Menu

Jon Peterson Scholarship in Ohio?

Can anyone give me information on this? A couple people mentioned it in a couple threads and someone mentioned it to me today when I told them I was homeschooling a couple of my kids that have IEP's from our public school system. They were homeschooled then I put them in PS for the last 2 years. Now I'm planning on HSing them through the end now. They will me in 8th and 9th next year. How does this scholarship work and does it apply to homeschool?

24 minutes ago, beaners said:

One thing we ran into with this was that our rural area had very few providers. That was 5 years ago so things may have changed.

Yes, still an issue. Now it's easy for a provider to get added, sure. You would just talk with your provider and have them do it. And there are therapists who do NOT want to screw around with the system. They have to have enough clients using it that it's worth the effort. It increases administration costs for the therapy office, has lots of hoops with allocations and using multiple providers, requires quarterly reports, etc. And if the therapy practice screws up, they can be in hot water, get kicked out, etc. We had a school near us shut down, poof, over this. So it's not like a small thing. 

The most optimistic way to see it is the availability is there, the funding makes it more possible, and if the therapist is already there they can get added if they're willing. But some people move for access, sure.