If you're interested in a little bit of history and taking a walk, Cahokia Mounds is about 15 minutes outside of St. Louis.

Also in the same city of Collinsville is this.

OOH. One, ketchup. But two, I've always wanted to visit Cahokia. I didn't even think of that. Thank you! This might be our on the way back stop.

22 minutes ago, Farrar said:

OOH. One, ketchup. But two, I've always wanted to visit Cahokia. I didn't even think of that. Thank you! This might be our on the way back stop.

When I was planning a trip through there I was excited about the ketchup, but by the time the trip happened I totally forgot about it! Just saw Cahokia, which was cool. But I was kicking myself! Don't make the same mistake I did.Â đŸ˜ƒ

• Haha 1

I was going to say the bathrooms, lol. Indiana has the most bizarre rest stops on 70 going toward Indy with really funky tiles. 

Yeah, the AF museum in Dayton would be big, but all this is lots of time. Takes so much time to get around Columbus. You could probably go see the Buckeyes stadium at OSU, but I doubt that's mecca for most people outside of Ohio, hahaha. 

La Rosas has a pizza shop at exit (I forget, we were just there) in Dayton. It's just like 3 minutes off 70 and it's considered pretty doggone good pizza. It's good enough we always stop. They're stupid, stupid slow, so if that offends you just order boxes ahead and pick up when you get there. 

As you go beyond Indy you're getting into Lincoln territory, so you've got his burial site, some Frank Lloyd Wright houses, things like that. Can't imagine it interesting your crowd, but who knows. The Lincoln burial would be worth the excursion, yes. Or maybe that was farther north? Oh dear. Foo, it's farther north. You could go after your tournament.

The stuff directly in St. Louis sounds more compelling than anything quickly accessible from 70 in Ohio and Indiana. That's gonna be the most tedious drive known to mankind btw. And womankind. and cowkind. When I was a kid we would dive across Ohio and Indiana from VA to see my grandparents, and it was SO INTERMINABLE. Flat, boring. Now that was the northern part. Once you get to Columbus it will get pretty, with hills. But through Indiana and western Ohio?  You may die. I totally don't drive it but dump in on my dh every time. Make sure you take something to keep you awake, mercy. You couldn't pay me to drive that, lol.

• Like 2

Here's the La Rosas you want. It's at Englewood. https://www.google.com/maps/place/LaRosa's+Pizza+Englewood/@39.8156405,-84.409096,12z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sla+rosa+pizza+near+Dayton,+OH!3m4!1s0x0:0x442fb1262ef4fb2f!8m2!3d39.8571123!4d-84.3295527  I would go for hand-tossed and make sure you get something with meats as their meats are AWESOME. I also really like their BLT salad. 

• Like 1

There's a really cool glass museum at the junction of 70 and 77, but I doubt you're looking for that, lol. There's a vacuum cleaner museum north on 77, but that's only worth the extra effort if you're really into vacuums. Warther Carving is there too, which is actually worth the drive out of your way if it strikes you. It's 50 minutes out of your way, but it's really cool. They have Mrs. Warther's button art collection too.

Yes, this is seriously how hip we are in Ohio. Button collections, carving, vacuum cleaners, glass... LOL 

In Wheeling you can do Oglebay. It's really a thing there. You can spend the night there and at Christmas do lights. They have an animal petting area. So when we're not arranging buttons, we're petting our deer I guess.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

If you come across one, stop at a Friendly's for me. 

If she doesn't find Friendly's, she could go for Culvers. 

Score, there's one on each side of Columbus (east and west!), so she can definitely get her fix. Of course that sort of messes with the German idea, but maybe do one in and one out. Haha

• Like 3

If you get east of Columbus and DIDN'T eat German like you were forewarned or are hungry again, try https://www.lapalomarestaurantheath.com  It will be 15-20 minutes up from 70, but it's worth it. You can order ahead when you exit off 70 and your order will be ready when you get there. So, so good. Make sure you get the enchiladas (great sauce) and the sopapillas (what they're known for). 

