Menu

What's with the ads?

heartlikealion

Public school PreK - how many seats?

If you have public school PreK are the openings few and far between? Our school district has it in one school currently and is adding it to the others in the fall. I gave it some thought and decided to enroll dd. Well it wasn’t that straight forward. It doesn’t appear to be so much a first come basis thing as a whole process of elimination. A local told me the school that currently offers it only has ten (!) slots. 

We can register this week so I tried but found out the hard way that the shots she’d get at her 5 yr wellness visit are required! For her that means moving them them up a couple months so I got the dr’s office to accommodate me and I’m taking her tomorrow for her “5 yr” wellness visit. Now that doesn’t guarantee anything. The school did an eval with dd when I was in another room filling out papers. I don’t know if they are looking for kids that struggle or not. She was asked letters, colors, number and shapes (not sure if there was more. That’s just what dd told me). She said she forgot some. 

Ds wants to be homeschooled in the fall and the preK was supposed to help us accomplish that with uninterrupted school time. 

Edited by heartlikealion

Here they don't need the shots to enroll, just before the first day of school. Might want to check on that. 

They refused my registration without up-to-date shots. I was standing in front of them and the check box on the form did not say, “complete for K4-6th.”

to make matters worse they couldn’t get a proper photo copy of the birth certificate because of the special paper. Instead of a “void” watermark it wasn’t showing anything coherent. I begged the vital records office to allow me an additional copy for the copy rate rather than the price I paid yesterday (because I couldn’t locate her original) and after speaking to 4 people they agreed. But I asked if a scanner would work and she said I could try. I scanned it at home and it came out beautifully so I hope the office takes that copy! This has all been a hassle. 

Edited by heartlikealion

My district had 40 vacancies, 2 classrooms. I don’t know what’s the student teacher ratio. My DS14 didn’t get a seat when we applied and they have waitlist for Kindergarten even with 120 slots at our assigned elementary school. My district is overcrowded from K to 12th.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

My district had 40 vacancies, 2 classrooms. I don’t know what’s the student teacher ratio. My DS14 didn’t get a seat when we applied and they have waitlist for Kindergarten even with 120 slots at our assigned elementary school. My district is overcrowded from K to 12th.

Did the child need to be present to enroll? I’m wondering if a lot of parents haven’t enrolled theirs yet because kids have to come (for the eval). Today they had extended hours til 7pm so I imagine some went tonight. 

7 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Did the child need to be present to enroll? I’m wondering if a lot of parents haven’t enrolled theirs yet because kids have to come (for the eval). 

Not for my kids. They started evaluations only in 2012.

• Like 1

We have universal PreK4. There is a seat for every 4 yo in the district. There are fewer PreK3 seats, but still a lot. Getting in via lottery to the school you want is another matter though.

The bureaucratic elements of getting in are fairly light on the front end. Once you get in, you have to prove eligibility in person.

• Like 1

Here PreK4 is half day, 18 students/class, 2 classes per elementary school. There are seats for about 1/4 of the students who could attend.  Seats are given by lottery. Most people use private preK to assure their child has a seat, as they have to commit earlier than the lottery results are announced. Half day preK is very difficult for most, as they then have to find daycare for the rest of the day as most families have both parents working. Head Start is also available, but that is separate from the school district - there are enough seats for about half of the estimated eligible students.

preK4 students at public school are not screened so they don't have to be present during registration.  The adult has to show proof of residency, immunization records, and birth certificate for child at registration. Immunizations don't have to be done early, on schedule is fine and if they are on schedule they will be up to date before school starts. If they have to catch up, they need to do so before school starts.

Edited by HeighHo
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

We are in rural area and need more kids!  We have around 240 students K-12.  Anything there is has enough slots for all in district plus the schools require additional out of district kids to survive .  PreK here isn’t a full daily program.  It only started recently so I don’t really understand what it entails, but know it’s advertised as open enrollment 

• Like 1

My state has a serious shortage of publicly funded preschool slots for those that qualify based on income. They are not all at public schools. Some are at private schools, community centers, or other non-profits. I believe most enroll on a first-come, first served model, as long as income qualifications are met. Some target specific ethnic or language groups, so that may also guide enrollment decisions. I haven’t heard about any public school preschool programs here that take students whose families can afford to pay for preschool elsewhere. But with more than 60% of students living at or below the poverty level in a district with over 40k students, there is no shortage of students needing free preschool.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Farrar said:

Once you get in, you have to prove eligibility in person.

Is this heavily reliant on income? 

