Menu

What's with the ads?

Seasider too

End Game ***SPOILERS*** Don’t come in if you haven’t seen it yet!

3 hours ago, TheReader said:

The one thing I was bummed about, no one else has mentioned (and when DH mentioned it to his co-workers, they said, "who's Luis??") -- I wish they'd have thrown Luis in *somewhere* when Ant Man came back -- either, the van should have been stored with him and the other guys, or Ant Man should have had a mini reunion with him at the end, too, or......something. I mean, come on. They brought the kid from the barn from Iron Man 3 to the funeral......they showed Peter Parker back with Ned/Guy in the Chair in his scene......they could have dropped Luis in somewhere. But that's just me.....

YES! He was the one I mentioned to my family as well.  Nothing about Luis or Sharon Carter.  Though given how Cap's story plays out, not bringing Sharon into it makes sense.  I feel like they could have come up with a fantastic one-liner for Luis.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, VaKim said:

Oh, and dd was thinking that when all the snapped people returned, they returned to the spot they left from. Which could mean that they were able to snap Natalie back, but she is still on the place where she jumped off the cliff. I love hearing all the theories. 

That's something really interesting to think about! Especially since Hulk specifically said that he really tried to bring her back.

Which could mean that Natalie and Gomorra are hanging out on Vormir with Red Skull and no way to get off that planet. 

Edited by Lady Marmalade
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lady Marmalade said:

That's something really interesting to think about! Especially since Hulk specifically said that he really tried to bring her back.

Which could mean that Natalie and Gomorra are hanging out on Morag with Red Skull and no way to get off that planet. 

Pretty sure that’s the first place Peter Quill would go. I predict an opening disco takedown scene on vormir for GoG3. 

In which we learn chubby Thor has dance skills. That’s it, a Q vs T dance off. Winner takes on red skull. 

Edited by Seasider too
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

We are a die hard Marvel family.    

Can I be totally non-pc here.  I cannot stand Captain Marvel.  I felt very neutral about her in Captain Marvel but in this film-gag, so smug.  There are so many amazing female characters in this group.  Shuri, Scarlett Witch, Black Widow, The Wasp - love them all.  I just don't like Captain Marvel.  They tried to bring her in too late in the game and made her too powerful and she's so proud/smug.  She isn't really part of the team overall. She's not loved in our house.  From what I have read we are not alone.  

My first thought seeing Peter go back to school was how? how did five years pass and he steps back into high school?  

I am excited about another Black Panther, Dr Strange, or Spiderman movie.  Another Guardians would be fun too. I am sad that the avengers era has ended though 😞.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Pretty sure that’s the first place Peter Quill would go. I predict an opening disco takedown scene on vormir for GoG3. 

In which we learn chubby Thor has dance skills. That’s it, a Q vs T dance off. Winner takes on red skull. 

Please oh please let this be canon!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We all liked it a lot!

It was such a relief when people came back.

I love Thor even more now ❤

I agree with others that we needed Luis.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lady Marmalade said:

YES! He was the one I mentioned to my family as well.  Nothing about Luis or Sharon Carter.  Though given how Cap's story plays out, not bringing Sharon into it makes sense.  I feel like they could have come up with a fantastic one-liner for Luis.  

Right?! I mean, at least a little nod, somewhere.....(my version would have had the van be in storage with Luis, and he would have explained to AntMan what had happened, in typical Luis fashion, because, duh......)

33 minutes ago, Attolia said:

Can I be totally non-pc here.  I cannot stand Captain Marvel.  I felt very neutral about her in Captain Marvel but in this film-gag, so smug.  There are so many amazing female characters in this group.  Shuri, Scarlett Witch, Black Widow, The Wasp - love them all.  I just don't like Captain Marvel.  They tried to bring her in too late in the game and made her too powerful and she's so proud/smug.  She isn't really part of the team overall. She's not loved in our house.  From what I have read we are not alone.  

My first thought seeing Peter go back to school was how? how did five years pass and he steps back into high school?  

I am excited about another Black Panther, Dr Strange, or Spiderman movie.  Another Guardians would be fun too. I am sad that the avengers era has ended though 😞.

