Menu

S/O: Tattoos, yours?

DawnM

Tattoos in your family  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Tattoos

• I have a tattoo (or more than one)
    • My spouse (or partner) has a tattoo (or more than one)
    • One or more of my children has a tattoo (or more than one)
    • None of us have tattoos but one or more of us have talked about getting one or would like to
    • None of us have tattoos and none of us want one
    • Other

I am just curious.  None of us have any tattoos, but my coworker came back from Spring Break with a heart on her arm.  It is her first tattoo and she is in her 50s.

I have some friends with tattoos, one has a beautiful outline of the continent of Africa on her back shoulder and I love it, but I still don't think Tattoos are for me.  But I will never say never.

SHOW YOURS if you are willing!  I would love to see them!

Edited by DawnM

I have a tiny one on the outside of my left pinky that was done many decades ago by an art history professor at UCLA.  (I took a grad seminar on body art, and at the end of the class he offered to tattoo any students who wanted one, lol.) Living in close proximity to Venice Beach at the time, I had a chance to see a lot of 20-30 year old tats on 50-60 year old people, and that was enough to persuade me not to get any large ones. If they stayed "fresh" looking forever, I might be inclined to get more, but I don't like the way black lines end up a really smudgy, blurry greenish-blue after a while.

• Like 7

I have 6, but they are from radiation treatment. Tattoos, yes, not decorative or by choice. 

Other than that no, although I've toyed with the idea of getting a small one somewhere. One reason I haven't it that I can't decide on what I want for a design. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I read awhile back about people who have their Pyrex pattern tattooed and I've been thinking about that ever since. I know it's weird, but I might do it.

Dh has a small one. No interest in getting more.

A friend has a drawing by one of her kids of their family (among a million other things) and that's my favorite tattoo on anyone I've personally known.

• Like 3

It won't let me pick more than one option.

Other-I had a quarter sized rust colored curlicue tattoo on my hip that has since faded, which was part of the plan.  It was visible to others when I wore a bikini.  I was in my early 30s when I got it.

Kid-I have a daughter with a beautiful Tree of Gondor tattoo in blue ink on her thigh that is visible when she wears shorts. She got it when she was 19.

I have two. One is in parts, so it's big. The center is a mock square from the periodic table, using mine & dh's initials & the month/year of our anniversary as the atomic weight. Then around it are symbols of each kid, in their birthstone colors. So, a blue moon, a turquoise sun, and a purple star. Then a purple butterfly as well to symbolize the one we lost (miscarriage). It has a small swirly design on either side, as well, one swirl in red & blue, the other in yellow & green (for US & BR). 

Then on my hip/stomach (like, along the curve of the bone) is a peacock feather that is writing a nickname DH has for me. (the nickname makes the stalk part of the feather). 

I'm debating a third, but can't decide on placement. My rule is not visible in normal clothes but I keep thinking I really want the 3rd one on the inside of my wrist. Only, it breaks my own rule, so.....still debating. 

• Like 1

So far only one of my kids has a tattoo.  It's not very visible - on her back - and it's small.  She regrets it.  

I have another child who talks *a lot* about getting tattoos.  In fact, she's mentioned several times that that is the first splurge she wants to do for herself once she graduates and is gainfully employed.   She wants sleeves and the whole shebang.   I hope she goes slowly with that idea.  

I don't think I'll ever get one...  I'd always think about what else I could be spending the money on that I'd rather do.  Like, what percentage of an airline ticket could I get with that money?  haha   It's just not an important enough investment for me.  On the other hand, I have nothing against them.  Three of my children have one.

None here, and previously none of us every wanted any. But regulations changed recently at my husband’s place of work and he can no longer where his wedding ring there. I mentioned that I knew someone with a tattooed wedding ring and I liked it, even though I probably like less than 0.1% of tattoos I see. He seemed intrigued by the idea, so we’ll see what happens.

Other: My spouse and 2 eldest kids have multiple tattoos. I have none. I like all of dh's tattoos and most of the girls'.

My biggest reason for not having one is that I'm cheap. I can always think of something else that I would rather spend the money on. But I'm not dead yet, so there may be one in my future. 

I really wanted a tiny shooting star on my lower torso when I was younger. I don't know why I wanted it and I never found a design I really liked. Let's just say that now that I have had four going on five full-term pregnancies, I am SO thankful I never did that.

I have zero and I told dh that if I said I ever wanted to get a tattoo that he needed to make me get a brain scan. That is how much I despise them.

Dh has one medium one between his shoulder blades and a large one that goes across the right side of his body and stops around his belly button. It is five things that represent each child. While the tattoo artwork is done really well and I appreciate how chose to represent each child, I dont like his tattoos. I just don't like the permanency of them

5 hours ago, SusanC said:

What does this mean? I'm thinking 9X13 or 11X7 plain glass baking dish? Clue me in here.

My pattern is Butterfly Gold. It was popular on Corningware from the 70's as well. I also have some pieces in Spring Blossom and Woodland, but I don't consider those "my" pattern. And I don't think they'd make good tattoos anyway. I think Friendship, Saxony, and Balloons would all make good tattoos... but I don't actually have those patterns. Yes, Pyrex dorks are a thing. 

