Menu

PSAT summer math review?

Just wondering if any of you have ideas that we could use this summer to do some review that would help with PSAT next fall.    I am not as concerned about the Reading/Writing portion(though I'll take those ideas too) of the test as I am the math portion.  She is about to complete Algebra II with DO and has strong math skills, but could use some review, to help with her confidence.   Any ideas?  She will be a junior next year.   

I am about to head to band, so I will check back later in the day.  

Blessings,

Brenda

Has she already exhausted Khan Academy's practice? They have five practice tests (which you can print out, take on paper, then input the answers to in order to synch up Khan's practice to her specific needs) and you can schedule daily, weekly, or whatever amount of practice she needs.

• Like 3

My 8th grader takes a standard test every year. A couple of years ago, it was the psat 8/9. Last year, we could not find a center for the PSAT, so we did the SAT. Only prep material he used were  8 practice tests from Princeton and Barron, and a free one from  Global Ivy.  He did extremely well.  At the time of his SAT, he completed alg 1, geom, and was in the middle of alg 2.  Now, he is prepping for his second SAT on June 1,  using the same materials.    He has now completed pre-calc. I am curios as to how he will do.  BTW, we only focus on the math, and did one reading test. .  I expect reading to develop with maturity.  Be sure to time all practices. 

Khan Academy is a good resource. I would also look at starting Algebra 2 early if possible. The PSAT had some topics that were covered in the second half of Algebra 2. The more that she can master before the test, the better. It will also position her to be through pre-calc for the actual SAT. Since a number of pre-calc topics are on the SAT and ACT, having a chance to get through those and really master them can really boost her score compared to those who have only had cursory exposure.

Yes, Prairiewindmamma, DD is about to finish Algebra 2.  She will start PreCalc in August with DO.  So we are good with that.  🙂  And gstharr, I have the Barrons SAT book on my shelf!  Thanks for that reminder.  Completely forgot about it.  

I think she just needs some weekly practice with math review.  Khan should be good for that.  And then Barrons closer to time.

Thanks for all the information!  You guys are GREAT!

Blessings,

Brenda