Agreeing. I didn't love her movie, and I didn't love at ALL how they put her in this movie and how they used her. The one scene, I told DH, "Well, you know, you can't make a movie today without a Girl Power! scene...." but it was just so.....contrived. I mean, hello, there are *already* gobs of strong women in this franchise. And everyone was making a dent against Thanos, really, kind of. They really did not need a rescuer, especially one who acted like she didn't really want to be there/had disdain for having to be there. 

And also, same thought on Peter Parker. DH's theory on that is, well, *everyone* was snapped (half the population, anyway), and then they all returned unaged, so.....yea, they'd have to finish school as the world rebuilds. Which, I guess I can kind of accept. I'm willing to let Marvel tell me how that works when his movie comes out this summer 😉 DH's theory sounds reasonable to me. I think. 

And I *really* just want to see "Asgardians of the Galaxy" please and thank you. (well, sure on the others too, but mostly that one has me excited at the moment....) 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Attolia said:

I'm neutral on her. My kids think she's too OP, which I think is fair. It's tough to ratchet up the powers of everyone without it feeling false. My favorite female MCU characters are Valkyrie (who did good some good screen time here) and Shuri (who didn't at all). But the women definitely took a backseat for the whole movie (except for Nebula). I was bugged by all the Iron Man grief compared to Black Widow... who is basically forgotten at the end of the movie. I understand it narratively... but it just re-emphasizes the extent to which the narrative has always put male characters above female ones, so of course we don't mourn Natasha the same way we mourn Tony. The film never gave us the chance to.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Agreeing. I didn't love her movie, and I didn't love at ALL how they put her in this movie and how they used her. The one scene, I told DH, "Well, you know, you can't make a movie today without a Girl Power! scene...." but it was just so.....contrived. I mean, hello, there are *already* gobs of strong women in this franchise. And everyone was making a dent against Thanos, really, kind of. They really did not need a rescuer, especially one who acted like she didn't really want to be there/had disdain for having to be there. 

And also, same thought on Peter Parker. DH's theory on that is, well, *everyone* was snapped (half the population, anyway), and then they all returned unaged, so.....yea, they'd have to finish school as the world rebuilds. Which, I guess I can kind of accept. I'm willing to let Marvel tell me how that works when his movie comes out this summer 😉 DH's theory sounds reasonable to me. I think. 

And I *really* just want to see "Asgardians of the Galaxy" please and thank you. (well, sure on the others too, but mostly that one has me excited at the moment....) 

I don't think she was contrived... I think if she felt that way it's because they should have given her more time, honestly. They should have given all the women more screen time. If female characters feel contrived, I generally think it's because franchises need to invest more in them. Some of it is definitely our biases in seeing powerful women swoop in. I mean, some of the male characters also swoop in to do various things and they're not contrived.

The people who were snapped definitely came back unaged. That's pretty much stated. But everyone else did age. This will not really make sense going forward. It still makes Far From Home weird. Like, there's no way that all of Peter's little pals were snapped. The odds are absurd.

I think we'd all like to see Asguardians of the Galaxy.

• Like 1

Just now, Farrar said:

I don't think she was contrived... I think if she felt that way it's because they should have given her more time, honestly. They should have given all the women more screen time. If female characters feel contrived, I generally think it's because franchises need to invest more in them. Some of it is definitely our biases in seeing powerful women swoop in. I mean, some of the male characters also swoop in to do various things and they're not contrived.

The people who were snapped definitely came back unaged. That's pretty much stated. But everyone else did age. This will not really make sense going forward. It still makes Far From Home weird. Like, there's no way that all of Peter's little pals were snapped. The odds are absurd.

I think we'd all like to see Asguardians of the Galaxy.

Oh, I meant specifically the one scene where Cap Marvel and ALL the female characters gathered together to usher the gauntlet across the field of men doing battle. That, to me, felt contrived. Like, "Hey, look, we can do a Girl Power scene, too!! Yay, us!" when, as you say, the women were given so little screen time comparatively that it just stood out even more for the contrast, ya know? I'd far rather have seen actual good moments of the women being their normal strong selves, as we did with the various male characters, vs. one scene clearly put there just to make that statement. As a character, she's not my favorite, and yes, maybe extra screen time would have helped the overall feeling, but my comment was really only about that one scene, and I don't think all the screen time in the world would have fixed  that.  

