Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Liz CA

Do you still write letters, do you buy stationery?

I still get emails from Crane's Stationery and since I am old and of a different time, I am tempted now and then.¬† ūüôā

• Like 1

I rarely write letters after college as most of my correspondence was emails or fax if the internet is down. I do buy stationary because it’s pretty but I buy mainly from Daiso because I buy pretty notebooks, post-its, erasers and sometimes they have stickers. I used to buy from Kinokuniya bookstores which is more pricy.

• Like 1

I still love, buy and use stationery! I like writing thank you notes and condolence notes and get well notes and thinking of you notes. Nowadays I usually just buy blank foldover notes from Michaels or Hobby Lobby and draw a little picture on the front of the notecard. I buy the boxes that have a bunch of different colors in them. My Mom gave my 9yo daughter her own foldover stationery with her name in pink. She loves it and writes notecards a couple of times a week.

I also buy a lot of postcards and participate in writing postcards to send internationally through Postcrossing. I love that. I've got an album to put all the postcards I've received through that program. 

• Like 5

Yes, I too still write some letters and many notes. I buy notecards at nice bookstores, museum shops or stationers. Occasionally I get greeting cards at Trader Joe's for birthday, thank you, or congratulations cards. I do have an all-purpose set of Crane's staionary too. I use that for more formal writing. Dh used it for ty notes after job interviews.

• Like 2

I do write letters, though not as often as I used to. I buy a lot of blank notecards, but if I see cute bordered paper stationery, I prefer that.

• Like 2

I buy generic pretty notecards. The letters I write are more thinking of you or thank you notes, so shorter. I'm all for letter writing, so if you like the stationery, buy some. 

• Like 2

@CTVKath have you seen that you can get a postcard from Timbuktu? I keep meaning to try this for one of those hard-to-buy-for people in my life.

I like to buy boxes of stationery with clever or famous designs/art on the front. It is hard to find, though! The weird bookstore/clothing store/bead store/record store near my house has been my source for ages, but I was in there this week and they were re-"decorating" and it looked like they might not be restocking. Sad! I've tried sourcing online without luck.

• Like 2

I was reading a book this week about minimalism, and I was thinking that I should either start using my drawer-full of stationery, or I should clear it all out and donate it. 

The problem is that most of the people I used to write to have passed away or lost their eyesight. I tend to text my nieces and nephew, and email or call my siblings and older relatives. 

I think that I’ll go through my stash today and write a note to my in-laws. 

I love stationery!

Edited by Fifiruth
  • Like 1

I do, though not as often as I'd like to. I send thank you and condolence notes, and birthday cards to some people. I keep pretty postcards around for writing quick notes.  Pomegranate Press makes some really  nice ones.  I also keep blank foldover cards.

I love getting real cards and letters, though I don't keep greeting cards - the ones with a pre-printed message inside - that are just signed by the sender with no other personal message. 

• Thanks 1

I used to use so much stationary!  I moved around a lot, so many of my close friends ended up living across the country or even the ocean from me.  We kept in touch via letter-writing.  I have boxes and boxes of letters that I've saved from other people over the years.  With emailing, I rarely write snail-mail letters anymore, although I wouldn't be writing so many letters anymore anyway -- life has gotten quite full!  But, I do tend to send note cards in the mail quite often.  Just little notes -- thank you's, or notes telling people I'm thinking about them, etc.  But long letters generally go via email now.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 2

I still write letters - but mostly short, so pretty notecards have been my go-to for years. I like a large selection, but it is hard to find pretty notecards that don't say "Thank you" on the front! I do find some at estate sales!

I love going to a Papyrus store - they've had a sale on boxed cards every time I've been there (usually maybe once a year!). 

• Like 1

I still love writing letters, postcards, birthday cards.
Like PP, I buy blank notecards from Michaels or blank colored index cards from Hobby Lobby and make my own.
I've jumped into Hand-lettering & really enjoy the easy (quick) creative outlet. 

Love this thread!

• Like 2

Yes. In fact I was on Amazon searching for stationary last night and trying to decide which one to get.  (After going to Half Price Books AND Wal-mart and striking out on true stationary)

I have sponsored children all over the world so I write quite a few letters still. I write letters less often to people that live in the United States.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

My sister and I write letters monthly, and a friend gave me several boxes of pretty stationary for Christmas. 

• Like 1

Still send letters and cards.  Mostly to my mom and the grandkids love getting letters in the mail.  I buy cards but recently made my own stationary through  Walmart,  printed a pic of my remuda  watering at the pond in their pasture.

• Like 1

I love pretty stationery! I still buy it and use it for thank you notes and other short notes.  For myself, I typically use pretty notecards from Papyrus or museum shops.  I also have monogrammed notecards that I  use for more formal things.  

My daughters use notecards for their thank you notes.  They typically use personalized notecards that I ordered for them, but they also have some notecards that have a picture depicting their interests/passions.  

I hate that sending a receiving letters and notes has basically disappeared!

Edited by edelweiss
  • Like 1

No. I type too fast and make too many changes to what I want to say so the process of handwriting letters makes me feel too frustrated.  I’m too slow, or I have to start over too many times.

But I do think stationary is pretty and wish I was the sort of person who uses it.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

I write lots of letters and cards.  However I also have been given so much stationery over the years that I’m not going to need to buy any for a long time.  :0)

• Like 1

I like to write personal notes sometimes so when I see boxed notecards that express my personality I tend to pick them up.  I don't shop much in general so I don't get overwhelmed with quantities.  I have some that are elegant Crane ones with my favorite motifs--a cross, 'thank you', a dragonfly, a strawberry.  And I have some simple ones with John Muir quotes on the cards and gorgeous forest/mountain scenes on the envelopes.  I also have some more casual, vaguely Japanese style thank you cards, and some with simple pictures of Alpine village scenes.  But my absolute favorites are made by a small two person business called Hymns in My Heart in the Midwest.  They feature calligraphy and decorations around it of one verse of a well known hymn on the front, with a bookmark enclosed of the same design.  Those are absolutely lovely, and mostly are hymns I know by heart.  Anyone who knows me well enough for me to write to them personally knows how much I love hymns so that's really a nice way of expressing myself and encouraging someone at the same time.

• Like 2