• Like 2

I sort of wanted one in my twenties, but never got beyond the musing about it phase.

The bottom line is that I don’t think they’re pretty. No matter the design or the skill of the artist, I never look at a tattoo and think, “that’s so pretty!”  And so in the end, I just don’t want one.  Tattoo art is an aesthetic that doesn’t quite resonate with me.

But I can understand that other people do find them beautiful.  People like different things.  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

So far only one of my kids has a tattoo.  It's not very visible - on her back - and it's small.  She regrets it. 

Laser tattoo removal is always an option.  I am having my tattoos removed this way.  It hurts like crazy, but I'm happy with the outcome so far. 

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

Why did you decide to remove them? 

My ex and I got matching wedding band tattoos.  He's been my ex for over a decade, and while the tattoo doesn't bother my (now and forever) DH, it bothers me.

The other tattoo is from that same time period in my life.  I was young and it seemed like a good idea at the time.  So edgy!  Look at what a bada$$ I am!  It's 20+ years later, and I feel very silly with this tattoo.  It doesn't look edgy or bada$$ at this stage of life.  I've hit a point in life where certain things look fun and cool on young people, but look odd and tired on me.  On a young girl, it would look cute.  On me, it screams "Someone's trying too hard", lol.  So! It's gotta go!  

My ankle rose is officially 24 years old and has never been touched up. I can’t say it’s held up well, but it isn’t bad enough to make me self-conscious.   I also have a big J on the back of my shoulder that I got over 20 years ago for my first born. I suppose it’s doing just fine back there, lol.

I do have an old name in small letters. I’m not exactly thrilled with that, but it doesn’t bother me enough to pay to do something about it.  I guess I just think of it as a scar!

In my “old age” (mid-30s to now, early 40s), I’ve really wanted a pentagram, representing my 5 kids, but I feel like most people would bypass ages of symbolism and go straight toward cultish thoughts. And then I get annoyed that I’m refraining from something meaningful because other people lack broad knowledge.

I’ve also become very picky about artists as I’ve gotten older.  WHich has put things even further out of my price range!  TV tattoo competitions have ruined it for me, lol.

@WendyAndMilo, those all sound lovely. Mine are also drawn/designed by me. The peacock feather I took the idea and a rough sketch to an artist I found online (I looked through multiple places' websites to find a particular person who did things in the style I wanted), and he drew the final drawing based on what I showed him, and it's perfect. The one I'm thinking of is also something I've designed. I love them (and DH is afraid I'll get more, but......). Love yours.

@happypamama, that would be lovely if you did that one day. (((((hugs))))) If you aren't a tattoo person, though, I hope you find some other way to keep that image forever. I bet a good artist could do a sketch for you of his sweet little hand on your chest, in a way that would be tasteful and beautiful. I hope you have photos, and am infinitely sorry that's all you have. (((((Hugs))))

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Laser tattoo removal is always an option.  I am having my tattoos removed this way.  It hurts like crazy, but I'm happy with the outcome so far. 

I would not have pictured you having a tattoo.  🙂  I have no idea why.

15 hours ago, Frances said:

None here, and previously none of us every wanted any. But regulations changed recently at my husband’s place of work and he can no longer where his wedding ring there. I mentioned that I knew someone with a tattooed wedding ring and I liked it, even though I probably like less than 0.1% of tattoos I see. He seemed intrigued by the idea, so we’ll see what happens.

I will never get a tattoo, but I have always liked this idea.  Especially for people who can't wear their rings for whatever reason.

5 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I would not have pictured you having a tattoo.  🙂  I have no idea why.

Unfortunately, I can't really picture myself with one anymore, either!  Yet here they are...for now. I'll be glad when they are both gone. 

They are small tattoos: a ring and a bracelet.  Not like some big skull and dagger or anything crazy like that, lol. They don't raise a lot of eyebrows, but I still go "ugh" when I see them. I need to stop dragging my feet and make the next laser appointment. 

Edited by MissLemon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MissLemon said:

Unfortunately, I can't really picture myself with one anymore, either!  Yet here they are...for now. I'll be glad when they are both gone. 

They are small tattoos: a ring and a bracelet.  Not like some big skull and dagger or anything crazy like that, lol. They don't raise a lot of eyebrows, but I still go "ugh" when I see them. I need to stop dragging my feet and make the next laser appointment. 

I knew a girl who had a bunch of big tattoos.  She decided to have them all removed.  Went to a lot of expense...and pain?  And then a few years later got new ones!

13 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I knew a girl who had a bunch of big tattoos.  She decided to have them all removed.  Went to a lot of expense...and pain?  And then a few years later got new ones!

I can't imagine going through all this expense and pain for laser removal, only to re-ink myself. Once this is over, I will never, ever, ever get another tattoo.  It's taken over a year to get 1 small ring tattoo removed.  I started 2 years ago but took a year off, because I needed a break from the whole experience.  It's really hard to convince yourself you want to get zapped by a laser every 8 weeks.   

I made my next appointment for Friday, and my palms are sweaty just thinking about it. 

