Menu

My foster puppy!

ktgrok

7 hours ago, Pen said:

But... if there isn’t, I’ve heard there some doggy underground railroad like thing to get dogs 🐕 to a home 🏡 😃.

Sure, there are groups who do dog transports. The longest one I've ever participated in was from NC (I was the first leg) to NYC. But there are groups who will arrange for even longer ones. And there are private animal transporters, too.

• Like 1

I used to have a client when I worked in Palm Beach county who had a pilot's license and a small plane and he flew dogs back and forth for rescues! He also flew kids and their parents to speciality hospitals for treatment, I think it was called Angel Flights. 🙂

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I used to have a client when I worked in Palm Beach county who had a pilot's license and a small plane and he flew dogs back and forth for rescues! He also flew kids and their parents to speciality hospitals for treatment, I think it was called Angel Flights. 🙂

Interesting!  Just looked that up and found:

https://www.pilotsnpaws.org/

11 hours ago, Pen said:

Would love to have her.

Since I saw her picture the first time I started looking into Weimaraners.

Alas we are opposite side of country.  I’m sure there’ll be a great home much closer.  

OH she is adorable.  I love Weims.   We have one and she is amazing.  

• Like 1

I had contacted a Weimaraner rescue organization in my state and was in process of having them check our fencing—then that got back Burner due to storms and so on.  I’ll move it back forward, I think.  

I have actual concerns about our fencing and Weimaraner breed.  Our fencing has been suitable for our dogs.  But I’ve not had a real runner and jumper type dog (neither by breed nor individual dog personality) since living here.  There’s also an area where the boundary is a creek and blackberries, not a fence.

@Ktgrok for Ayra (how is that said?), or any other Weimaraner, what do you think?  Our dogs, even intact males, have been willing to stay within their short fence and creek perimeters in large part because it is like a several acre dog park to themselves.  

2 hours ago, Pen said:

I had contacted a Weimaraner rescue organization in my state and was in process of having them check our fencing—then that got back Burner due to storms and so on.  I’ll move it back forward, I think.  

I have actual concerns about our fencing and Weimaraner breed.  Our fencing has been suitable for our dogs.  But I’ve not had a real runner and jumper type dog (neither by breed nor individual dog personality) since living here.  There’s also an area where the boundary is a creek and blackberries, not a fence.

@Ktgrok for Ayra (how is that said?), or any other Weimaraner, what do you think?  Our dogs, even intact males, have been willing to stay within their short fence and creek perimeters in large part because it is like a several acre dog park to themselves.  

Her name is actually Arya, the rescue person misspelled it, lol. Pronounced AR-ya. Apparently she's a character on Game of Thrones or so my teen son tells me. 

As for fencing, most rescues will require actual fence I'd think. But as for roaming, I've had a bit of everything. My weim (and soulmate...my forever heart dog who I miss terribly over a decade after she passed away) would never have even THOUGHT of running away. She, like most weimaraner, was a velcro dog. They usually would want to be with their people, and protecting their home, etc. My other weim, Rosie, however, was an exception. She would unlock and open the front windows to go on walk about to hang out with whomever she could find in the neighborhood. I had to pick her up from animal control twice and from various people who found her several times. She did have separation anxiety though so I don't know that she would have done that otherwise. Alli NEVER left with her, even with the window hanging open. She actually broke through the glass to escape once (after the broke the lock and couldn't open the window) and left. The neighbor saw it and came over to tape some cardboard over the window until I could get home, but Alli didn't know him, and growled and wouldn't let him near the window. So he sent his wife over, who she did know, and Alli let her tape it up. 

Until yesterday I'd have said Arya wouldn't challenge a fence, but yesterday I was in the front yard gardening, and she and the other dogs were in the backyard. And then suddenly she was in the front yard with me. She'd found a slight gap in the fence (from the border collie who likes to dig just to lay in the cool dirt) and enlarged the hole enough to get through. Now, again, she didn't run away, she was running TO me, but still. She obviously is more of a risk now that I know she will dig under fences. Sigh. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How Velcro do they tend to be when out on walks/runs?

current dog is extremely Velcro at home, but less so when out past the “dog fence”. 

Ds really wants a dog running companion (current dog was, but can’t keep up with him anymore) who would be very Velcro on runs. We do have hands free leashes, but a dog who wants to be together  would help a lot compared to one who wants to be meandering along sniffing or bolting off into the woods. ((Ds mostly runs on logging trails, so there are woods to bolt into if a dog is inclined.)   We’ve seen Weimaraners sometimes while driving who look like they are enjoying being a running companion, but it’s hard to tell from looking.

hmm....I am not much of a runner these days...but they are certainly the type to stay in eyesight most of the time, versus a hound that would just leave and not look back. But they are more independent in their hunting style than a lab or golden retriever. And they can be a bit protective, so another factor that has me saying they would want to stay by you. But I don't know that I have a big enough sample size to say for sure. They are VERY VERY VERY attached to their humans. Their biggest flaw as a breed (other than energy level being very high) is that they have a tendency to separation anxiety if you aren't careful. 

They are super smart though (too smart sometimes) and so that plus their attachment to their people makes me think it wouldn't be hard to train them to stay with you, rather than dart off. And they love exercise. (but shouldn't run long distances before fully grown, as it can stress the joints)

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Thanks 1