And, yes, like you mentioned elsewhere, why on earth didn't we get to spend time mourning Natasha? Because that death was honestly harder. I get that they couldn't pause in the middle of everything to have her funeral (and, how do you, when she's in the soul stone) but even having Hawkeye have a little memorial at his house when they showed him back there at the end, ya know? They could have handled it better, for sure. 

As for Peter....:shrug: I don't know. I mean, half the world. So, all his friends? No. Half of them? Yep. Will the movie have all of them (I haven't been paying that close of attention, honestly), some of them, address this in some way, I have no idea. I honestly keep having this same argument with my DH, saying just what you're saying "It makes no sense, it's five years later...." and he keeps saying "Yes, but, they are starting over, rebuilding, none of the Returned aged, half of the school would have been snapped/returned, so makes sense there's a large group needing to return to high school and he's part of that, blah blah blah."  So, I've decided to go with it until Marvel proves otherwise; we'll see what happens. It does make sense to me, now, why in the preview they show him putting up the suit, leaving it behind, "No, I just want to be a kid, go with my friends, etc...." So, I'm willing to let Marvel explain themselves 🙂 But, I honestly tend that direction anyway; I'm like the poster child for suspension of disbelief. 

6 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Oh, I meant specifically the one scene where Cap Marvel and ALL the female characters gathered together to usher the gauntlet across the field of men doing battle. That, to me, felt contrived. Like, "Hey, look, we can do a Girl Power scene, too!! Yay, us!" when, as you say, the women were given so little screen time comparatively that it just stood out even more for the contrast, ya know? I'd far rather have seen actual good moments of the women being their normal strong selves, as we did with the various male characters, vs. one scene clearly put there just to make that statement. As a character, she's not my favorite, and yes, maybe extra screen time would have helped the overall feeling, but my comment was really only about that one scene, and I don't think all the screen time in the world would have fixed  that.  

And, yes, like you mentioned elsewhere, why on earth didn't we get to spend time mourning Natasha? Because that death was honestly harder. I get that they couldn't pause in the middle of everything to have her funeral (and, how do you, when she's in the soul stone) but even having Hawkeye have a little memorial at his house when they showed him back there at the end, ya know? They could have handled it better, for sure. 

As for Peter....:shrug: I don't know. I mean, half the world. So, all his friends? No. Half of them? Yep. Will the movie have all of them (I haven't been paying that close of attention, honestly), some of them, address this in some way, I have no idea. I honestly keep having this same argument with my DH, saying just what you're saying "It makes no sense, it's five years later...." and he keeps saying "Yes, but, they are starting over, rebuilding, none of the Returned aged, half of the school would have been snapped/returned, so makes sense there's a large group needing to return to high school and he's part of that, blah blah blah."  So, I've decided to go with it until Marvel proves otherwise; we'll see what happens. It does make sense to me, now, why in the preview they show him putting up the suit, leaving it behind, "No, I just want to be a kid, go with my friends, etc...." So, I'm willing to let Marvel explain themselves 🙂 But, I honestly tend that direction anyway; I'm like the poster child for suspension of disbelief. 

Huh. I noticed it, but it didn't stand out for me. The menfolk were occupied. I could see Captain Marvel swooping in feeling contrived just because she is so OP, like I said, and then she doesn't fix anything and sort of disappears repeatedly. She's a bit deus ex machina at times. But I think the cure is put her on screen a little more.

I guess that's what I mean about Peter though... the movie will probably have the same cast of friends for him. It strains credulity for me that his exact friends all got snapped so they could return to be together in high school... presumably with new kids. Eyeroll. I definitely think we're not supposed to think about it too hard.

re: girl power

My son asked me how I felt about all the women going across the field at one time, he did not care for that scene. To me, I'm thinking why is this a thing? Why is it we think a line of just female heroes is significant? Would it be significant if it was only males, no, it would be nbd. Yes, it was strained and probably a move on their part to get into the chick market but I don't care. I think the pendulum will have to swing a bit too far before we find a good balance. I enjoyed Capt. Marvel, yet didn't love her in this film, she was cocky but yet again we enjoy cocky male characters (Iron Man!), so I cut her some slack for that. It is good to have a variety of female role models, we've had so few for so long. Despite Capt. Marvel's spectacular powers I found her personally more relatable than Wonder Women (although I loved WW). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

I'm neutral on her. My kids think she's too OP, which I think is fair. It's tough to ratchet up the powers of everyone without it feeling false. My favorite female MCU characters are Valkyrie (who did good some good screen time here) and Shuri (who didn't at all). But the women definitely took a backseat for the whole movie (except for Nebula). I was bugged by all the Iron Man grief compared to Black Widow... who is basically forgotten at the end of the movie. I understand it narratively... but it just re-emphasizes the extent to which the narrative has always put male characters above female ones, so of course we don't mourn Natasha the same way we mourn Tony. The film never gave us the chance to.

