Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
theelfqueen

YAY! My kid got...

My 18 year old is involved in a television/radio production certification program at the CC.

He just landed a paid summer internship working for the local Minor League Baseball team (doing graphics, running the board and filming games, etc.) This is such a cool opportunity for him and it's so amazing to see him really moving forward on this path. He's the kid we knew would not be a traditional student but weren't sure where he *would* go. It's amazing to see him having some direction, and excited about it!

• Like 29

That is amazing!  I know how good it feels for our kids to get to do what they love.

That's awesome!  My son was definitely a star shaped peg trying to fit in the round hole of traditional education.  It was a 12 year battle to get him through the academics because all he wanted to do was create movies. Everything else, like math and history, was a total waste of precious time (in his eyes) because it kept him away from his "work".  He attended a media arts charter high school, where he discovered audio production, and that became his passion, and he still liked film and hated academics.  But, his junior year, he finally figured out that he just had to do his time, play the game, and finish school so that he could get out and have the opportunity to pursue what he loved.

After he graduated (in 2016) he went to Full Sail University, in Orlando Florida.  Have you heard of it?  It was the best thing he ever could have done.  In 20 months, he earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Recording Arts.  It was hard, hard, hard, but it was what he wanted more than anything in the world, and he did it!  

He is now living on his own, actually working in the film industry!  He's an independent contractor, doing production assistant work on short projects (like all the Sprint commercials).  He's worked as Production Manager a couple times on other projects, and is learning all the different jobs on set.   He still composes music and produces it himself, but that is his "art", which he doesn't wish to commercialize.  He also works with his cousin doing high-end real estate photography.  So, his passion for film and photography pays the bills, and allows him to work on his own terms and still have time to pursue his passions.  He's totally supporting himself and living his dream, and he's only 22 years old!  We are so proud of him!

Check out Full Sail (they have an awesome film program, and many other media based degree programs), and see if it's something you guys might want to pursue past CC.  (I'm happy to answer questions you may have, and ktgrok's husband teaches there).  It may seem expensive, but the cost goes way down when you consider that the BS only takes 20 months, plus they offer scholarships, sometimes even passion-based, if you can imagine such a thing.  (My son got $20K just for writing an essay describing why he would be a good fit for Full Sail).  They'll accept some of his CC courses as well (ds didn't have to take English or Physics because he had had them as dual credit in high school, so that saved us a couple thousand dollars).  fullsail.edu

Anyway, woohoo!!!!  :biggrin:  I am totally on board with your supporting your son in the film industry.  Video media is here to stay, and the industry is growing.  Way to go ds!!!  Enjoy your summer!

PS. Shameless plug: Here's a link to the album my ds wrote while he was at Full Sail.  Some parts are very sad, as it's autobiographical in real time as he was living through the challenges of leaving behind home and friends and love, and going through a metamorphosis of sorts, emerging in the last song a confident, triumphant adult!  This is a link to the whole album streamed on YouTube, but from there, you can get to the individual tracks on SoundCloud and CDBaby.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC1tbAN2YCU

• Like 2