Food is non-existent after Zanesville. We don't eat in Zanesville much because it's pretty boring. You can eat at Slate Run State Park, but it's just kinda normal, no need to go out of your way for that.C

There's a longhorn steer farm in eastern Ohio that some people like to tour. Oh, oh, I know what you want!!! And this is worth the effort. https://thewilds.columbuszoo.org  The Wilds is operated by the Columbus Zoo, but it's close off 70, easy to get to, and something you can do in just a couple hours. The C-bus zoo is a whole day thing. With the Wilds you ride a bus, see stuff, way cool. You can buy your tickets ahead, whatever, probably use reciprocity on zoo passes to get a discount. And for your engineering fans, the Big Muskie is near there, just in case you want to see a drag line crawler (I have no clue what I'm talking about). To engineers it's pretty woo, woo, something they've only seen in pictures.

• Like 1

Are there any caverns in that final stretch? In VA, just a little south, you'd have some serious stellar caverns. Nothing in Ohio is worth driving out of your way for as far as caverns, but farther east they might be. We always look for caverns whereever we go...

https://www.chesapeakefamily.com/fun/travel/8537-5-cool-caverns-to-visit  here's a list. You could see if any are close. Yeah the Luray Caverns are the ones I'm thinking of, but they're too far. Maybe something else.

Yup https://www.google.com/maps/place/Crystal+Grottoes+Caverns/@39.5123028,-77.7007505,11.18z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c9ef67c54150d7:0xd2ca469548dca757!8m2!3d39.4980788!4d-77.6768527  Crystal Grotto Caverns are just off 70, south of Hagerstown.  Maybe others will be too.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

Indianapolis Childrens Museum is fantastic, maybe a bit young for your boys, but it’s probably the best children’s museum in the country. 

I’ve heard great things about Young’s Dairy. There is a train hotel in Indy too. https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g37209-d88164-i74419558-Crowne_Plaza_Indianapolis_Downtown_Union_Station-Indianapolis_Indiana.html

I’ve always heard the air museum at Wright-Pat AFB is very neat but with you having access to both the Smithsonian Air and Space Museums I’m not sure if it would be worth it. 

I would definitely go up in the Arch if you get the chance.

• Like 1

On that itinerary, Cahokia would be my #1 priority stop.

People love COSI in Columbus. But Cahokia for me!

Haven't looked at a map--Serpent Mound might be too far off your itinerary. It's an amazing place, but the visitor's center isn't nearly as great as the mound itself. We also stopped at another Mound Builders site with a better visitor's center, but Serpent Mound is such a gorgeous and powerful place. If you add it as a secondary stop, you can read and watch videos before or after.

Clearly, I'm biased toward native sites. 

Amy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

If she doesn't find Friendly's, she could go for Culvers. 

Score, there's one on each side of Columbus (east and west!), so she can definitely get her fix. Of course that sort of messes with the German idea, but maybe do one in and one out. Haha

Seriously people?  Youngs' and several Graeter's are on her route and you are debating Friendly's versus Culvers?   If Farrar's crew really likes ice cream and has time for a detour in central Ohio, they could do a taste test of the three best Ohio brands -  loop up to Uttica for Velvet, back to Columbus for Graeter's and then on to Yellow Springs for Young's.   Assuming you don't want so much ice cream, my vote is Youngs'.   Get some cheese curds too.   Drive or walk through Yellow Springs.  It is unique in Ohio.

Other than Young's, my vote for a three hour or less stop is Cahoika.  If you like quirky and want to get off the highway for a while dip down to Casey, Illinois for the world's largest wind chime, mail box, rocking chair and more.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

You guys are awesome! These are great suggestions.

We do like ice cream. And cheese. And, I'm sure, German buffets. And food in a general sense. In fact, the bonus kid I'll have along for this tour of America is the kid we know who can eat the best.

I doubt anything military or sports related would interest these boys (or me, for that matter). They're really more fantasy, theater dorks.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Sherry in OH said:

Seriously people?  Youngs' and several Graeter's are on her route and you are debating Friendly's versus Culvers?  

I know, I know, I debated mentioning Graeters! But really, the ONLY flavor that is superb there is the blueberry pie. And that's like existentially good, a must-have in all forms (straight, milkshake, anything). But everything else, yeah only worth the calories if you work out a lot. But yes, it's good. I just don't know if there are any down by 70. There's one up on Bethel Rd but that would be way out of their way. They could get dessert at Schmidt's and not need ice cream. Nahh, Velvet isn't that good. Well it's fine but it would be a long drive from 70. We go often, but that would be a long drive from 70.