4 hours ago, Frances said:

My state has a serious shortage of publicly funded preschool slots for those that qualify based on income. They are not all at public schools. Some are at private schools, community centers, or other non-profits. I believe most enroll on a first-come, first served model, as long as income qualifications are met. Some target specific ethnic or language groups, so that may also guide enrollment decisions. I haven’t heard about any public school preschool programs here that take students whose families can afford to pay for preschool elsewhere. But with more than 60% of students living at or below the poverty level in a district with over 40k students, there is no shortage of students needing free preschool.

Thank you. I was wondering if income was part of it. 

Does being a minority in the school composition affect getting in? Dd doesn’t have an official IEP yet so although she could use speech I couldn’t check that box. She’d probably be the only non black child like ds currently is (he’s graduating from the school in a few weeks). But other than that, nothing in her favor to get in. They asked about parents’ education and income. Unless very few people enrolled, I don’t think we’ll make the cut. See, I only knew about it because it was posted on the district Facebook and door to ds’ school. I don’t know how many parents of PreK age know about it. 

I don’t want to screw over a family that needs the PreK but if not a lot had up-to-date records/showed up this week, we may get in. *shrug*

Here pre-k eligibility is based on income. As far as immunizations the vast majority of children are up to date. The vast majority of the population follow the recommended vaccination schedule. That’s not a high burden. 

• Like 1

Head start run by my county does based on income and is free because my county has more than enough qualifying for free than there are slots. The recruiters at county fair does target Latinos and African Americans. This is their application form https://headstart.sccoe.org/Documents/ELS Application_English.pdf

My district’s preschool isn’t free and is just slightly cheaper than private preschool. People applying are typically within walking distance of the school or have an older child they are driving there anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hshibley said:

Here pre-k eligibility is based on income. As far as immunizations the vast majority of children are up to date. The vast majority of the population follow the recommended vaccination schedule. That’s not a high burden. 

Maybe you didn’t read or understand my entire first post? She was on schedule

The doctor’s office said but the rules changed for how schools handle it now and instead of those shots just being for 5 yr olds/K, they make them required at age 4 for PreK. No one in the school office knew what was wrong with my form, only that it didn’t have the check box they were looking for. One person said, “oh maybe it’s the 5 yr shots?” and I said, “but this is for PreK. She won’t get those til she turns 5 and school begins before then.” 

This is why I’m saying other people’s records may be “out of date.” Dd is an older 4 yr old, so I only had to shift her shots up a couple months. The young 4 yr olds may be needing to shift them up nearly a full year. PreK was only announced for the majority of these schools several weeks ago. It’s brand new for the fall minus that one school in the district in another town. 

8DC9DD19-223A-47A8-A9D9-0A062FF0913B.jpeg

Edited by heartlikealion

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Head start run by my county does based on income and is free because my county has more than enough qualifying for free than there are slots. The recruiters at county fair does target Latinos and African Americans. This is their application form https://headstart.sccoe.org/Documents/ELS Application_English.pdf

My district’s preschool isn’t free and is just slightly cheaper than private preschool. People applying are typically within walking distance of the school or have an older child they are driving there anyway. 

Yeah Head Start is income based. We have that here. Dd is white/Hispanic which makes her a minority here but may not mean anything. 

If the kids applying are currently in Head Start their immunization records may already reflect the “5yr shots” given earlier. 

It seems they misapplied the "complete til school entry" because that is for K. PreK is "pre-school." So shouldn't you have been checked "temporarily compliant?" 

I don't get it, obviously. 

To answer your question, we had 3 preK classes, with 18 per class, in our local elementary. I don't think there is a low income requirement, but I'm not sure. It did, however, fill up with low income families on free or reduced lunch. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris in VA said:

It seems they misapplied the "complete til school entry" because that is for K. PreK is "pre-school." So shouldn't you have been checked "temporarily compliant?" 

I don't get it, obviously. 

To answer your question, we had 3 preK classes, with 18 per class, in our local elementary. I don't think there is a low income requirement, but I'm not sure. It did, however, fill up with low income families on free or reduced lunch. 

Without PreK attendance the form would have simply been updated in November at her original wellness visit. Until school entry just means up until she begins I guess. At any rate, I have no guilt about the records being wrong as I never refused shots. 

12 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

Yes, that's what is done here for those who are on schedule and under 4 when school/HeadStart starts.  

The person who is expert on this is the school nurse.  That person has to go thru all the records and ensure compliance and report back to the state. 

Edited by HeighHo

1 minute ago, HeighHo said:

Yes, that's what is done here for those who are on schedule and under 4 when school starts.  

The person who is expert on this is the school nurse.  That person has to go thru all the records and ensure compliance and report back to the state. 