• Like 2

So I just found out a friend of mine (early 50s) had a relationship recently for 3 years (I  had lost touch).  She got a tattoo that signified her relationship.  And now, it is over.  But the tattoo remains.

I felt really bad for her.

• Sad 1

That stinks.  Been there. 

She could always get a cover up tattoo.  Or if she just wants the thing gone, surgical excision is an option, depending on the tattoo location.  Laser removal is an option but it takes a long time. 😕

• Like 1

I have seven tattoos:

Back: a raven and an owl

Right upper arm: eagle with American flag

right ankle: spider

right ankle/lower calf (above the spider): butterfly with image of a tiger in its wings

left ankle: rose; says "Daddy's girl."                                                                    

left breast area (above and towards midline from nipple): valknot

I got them all while I was in the Navy, though I've thought about getting others. The raven, owl, rose, valknot, and spider were all done in Orlando, the butterfly and Eagle on Saipan, iirc, 

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

So I just found out a friend of mine (early 50s) had a relationship recently for 3 years (I  had lost touch).  She got a tattoo that signified her relationship.  And now, it is over.  But the tattoo remains.

I felt really bad for her.

Eh. Tattoos are one way of signifying memories. She could add on to it, cover it, or just get a new tattoo when/if she's in another relationship. I haven't gotten "Daddy's girl" covered on my ankle yet even though my dad and I do not see eye to eye AT ALL and I transitioned, but I don't regret the tattoo even though it's kind of complicated and problematic now. I might eventually cover the "girl" part for safety reasons though. Maybe with his birth/death dates after he dies. I just thought of that...mostly I don't think about my tattoos and forget they are there except to make sure I get them when I slather on sunscreen.

6 minutes ago, Ravin said:

Eh. Tattoos are one way of signifying memories. She could add on to it, cover it, or just get a new tattoo when/if she's in another relationship. I haven't gotten "Daddy's girl" covered on my ankle yet even though my dad and I do not see eye to eye AT ALL and I transitioned, but I don't regret the tattoo even though it's kind of complicated and problematic now. I might eventually cover the "girl" part for safety reasons though. Maybe with his birth/death dates after he dies. I just thought of that...mostly I don't think about my tattoos and forget they are there except to make sure I get them when I slather on sunscreen.

I just know it was significant enough for her to bring it up.  

I’ve never had any desire for a tattoo and dh would never get one. At least one of our kids has tattoos.

Having said that, 12 years ago dh had a heart attack and I thought I was going to lose him. That night I dreamed I was getting a tattoo of his initials near my heart, tiny little tattoo.  Then three years ago he had another heart attack and we REALLY thought we were losing him. And again, I dreamed about that tattoo. 

So I’m guessing if I ever lose him I’ll be doing that. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Annie G said:

I’ve never had any desire for a tattoo and dh would never get one. At least one of our kids has tattoos.

Having said that, 12 years ago dh had a heart attack and I thought I was going to lose him. That night I dreamed I was getting a tattoo of his initials near my heart, tiny little tattoo.  Then three years ago he had another heart attack and we REALLY thought we were losing him. And again, I dreamed about that tattoo. 

So I’m guessing if I ever lose him I’ll be doing that. 

Wow!~ . Yeah, I guess you are!

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 7:49 PM, EmseB said:

I really wanted a tiny shooting star on my lower torso when I was younger. I don't know why I wanted it and I never found a design I really liked. Let's just say that now that I have had four going on five full-term pregnancies, I am SO thankful I never did that.

Congratulations!  Are you due soon?

I have two tattoos -- One that is a sketch of a sleeping cat on my inner forearm. To me, nothing is more relaxing that watching a cat who is snoozing. If  cat is sleeping it means everything is calm, peaceful and warm. So when I look at my sleeping cat it helps calm me down!

The other tattoo refers to my divorce. It runs up my other arm and says "She had not know the weight until she felt the freedom". I just love that one.

My daughter graduated with a degree in Biology, so she got the chemical composition for adrenaline tattooed on her ribs. She is a real adventure seeker so it fits her. She also has a compass tattooed on her with the saying "Explore, Dream, Discover" to remind her of her Outward Bound experience.

Her take on tattoos is this: "I have my body for anywhere from 0-100 years. When I die and before my body is returned, I want it to be representative of me, what I have gone through, who I am."

My youngest daughter has tattooed, in Italian, "God is within her, she will not fall"

Edited by Home'scool

I got a tattoo at the end of college, when I turned 22. I thought it was cool and hip and the design (a crescent moon and a star) symbolized "true love" to me at that time. It's very small, high up on my right hip. I thought I was being very smart about placement, thinking no one but me and my husband would ever know about it ... not realizing at the time that kids know no privacy boundaries and every last one of them would someday ask me, "Mommy, why did you let somebody draw a picture on your butt????" 🤣

I wish I hadn't got it now, but most of the time I forget it's there, so it's not like it's a huge regret. It just ... doesn't represent who I am anymore, I guess, and it seems kind of silly and childish to me now. Not that I think everybody's tattoos are childish, just that I can recognize that me getting mine was a childish decision.

• Like 1