So is Young's good? I keep meaning to have us go camp over by Yellow Springs and I'm guessing that was the food place we were supposed to eat if we went. Somehow my dh chickens out and then it's just me, which means we're in the backyard.  

Oh look, there IS a Graeter's off 70!!! Well who knew!! https://www.google.com/maps/place/Graeter's+Ice+Cream/@39.9058984,-82.8247889,12.84z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sgraeters+ice+cream+columbus!3m4!1s0x0:0xcf72b1f3f0551bdb!8m2!3d39.9193313!4d-82.7825618  So you could eat German and then 20 minutes later eat Graeters, awesome. You'd be rolling in the car on a starch and sugar high, lol. 

Ok, now I'll tell you the truth. If you REALLY WON'T EAT THE GERMAN, then the next best thing, the like totally quintissential, you really oughta eat this, is Cane's. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Raising+Cane's+Chicken+Fingers/@39.9151915,-82.7864283,15.79z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sgraeters+ice+cream+columbus!3m4!1s0x88387b2985ab642d:0x2a4a3464c6518d02!8m2!3d39.9141143!4d-82.7803731  And there just HAPPENS to be one right up the road from the Graeter's off 70 on the east side of Columbus. I don't go down there much. I think I went that way to an herbalist in a lamp shop, if you can imagine. Yes, for real. Other than that, nope, lol. Anyways, Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers will be cheaper, super tasty and fast, and everyone will like it. The texas toast is pillowy and the dipping sauce for the fingers is unique. It's really a must do. And at $1.19 per chicken finger (they're really big!!) and $6-9 for a full meal, it's a deal. So eat Cane's and Graeter's and you'll be plump and loaded and feeling very Ohio-y. :biggrin:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Oh, places to eat....

If you come across one, stop at a Friendly's for me.  It's just a typical diner, much like a Denny's.  But they also serve ice cream and the Reeces Peanut Butter Cup sundae with French Vanilla ice cream is my favorite childhood dessert of all time ever.  When we were getting ready to move to Ohio, I was THRILLED that we would be close to a Friendly's again.  And then about 6 months before we moved, they closed every single Friendly's in Ohio.  *sigh*    You probably won't find one until you are in Maryland.  But if you can, stop at one for a sundae and think of me lol.  

Oh, I went to college in Massachusetts. I know Friendly's. 

• Like 1

I think that going up in the Arch is worth it, provided you don't have anyone claustrophobic or afraid of heights. When we did it there was a sample capsule to sit in at the base to see how comfortable you'd feel going up in one.

Since we've done the Arch, if I only had one thing to pick in St. Louis it would be the City Museum, but I've never been. I wanted to do both on our last time through but we had too many littles and didn't get up early enough.

• Like 5

If an ice cream stop is needed in Columbus, I'll have to put the shout out for Jenis in the North Market. More unique than Graeters, and downtown (especially the Short North and Arena District) is really cool and fun to wander about.

http://jenis.com/scoop-shops/jenis-north-market/

Columbus itself is super hip, it really is the midwest's hidden gem of a city. 

COSI is fun, but probably too young for your kids. The city has a ton of art and theatre and so forth, but that would require an overnight.

• Like 1

The US Air Force Museum in Dayton is free, if that plays in to your decision at all.  You can walk through several old Air Force One planes.  While obviously military it's also a lot of information on the history of flight.   

All the other things mentioned are great as well.  Columbus is a fun city, the City Museum in St. Louis is amazing and the Indianapolis Children's Museum is fun, but more for younger kids in my opinion.  Not sure what ages you have but my 12 year old mainly enjoys watching her youngest siblings have fun there now more than enjoying it herself.  Obviously this will be different with every 12 year old đŸ™‚

If the weather is good and you want something other than a museum experience, Young's is a cute stop.  Play put-put, eat delicious ice cream, pet a goat and watch them milk the cows. https://youngsdairy.com/hours-directions/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

City Museum in STL would be my personal vote. Cahokia is not far out of the way, and a lovely place for a picnic. 

This is hilarious. I turned down a trip to STL years ago because I said we should do Oregon and the coast instead. The coast was awesome, but now I'm thinking we should head to STL! My dd is going to be in Oklahoma this summer, and it seems like that oughta sorta be on the way, right? LOL

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

This is hilarious. I turned down a trip to STL years ago because I said we should do Oregon and the coast instead. The coast was awesome, but now I'm thinking we should head to STL! My dd is going to be in Oklahoma this summer, and it seems like that oughta sorta be on the way, right? LOL

You're in Ohio?