Yes I also wondered what the heck, no memorial service for Nat? Just wrong. 

I wanted to like Captain Marvel but I disdain the Santa Claus ending - wherein someone who really hasn’t been involved in the conflict comes in to save the day at the last minute. I would have preferred they defeat Thanos by combining and concentrating all their powers on him at once rather than needing her to plow in and save the day. Agree about the girl power scene - fabulous in Infinity War, a cheap encore in end game.

I’m guessing we’d get Luis back in a director’s cut.  

• Like 3

I liked when the women came together.  That rings so true.  I've had the misfortune to be involved in catastrophic events where everything is chaos and us women stand up and get things done.

Regarding black widow...Her death is mourned by her "family" while they finish trying to save the world.  The scenes at the end were people showing up to be there for Tony's wife and daughter.  

just my two cents

• Like 5

Can I just say that I'm jealous of you all who watched in a responsive theater.  Mine was weirdly quiet throughout the whole show.   

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TheReader said:

The one thing I was bummed about, no one else has mentioned (and when DH mentioned it to his co-workers, they said, "who's Luis??") -- I wish they'd have thrown Luis in *somewhere* when Ant Man came back -- either, the van should have been stored with him and the other guys, or Ant Man should have had a mini reunion with him at the end, too, or......something. I mean, come on. They brought the kid from the barn from Iron Man 3 to the funeral......they showed Peter Parker back with Ned/Guy in the Chair in his scene......they could have dropped Luis in somewhere. But that's just me.....

YES!  I was so bummed Luis wasn't in it.  I get it; he's a comedic character, and it's a pretty serious film.  But I would have loved a "what you need to know about the previous 21 movies" before the movie started, narrated by Luis.  (Also, I'm pretty sure he was dusted, so there's that, too.)  

• Like 2

I was also bummed that Tony got this beautiful funeral but Natasha didn't.  It sorta made sense, because she was in the middle of the war.  But still.  I hope there is a nod to it in a future movie.

I think the line of female warriors is a set up for an all female Avenger thing.  I've read about some comic issues with that.

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, soror said:

re: girl power

My son asked me how I felt about all the women going across the field at one time, he did not care for that scene. To me, I'm thinking why is this a thing? Why is it we think a line of just female heroes is significant? Would it be significant if it was only males, no, it would be nbd. Yes, it was strained and probably a move on their part to get into the chick market but I don't care. I think the pendulum will have to swing a bit too far before we find a good balance. I enjoyed Capt. Marvel, yet didn't love her in this film, she was cocky but yet again we enjoy cocky male characters (Iron Man!), so I cut her some slack for that. It is good to have a variety of female role models, we've had so few for so long. Despite Capt. Marvel's spectacular powers I found her personally more relatable than Wonder Women (although I loved WW). 

But why was it strained? No one would ever, in a million years, say, why did all the men have to get together and help, that was so dumb, there should have been some women in there to make it feel more organic. I just don't buy that it was strained at all.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, klmama said:

Can I just say that I'm jealous of you all who watched in a responsive theater.  Mine was weirdly quiet throughout the whole show.   

I saw it Friday morning, at 8AM. The guy sitting next to me WAS SNORING. The only time anyone made any noise was the gasping at "Hail Hydra."

My oldest son saw it twice and, both times, said that people talked through important parts and he missed dialogue. He's planning on seeing it a third  time, hoping for a quieter audience! I'm hoping to go again this weekend, myself.

I can't wait to introduce DS10 to the MCU but he's got some anxiety issues and a few of the movies are still a bit too much. I'm hoping that we can start through the series next year (we will watch in this order). This year we are working through the Star Wars movies so that I can take him with me to see Episode IX in December!