Under 4 or under 5? 

45 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Maybe you didn’t read or understand my entire first post? She was on schedule

The doctor’s office said but the rules changed for how schools handle it now and instead of those shots just being for 5 yr olds/K, they make them required at age 4 for PreK. No one in the school office knew what was wrong with my form, only that it didn’t have the check box they were looking for. One person said, “oh maybe it’s the 5 yr shots?” and I said, “but this is for PreK. She won’t get those til she turns 5 and school begins before then.” 

This is why I’m saying other people’s records may be “out of date.” Dd is an older 4 yr old, so I only had to shift her shots up a couple months. The young 4 yr olds may be needing to shift them up nearly a full year. PreK was only announced for the majority of these schools several weeks ago. It’s brand new for the fall minus that one school in the district in another town. 

8DC9DD19-223A-47A8-A9D9-0A062FF0913B.jpeg

The CDC schedule for the "school entry" shots actually has a window from 4-6 years of age; getting them at age 4 is within that window and not early. If your state requires them for entry in PK4 that is within CDC guidelines.

People may call them 5 year shots but there is no particular rule that says they should be given at age 5.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/child-adolescent.html#birth-15

• Like 4

They want white kids to go to school there but most white people send their kids to another district (like dh’s coworkers that commute) or private school. So I don’t know how that will affect her eligibility. 

I printed copies of her initial speech eval. It’s old now but it shows she was recommended for speech by their district. 

Just now, maize said:

The CDC schedule for the "school entry" shots actually has a window from 4-6 years of age; getting them at age 4 is within that window and not early. If your state requires them for entry in PK4 that is within CDC guidelines.

People may call them 5 year shots but there is no particular rule that says they should be given at age 5.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/child-adolescent.html#birth-15

Ok. Good to know! 

The dr office didn’t offer them AKAIK at her 4 yr checkup so to me it seemed early. 

• Like 1

To find out how preK seat selection is done, call the school.   They should have that decided already. 

In my area,  the first few years, preK seats went to those who were screened and didn't qualify for Birth to 3 services or Head Start, but very obviously needed the experience and the English Language instruction.  Now its lottery.

14 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Under 4 or under 5? 

PreK here is for students who turn 4 by Dec 1st.  Childen who turn 5 by Dec 1st are in Kindy.   All children who are on schedule with my state's vaccination recommendations will have their req'd vaccines done by age 4.  Those with fall birthdays who are turning 4 during preK are not expected to get the immunizations done early, they are expected to stay on schedule.  And that applies in the later years...the nurse just does the right paperwork, then the parent sends in the up date after they do their annual and get the next round of immunizations.  

Every state's Health Dept has an immunization schedule. Yours is here: http://www.msdh.state.ms.us/msdhsite/_static/14,13899,71,439.html , looks like they are going with the CDC recommendations. 

Edited by HeighHo
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Under 4 or under 5? 

My district policy was updated immunization record before winter break which is usually Dec 20th for preschool to 12th grade but no penalty for turning in the updated immunization record on Jan 2nd. Academic year typically starts August 15th for all grades.

“Immunization Records (as current as is age appropriate).

CONDITIONALLY ADMIT any pupil who lacks documentation for unconditional admission if the pupil has:
• Commenced receiving doses of all the vaccines required for the pupil’s grade (table above) and is not currently due for any doses at the time of admission (as determined by intervals listed in Conditional Admission Schedule, column entitled “EXCLUDE IF NOT GIVEN BY”), or
• A temporary medical exemption from some or all required immunizations (17 CCR section 6050)”

ETA:

DS14 was 2years 2months old when applying for my district’s preschool in February as he was born just before the old birthday cutoff. 

Edited by Arcadia

We’ve clarified the range of 4-6 but I don’t know how most local doctors are handling it. The county my daughter’s ped is in does not have public school PreK with the exception of special needs at one location. Curious how often they offer shots before 5 without the parents prompting it. 

Free pre-K at the elementary school here is only for special/high needs students and a few "peer mentors" per class.  They will take all the students that qualify as special needs but the peer mentor slots are limited.  We do not have Head Start in our town, but there is another non-profit program that factors in need as well as many private preschools.

I don't understand altering the vaccination schedule.  Here the kindergarten cut off is Dec 31st so many students are not yet 5 when they begin kindergarten.  We just continue on the regular vaccination schedule submitting the updated forms after the most recent dr visit.  No need to move a November annual visit to July, most insurance wouldn't even pay for that.  I can't imagine a school making that requirement.

