Menu

If dairy causes acne flare-ups....

would it be possible that yogurt would cause less or no flare ups? (as opposed to cheese and regular milk?)

This is the second time my son pretty much went off of dairy more by accident and other circumstances than because of his acne.  For two weeks he's only eaten yogurt and no cheese or milk and his acne cleared up almost 100%...which is especially amazing since he lost one of his acne medications and the other one expired so he wasn't using the topical creams either.  

I won't encourage him to go off dairy 100% because he is already highly allergic to peanuts and allergic to wheat. Managing those two allergies is really enough! He has been off of regular milk for most of a year, and drinks almond milk instead.  When he goes away to college, his access to dairy will be extremely limited anyway, so it should be easy to keep it to a minimum.

However, he really likes Greek yogurt on his mexican foods, tamales and in his shakes....

I don't know if it was the overall reduction in dairy that caused his face to clear up, or if maybe yogurt is somehow more digestible than cheese (which was the main culprit.)

That's what I was kind of thinking....fermented! That's the concept I was missing when I was googling this, thanks!

I can't tell him to stop eating yogurt or anything else at this point, he's 17 and leaving in 3 months 🙂 and with an already frustrating and limited diet I can just imagine the sigh if I said to eliminate another food! 🙂

BUT I'd like to see if I can give some accurate info, so he can figure out what to do for himself.

I know that when I was a teen I was told not to consume dairy except for yogurt with probiotics. So my dad used probiotics and milk to make unsweetened yogurt which did not cause any acne for me. I could not have butter or milk in order to avoid acne.

For DD who is prone to pimples from dairy or sweets, I don't let her have any dairy including yogurt because of the sugar content. She doesn't like the taste of milk nor plain Greek yogurt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Calming Tea said:

That's what I was kind of thinking....fermented! That's the concept I was missing when I was googling this, thanks!

I can't tell him to stop eating yogurt or anything else at this point, he's 17 and leaving in 3 months 🙂 and with an already frustrating and limited diet I can just imagine the sigh if I said to eliminate another food! 🙂

BUT I'd like to see if I can give some accurate info, so he can figure out what to do for himself.

I give DD a high dosage of probiotics (90 billion). If she could stand unsweetened Greek yogurt, I would incorporate that into her diet to see if it did anything to get skin.

• Like 1

I get bad acne from drinking milk, but fermented dairy, butter, and cream (and some occasional ice cream), are all fine for me.

Which reminds me, I was totally not thinking about dairy last week when I was on a road trip and treated myself to a couple of lattes. I couldn't figure out where the acne came from! I guess I just got so used to never having milk that I completely forgot about it.