When we lived in Columbus and would visit the in laws in OK, we would drive to St Louis to stay the night, then on to Tulsa the following day. Because DS was little, we would stop at the zoo in Indianapolis on the way to STL, have lunch there, and he would nap the entire boring way to STL.  :) It was a great way to break up the drive, and kept the driving days reasonable. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PeterPan said:

If you like German, we have some kick butt german food right off 70 in German village in Columbus. https://www.schmidthaus.com  They have a buffet, so there's not a terrible wait. Parking is a little obnoxious, but it's SO worth the effort.

Our family's favorite when in Columbus. Must get a giant cream puff!! 

• Like 1

Funny things... we were just at the Oregon coast! We have family in Portland but they're all leaving so one of my boys and I took a trip.

Also, we have a Jeni's ice cream here! It's walking distance from my house. It's SO GOOD. This reminds me of how I knew several people who were in UK and everyone was like, let us take you to Nando's! And they were like, we live where the only Nando's in the US are, so that's okay. Lol.

I'm going to have to make a map of all these possibilities. Clearly we have plenty of Ohio and Missouri boardies.

• Like 1

I seventeenth the City Museum.  The most weird, wacky, cool, mindboggling thing I think I have ever seen and I have been to a lot of the world.  I don't know if we ever need to do it a second time but I am grateful we did it once.  It will appeal to (or amaze) everyone.  Take knee pads and if you have a caving headlight that too.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Farrar said:

Funny things... we were just at the Oregon coast! We have family in Portland but they're all leaving so one of my boys and I took a trip.

Also, we have a Jeni's ice cream here! It's walking distance from my house. It's SO GOOD. This reminds me of how I knew several people who were in UK and everyone was like, let us take you to Nando's! And they were like, we live where the only Nando's in the US are, so that's okay. Lol.

I'm going to have to make a map of all these possibilities. Clearly we have plenty of Ohio and Missouri boardies.

I knew Jenis had expanded, but I didn't know they are in DC now. I actually think they've changed a lot (not for the better) since they first started, but the North Market location still makes a good stop for someone who doesn't already have them available. :)

Edited by MEmama

Cahokia Mounds is AMAZING!!! The sense of history there is overwhelming, especially for someone who has lived in various parts of the midwest her entire life, and doesn't get to see the "old" things in the US that most people talk about.

I've lived in St. Louis for almost two decades, and I've still never been to the City Museum. I know it's supposed to be awesome, but I think it would be overwhelming for me. The new museum at the Arch is pretty cool, and the view from the top is great. Plus, the Old Courthouse (known for the Dred Scott case), and the Old Cathedral are both right there, if you want to visit them, too. And the mosaic collection in the Cathedral Basilica is outstanding. Oh, and I think you mentioned an interest in theater? The Missouri History Museum has a special exhibit about the Muny, the outdoor theater in St. Louis, that's fantastic. It's only open through early June, though. And I could recommend all kinds of good restaurants if you do decide to stop in the city and want to grab a bite to eat. đŸ™‚Â 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

I knew Jenis had expanded, but I didn't know they are in DC now. I actually think they've changed a lot (not for the better) since they first started, but the North Market location still makes a good stop for someone who doesn't already have them available. đŸ™‚

I don't think there are a ton of them. They're just in half a dozen cities, I think. And there's only the one here. It just happens to be in the next neighborhood south of us. It's always weird when a local place expands. Sometimes the quality really suffers. I remember when Five Guys was three locations and they were amazing. Now... I mean... meh. And they're really everywhere.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, PeterPan said:

PS. We finally got a Cane's in our town, and it's really been affecting my weight loss. It's a problem. :biggrin:

I live like 5 minutes from a Raising Cane's, it is dangerous. 

I also recommend City Museum. 

For more food in St. Louis, try Lion's Choice - the BEST fast food roast beef. Also if you want to head south just a bit - still in St. Louis, hit Ted Drewes for some frozen custard. 

I also recommend the WWI museum in KC. I would also try to visit the Nelson-Atkins museum in KC

• Like 2