Edited by Noreen Claire
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

But why was it strained? No one would ever, in a million years, say, why did all the men have to get together and help, that was so dumb, there should have been some women in there to make it feel more organic. I just don't buy that it was strained at all.

For me, it was having either gender in a full on line-up like that. The scenes where you could see everyone fighting, both genders were present, and that was normal. Having a big line up of one or the other felt fake. The lead-in dialogue added to it -- "Can you manage that alone???" (because, she's a girl....) "She's not alone..." (because we other strong women are with her and together we're strong enough).  If it was a guy (Tony, Cap Am) we wouldn't have had the line in the first place of "can you do it alone?" most likely, and thus wouldn't have had the response of "I'm not alone/she's not alone" (and there, too if we *had* had the phrase, probably the guy would have answered for himself) -- the dialogue of it felt forced and contrived and very "Look at us, showing all the strong women together doing this thing no one else could do."   

If they'd just shown Cap Marvel come in, take the gauntlet from Peter and head off, and the other ladies fall in line with her and help, w/o the dialogue, it would have felt entirely different and more natural. It was (for me) the fact they went to the trouble of throwing in the dialogue to make sure we noticed that rubbed me the wrong way/made it feel so fake, forced, strained, contrived, whatever. 

• Like 3

Okay, I have another question.  Why is Red Skull in charge of the soul stone now?  How did that happen???

On April 30, 2019 at 6:46 PM, TheReader said:

For me, it was having either gender in a full on line-up like that. The scenes where you could see everyone fighting, both genders were present, and that was normal. Having a big line up of one or the other felt fake. The lead-in dialogue added to it -- "Can you manage that alone???" (because, she's a girl....) "She's not alone..." (because we other strong women are with her and together we're strong enough).  If it was a guy (Tony, Cap Am) we wouldn't have had the line in the first place of "can you do it alone?" most likely, and thus wouldn't have had the response of "I'm not alone/she's not alone" (and there, too if we *had* had the phrase, probably the guy would have answered for himself) -- the dialogue of it felt forced and contrived and very "Look at us, showing all the strong women together doing this thing no one else could do."   

If they'd just shown Cap Marvel come in, take the gauntlet from Peter and head off, and the other ladies fall in line with her and help, w/o the dialogue, it would have felt entirely different and more natural. It was (for me) the fact they went to the trouble of throwing in the dialogue to make sure we noticed that rubbed me the wrong way/made it feel so fake, forced, strained, contrived, whatever. 

Funny. I didn't even notice the lineup was all women until someone in the theatre yelled out "girl power! Woot!", and then it took me a moment. It didn't seem contrived or false to me at all.

• Like 2

1.) My favorite scene was "On your left!"

2.) I don't mind the Captain Marvel arrogance as it is true to the current characterization in the comic.  I know she seems a bit forced but the back story explains it, and her character opens up a lot of options for the universe as a whole.

3.)  The girl power scene falls into the category of fun fan service, and I am okay with that.

I have no idea where they are going with the MCU now. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Terabith said:

Okay, I have another question.  Why is Red Skull in charge of the soul stone now?  How did that happen???

He is not in charge.  The tesseract cursed him to vormir.

On 5/2/2019 at 5:37 PM, ChocolateReignRemix said:

1.) My favorite scene was "On your left!"

2.) I don't mind the Captain Marvel arrogance as it is true to the current characterization in the comic.  I know she seems a bit forced but the back story explains it, and her character opens up a lot of options for the universe as a whole.

3.)  The girl power scene falls into the category of fun fan service, and I am okay with that.

I have no idea where they are going with the MCU now. 

I liked Carol Danvers in the CM flashbacks before she became CM. After? No. Just no. No (likeable) personality. She needs to stay off the screen. No scene was improved with her in it.

The all-female scene felt forced because it was forced. Less girl power & more patronising. "Let's make a scene where all the women gather in one place together with bad dialog!" But, there were so many other good scenes that I can forgive a few bad decisions. I would have left that scene on the cutting room floor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

I liked Carol Danvers in the CM flashbacks before she became CM. After? No. Just no. No (likeable) personality. She needs to stay off the screen. No scene was improved with her in it.

