Menu

Taking pix on vacay..Cell phone or camera?

dancer67

In the past, I have always taken my digital camera. Nowadays, everyone seem to take pictures just on their cell phones.

I have an Iphone X. I take pictures on it here at home. I have never developed any and would have no idea how good they would come out.

We are visiting the Dominican. We have been in the past. Beautiful.

I will have my cell with me.

I like to make photo books.

So has anyone just used their cell phone for pix when going on vacation and do the pictures come out good if you develop them? Or do you take pictures with a regular camera?

I guess I am still in the "old school" way of thinking..lol...

My digital camera takes amazing pictures. But I never see anyone taking photos with them any longer. And I am seriously clueless when it comes to new technology. Like getting the extra storage. I know its some kind of drive you put into the phone, but I would have no idea how to use it.....

New tech gives me a headache sometimes

3 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I would take your digital on the trip just in case.  Maybe not take it everywhere, but take some so you have both!  I love pictures and would be so sad if I got home and they didn't turn out as I'd hope.  

This is what I have done in the past. I would take "selfies" and such to post to facebook, and use my digital for the really good moments. But I don't think I have seen one person with a digital camera anywhere in years.....

14 minutes ago, dancer67 said:

This is what I have done in the past. I would take "selfies" and such to post to facebook, and use my digital for the really good moments. But I don't think I have seen one person with a digital camera anywhere in years.....

You must not live near me -- LOL!  One of my boys and I like to go out and take pictures (I have 2 nice digital cameras).  I have an older phone right now though and don't like the picture quality.  We are upgrading soon though and I'm looking for a good camera in whatever phone I get.  I will probably still at least take my digital on vacay.

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 1

For vacations or any really significant events, I use my real camera no matter how well my phone handles pictures. But I’m a control freak who learned to take photos manually so YMMV.

• Like 2

I've been relying on my phone for the past several years. I finally bought a new mirrorless camera and just took it on our recent trip. The quality difference is startling—I am thrilled with it and now can’t believe I put up with the relatively crappy quality of all my phones.

Mirrorless cameras are smaller and more lightweight than DSLRs, making them a perfect choice for me, who wants the high quality and ease of use but not the bulk. 

I took my 128gb iPhone 6s and a Nikon SLR when we went to Niagara Falls, Canada two years ago. My phone battery did not survive longer than half a day and I use my SLR to take lots of candid videos of my kids. The extra weight was worth it and it was easy to clear my Lowepro camera bag through TSA. My current iPhone 7 Plus is only 32gb so I do need to bring a camera for any trips as my iPhone storage is full. 

My iPhone photos print out well on a normal size 4R photo but grainy when enlarged. My friend prints them wallet size for photo books.

3 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

I stopped using my camera several years ago because the photo quality was better on my phone. The only issue I run into is space/photo storage. If you think you'll take a lot of pics, maybe get some sort of storage drive. 

Same here.  My iphone takes great pictures considering I'm just an amateur.  😛  No extra stuff to carry / keep track of is a big plus for me.

As for storage, I generally download my photos to my laptop often enough that I don't run out of space on my iphone.  Right now my iphone 7 has 741 photos on it from my recent 10-day trip to Dubai and Abu Dhabi.  (I did download most of them during the trip, but I am keeping them on the phone for now for reasons not worth boring you with.)

If you're more of a cloud person, I believe you can also upload them to the cloud from your phone.  You can also easily text, email, or post to facebook etc. from your phone.  So IMO it's a lot more convenient than carrying a separate camera.

4 hours ago, dancer67 said:

My digital camera takes amazing pictures. But I never see anyone taking photos with them any longer. And I am seriously clueless when it comes to new technology. Like getting the extra storage. I know its some kind of drive you put into the phone, but I would have no idea how to use it.....

New tech gives me a headache sometimes

With newer cameras, you can download photos onto your phone. I find this super convenient (necessary for my use; I haven't bothered putting photos onto the computer for years), since I prefer to do any editing with my phone apps and to print directly from my phone. 

If you are concerned about storage on your camera, you can just buy an extra memory card--a cheap and super simple solution. 

Depends on the quality of your cell phone camera and your compact. My cell takes much better pictures than my compact camera, but not quite as good ones as the SLR which weighs several pounds. I'll never go back to a compact. I would only carry the SLR if I needed the telephoto lens.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dancer67 said:

get an SD card for your phone. Then set the settings so that pictures are saved to the SD card and not the phone. Done.

25 minutes ago, regentrude said:

get an SD card for your phone. Then set the settings so that pictures are saved to the SD card and not the phone. Done.

OP has an iPhone which doesn’t support SD cards. She would need to buy a lightning connector flash drive or upload to iCloud every day for backup. 

I take my actual camera with me when it's convenient, because I think it does take better pictures. But when it's not (when we visited Universal Orlando last summer, for example), my phone does just fine. Seriously, it really does take excellent photos...it just doesn't have all of the settings I prefer. But it's so much easier to carry, and sometimes, that's really important!

I have a very small Canon digital. It can fit in my pocket. But that thing takes amazing pictures. Crystal clear. And its about 6 years old now. I think I am going to take both like I have always done just in case. And all this talk about new technology, I am not even sure what half of what you guys are even talking about....flash drives..DSLR...mirrorless......cloud storage...I just talk on my phone, text message, and take pictures. Oh , and use FB...LOL

If I get stuck I ask my 20 yo daughter(who doesn't always have the most patience with me lol)

Thanks ladies

I see you decided, and I think you're making the right choice. The times I've been cell phone only on a vacay, I've always wished for my real camera. Always. My cell pictures come out fine, we make photo books of them, I've had some printed and even printed as large photos (8x10), and they're fine. But in the moment, there have been many times I know I'd have gotten an even better shot from my real camera. 

• Like 1