The all-female scene felt forced because it was forced. Less girl power & more patronising. "Let's make a scene where all the women gather in one place together with bad dialog!" But, there were so many other good scenes that I can forgive a few bad decisions. I would have left that scene on the cutting room floor.

Depending on where they are going with CM I am okay with the character being unlikable as that fits the current comic characterization.

I disagree on that scene being forced.  All the characters are present at the battle so it isn't impossible. And like I said, I don't mind a little fan service and it was a fun scene.

• Like 1

So I don't get the Captain Marvel hate. She's a badass who just gets it done, pretty positive character traits in a woman, IMO. 

I can't help but wonder if it's because she "doesn't smile enough". 

• Like 4

Black Widow didn't smile much (except when she's putting on the fake sex appeal thing she was taught to use). She "got things done." But, IMO, she's way more likeable. Scarlet Witch didn't smile much & she was both powerful & likeable.

But perhaps both those characters were a bit vulnerable and obviously cared about other characters. They had friendships. CM doesn't seem to actually care in a personal way about others - only in a general "I have to save the world [or universe]" way. Perhaps I would like her more if she cared about someone personally. I liked her past self when she had a best friend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

Black Widow didn't smile much (except when she's putting on the fake sex appeal thing she was taught to use). She "got things done." But, IMO, she's way more likeable. Scarlet Witch didn't smile much & she was both powerful & likeable.

But perhaps both those characters were a bit vulnerable and obviously cared about other characters. They had friendships. CM doesn't seem to actually care in a personal way about others - only in a general "I have to save the world [or universe]" way. Perhaps I would like her more if she cared about someone personally. I liked her past self when she had a best friend.

Ok. Curious--do you feel the same about Dr. Strange?

Not reading this yet -- LOL!  Going today at 12!  We are so excited!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

Ok. Curious--do you feel the same about Dr. Strange?

Yes. Definitely.

As I commented to my kids, I was strangely happy to see Dr Strange when he first showed up in End Game. They understood that it was strange because I can't stand him in general. The happiness to see him quickly wore off.

I didn't like Loki until he became more vulnerable and clearly distraught after his mother's death. So, yes, definitely a pattern for me.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RootAnn said:

She also has a back story involving brain trauma and manipulation.  I won't judge her yet as we are very early in her story arc. 

My main objection to Captain Marvel is just that she seems so overpowered.  It's similar to the way I don't really like Superman really.  She just has ALL the powers.  Which is convenient for the story, but....eh.  I dunno.  It feels overdone.

I liked Captain Marvel in her origin movie, but not in this one. She says at the beginning that things will be different, because she is here, but then she is not; she disappears and then reappears at the end.

I thought Gamora disappearing was odd; I will have to pay more attention to her specifically whenever I watch it again.

Before seeing it, DH and I discussed who would live and who would die. I thought we would lose more of the characters. I predicted that Thor would end up with the Guardians, since he is a space guy, and since they had such good chemistry in Infinity War, and I got that one right!

I wondered why Hawkeye was able to hold the Soul stone in his hand, when other characters in other movies have not been able to hold them.

I especially liked Tony's scenes with his father.

Tony's ending felt right to me, although sad, of course. He is the only one who had found a happy existence after the snap, and he sacrificed everything to save all of the others.

I'm going to have to watch all of the movies again now!

• Like 4

The new trailer is out for Spiderman:Far From Home.   The trailer begins with a warning from Tom Holland to not watch the trailer if you haven't seen Endgame.  The movie definitely seems like an epilogue to the whole Avengers saga and is supposed to be the conclusion of Phase 3.   

We're trying to figure out a time to go see Endgame again.  There's so many things that we want to pay extra attention to! 

• Like 4

I finally got to see the movie!  I generally liked it and hope to see it again, but I did not like the "girl power" scene at all!  I agree with the comments that it was contrived, and I'd even go so far as to say it was the most sexist scene in the Marvel Universe.  Here's why I think so:

They are in the middle of hand-to-hand combat for their very lives and for the survival of the planet.  All of a sudden all of the women and only the women are available to come help Captain Marvel.  Under what possible scenarios could that be the case?

A)  They were available because they had been standing around watching the menfolk do battle.

B)  They had been fighting the whole time, but when they saw a women some of them had never met and the others had only briefly interacted with, everyone of them decided to abandon their battle posts and the men who were their friends and colleagues to come aid this woman who is supposed to be extremely strong and capable herself, just because "girls stick together."

C)  It didn't have anything to do with Captain Marvel being a woman.  All the women -- and only the women -- saw that there would be more glory in being part of the winning touchdown*, than in just doing their quiet part in the hand-to-hand combat battle, so they all came rushing in to be part of it.

Or

D)  They had been fighting the whole time, but by some powerful coincidence, all the women -- but only the women-- had just defeated the foe they'd personally been fighting hand-to-hand, leaving them available to come help Captain Marvel.  And all the men were still battling, but not in such desperate circumstances that their women colleagues would see a more pressing need to give them a hand, instead of assisting CM.

Only the most far-fetched one, D, is what real women -- strong women -- would do in real life.

*'Cause that whole scene was such a football metaphor1  One guy has the ball, er gauntlet, that he's trying to move downfield, er across the battlefield, with the help of his team running interference, to reach the end-zone, er van.  When he's trapped, he passes the ball, er gauntlet, to another team member, who moves it as far as he can, etc.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Maus said:

I finally got to see the movie!  I generally liked it and hope to see it again, but I did not like the "girl power" scene at all!  I agree with the comments that it was contrived, and I'd even go so far as to say it was the most sexist scene in the Marvel Universe.  Here's why I think so:

They are in the middle of hand-to-hand combat for their very lives and for the survival of the planet.  All of a sudden all of the women and only the women are available to come help Captain Marvel.  Under what possible scenarios could that be the case?

A)  They were available because they had been standing around watching the menfolk do battle.

B)  They had been fighting the whole time, but when they saw a women some of them had never met and the others had only briefly interacted with, everyone of them decided to abandon their battle posts and the men who were their friends and colleagues to come aid this woman who is supposed to be extremely strong and capable herself, just because "girls stick together."

C)  It didn't have anything to do with Captain Marvel being a woman.  All the women -- and only the women -- saw that there would be more glory in being part of the winning touchdown*, than in just doing their quiet part in the hand-to-hand combat battle, so they all came rushing in to be part of it.

Or

D)  They had been fighting the whole time, but by some powerful coincidence, all the women -- but only the women-- had just defeated the foe they'd personally been fighting hand-to-hand, leaving them available to come help Captain Marvel.  And all the men were still battling, but not in such desperate circumstances that their women colleagues would see a more pressing need to give them a hand, instead of assisting CM.

Only the most far-fetched one, D, is what real women -- strong women -- would do in real life.

*'Cause that whole scene was such a football metaphor1  One guy has the ball, er gauntlet, that he's trying to move downfield, er across the battlefield, with the help of his team running interference, to reach the end-zone, er van.  When he's trapped, he passes the ball, er gauntlet, to another team member, who moves it as far as he can, etc.

Great observations!

On 5/6/2019 at 9:45 PM, Storygirl said:

I liked Captain Marvel in her origin movie, but not in this one. She says at the beginning that things will be different, because she is here, but then she is not; she disappears and then reappears at the end.

I thought Gamora disappearing was odd; I will have to pay more attention to her specifically whenever I watch it again.

Before seeing it, DH and I discussed who would live and who would die. I thought we would lose more of the characters. I predicted that Thor would end up with the Guardians, since he is a space guy, and since they had such good chemistry in Infinity War, and I got that one right!

I wondered why Hawkeye was able to hold the Soul stone in his hand, when other characters in other movies have not been able to hold them.

I especially liked Tony's scenes with his father.

Tony's ending felt right to me, although sad, of course. He is the only one who had found a happy existence after the snap, and he sacrificed everything to save all of the others.

I'm going to have to watch all of the movies again now!

Wait, when/where did Gamorra disappear??

18 minutes ago, WendyAndMilo said:

Wait, when/where did Gamorra disappear??

They don't really show her disappear. So, the dead/stuck in the soul stone Gamorra never comes back, this we know. Then the from the past Gamorra, who comes with the from the past Nebula, and learns that they've made up, etc, and is working with the new/from now Nebula, and meets Peter Quill (who kisses her, thinking it's his Gamorra, and not realizing it's the from the past one who didn't really know him yet), and seems to be on the side of "not Thanos" is just not really seen again, and in the ending scene with Peter Quill & Thor back on the ship, Quill is looking at a computer screen that says "Searching...." and has a picture of her. When Thor walks up behind/beside him, he swipes off that screen and acts as though he's just looking at maps. 

And she's not on the ship with them, joined up. (for that matter, was everyone else? Drak? Mantis? Now I'm blanking on that scene entirely.....) Anyway, Gamorra is not on the ship, and Quill is running a computer search for her. But it never explains/shows.....what happened?? Why didn't she stick with them? Did she get snapped with the rest of Thanos' people/things? Did she just go off, alone, to figure out what the heck just happened? No clue. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maus said:

Or

So.Totally.Exactly.This. 

Thank you for putting it in better words than I did, and verifying I'm not entirely crazy for thinking this way. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheReader said:

They don't really show her disappear. So, the dead/stuck in the soul stone Gamorra never comes back, this we know. Then the from the past Gamorra, who comes with the from the past Nebula, and learns that they've made up, etc, and is working with the new/from now Nebula, and meets Peter Quill (who kisses her, thinking it's his Gamorra, and not realizing it's the from the past one who didn't really know him yet), and seems to be on the side of "not Thanos" is just not really seen again, and in the ending scene with Peter Quill & Thor back on the ship, Quill is looking at a computer screen that says "Searching...." and has a picture of her. When Thor walks up behind/beside him, he swipes off that screen and acts as though he's just looking at maps. 

And she's not on the ship with them, joined up. (for that matter, was everyone else? Drak? Mantis? Now I'm blanking on that scene entirely.....) Anyway, Gamorra is not on the ship, and Quill is running a computer search for her. But it never explains/shows.....what happened?? Why didn't she stick with them? Did she get snapped with the rest of Thanos' people/things? Did she just go off, alone, to figure out what the heck just happened? No clue. 

Based on her comment of derision about Quill, I assumed that she made off because she had no attachment to him.  I didn't take it as a disappearance, per se.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WendyAndMilo said:

Based on her comment of derision about Quill, I assumed that she made off because she had no attachment to him.  I didn't take it as a disappearance, per se.

But wasn't Nebula still with Quill? I had thought she'd stay with Nebula (in the absence of any other options)....

6 minutes ago, TheReader said:

But wasn't Nebula still with Quill? I had thought she'd stay with Nebula (in the absence of any other options)....

Yes, because she is the current Nebula who the past Gamorra also has no connection to.  I don't know, I guess if I was dropped into my "family" from a different time, who looks like my family but is and acts completely foreign to me, I would not want to stay.  Gamorra has plenty of connections and ambitions of her own; I'd expect her to venture off on her own.

We didn't see Gamora disappear literally. She just wasn't there in the end, at Tony's funeral, although the rest of the Guardians were, including Nebula. And then Peter was doing a search for her on the computer when back on his ship.

But there was so much going on before that, that I couldn't remember the last time I saw her in the film. She was just gone.

3 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

We didn't see Gamora disappear literally. She just wasn't there in the end, at Tony's funeral, although the rest of the Guardians were, including Nebula. And then Peter was doing a search for her on the computer when back on his ship.

But there was so much going on before that, that I couldn't remember the last time I saw her in the film. She was just gone.

It would have been really weird if she was.

22 minutes ago, WendyAndMilo said:

Yes, because she is the current Nebula who the past Gamorra also has no connection to.  I don't know, I guess if I was dropped into my "family" from a different time, who looks like my family but is and acts completely foreign to me, I would not want to stay.  Gamorra has plenty of connections and ambitions of her own; I'd expect her to venture off on her own.

Okay, I suppose that makes sense. Drat. I really liked her. 

1 minute ago, TheReader said:

Okay, I suppose that makes sense. Drat. I really liked her. 

I'm sure she is going to be a big part of the next GOG movie - remaking those connections.  I have faith 🙂

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, WendyAndMilo said:

I'm sure she is going to be a big part of the next GOG movie - remaking those connections.  I have faith 🙂

Amen!

• Like 1

I think the problem with Captain Marvel was that by her powers and by the cliffhanger at the end of Infinity War she should have been the star of this movie. But she wasn't the star of this movie, this was the last hurrah for the original Avengers. So her character was out of sync with the story.

• Like 4