• Like 4

Here most schools have 1-2 classes for preschool, plus sometimes one for kids who require more intensive special education (the 1-2 regular classes are title 1/inclusion). This is in full school Title 1 schools. Usually they have 6-8 kindergarten classes, so there definitely is a shortage of spots. 

In my SIL’s district, VPK is offered, but not at schools-it’s offered through private preschools and daycare programs. Only special ed preschool is at the school itself. There, it is pretty easy to find a spot.

Here there are specific vaccines required for kindergarten and 7th grade. Since my DD was early entered to K, she ended up getting her 5 yr old vaccines early. However, the community college did not require that she had her 7th grade ones to start taking classes, since she wasn’t 7th grade by age-her schedule showing she was up to date for age (particularly on the MMR) was fine. I suppose I should have her drop off an updated copy....

Edited by dmmetler

5 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Curious how often they offer shots before 5 without the parents prompting it. 

I am in a high population density area though it’s still considered suburban. My BCBS employer supplied insurance does cover recommended shots and TB tests done at Urgent Care so we didn’t need to wait for a pediatrician appointment slot.

The clinics’ staff are already used to doing printouts for school registration and summer camps requirements. We just show them the medical form and they know what to do.

3 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Is this heavily reliant on income? 

It’s not reliant on income at all. There really is a slot for every kid here. Anyone can send a kid to public preK. You just need proof of address, age, immunizations, etc.

We have universal pre-k here. You can send your 3 and 4-year-olds to the local school district or use those funds towards a private pre-k. Our schools are all clamoring for more students as we have declining enrollment. I think there are a total of maybe 85 kids pre-k - 6th at our local elementary school. 

Weird about the shots - our pediatricians' schedule doesn't have 4 or 5-year-old shots. DS did have some boosters at his 6-year-old well visit though.  

Hope it all gets sorted out!

6 minutes ago, Library Momma said:

Free pre-K at the elementary school here is only for special/high needs students and a few "peer mentors" per class.  They will take all the students that qualify as special needs but the peer mentor slots are limited.  We do not have Head Start in our town, but there is another non-profit program that factors in need as well as many private preschools.

I don't understand altering the vaccination schedule.  Here the kindergarten cut off is Dec 31st so many students are not yet 5 when they begin kindergarten.  We just continue on the regular vaccination schedule submitting the updated forms after the most recent dr visit.  No need to move a November annual visit to July, most insurance wouldn't even pay for that.  I can't imagine a school making that requirement.

I had a brain fart... I was thinking oh August is school so a November appt isn’t much earlier. Duh April is several months ahead of Nov! I asked Dh if he thought ins. would cover it and we were thinking yes because it’s still a 2019 wellness visit. 

The school district main office doesn’t know what determines eligibility so they are going to found out and call me back. She said she was going to call the school and that they’d probably tell me and I was blunt and said they didn’t seem to want to disclose that. Just said they need to collect all applications and then go through them and decide. She said ok I’ll find out and call you back. 

• Like 1

Here you only qualify if you meet the income levels or have a rather severe disability.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

We’ve clarified the range of 4-6 but I don’t know how most local doctors are handling it. The county my daughter’s ped is in does not have public school PreK with the exception of special needs at one location. Curious how often they offer shots before 5 without the parents prompting it. 

Here the ped takes in to account your family circumstances.  If the child is in group or family daycare/summer camp or in the school system or private preschool,  they'll go on the early side for anything that has a range.  Same if they routinely travel to areas where contagious diseases are prevalent or have those visitors residing in their home.

Edited by HeighHo

Immunizations don't have to be given at an official well check, I've always been able to do "immunizations only" appointments as needed and without a copay. We don't have to see a dr. for those, a medical assistant or nurse just comes in and gives the shots. 

In many places county health departments also offer immunizations.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, hshibley said:

Same here. If you want publically funded preK, you have to be low income, military, homeless, special needs, a foster child, or have a Star of TExas eligible parent.  There are a limited number of seats beyond that available if you pay tuition (Which is what we did). Some schools fill up and other schools have a harder time filling the tuition based spots. But not every school in the district has tuition based preK. They have a day they open up preK registration and you have to bring all the paperwork. They fill classes first come, first served. But check your paperwork is complete before registering you.

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

It’s not reliant on income at all. There really is a slot for every kid here. Anyone can send a kid to public preK. You just need proof of address, age, immunizations, etc.

Here, there is no income requirement. Almost EVERYONE sends their 4 yr old to free VPK. Every elementary seems to have it, plus some private schools, churches, etc. I'm very unusual in not sending my kids. The only issue is getting into the school you want, not getting a slot at all. 

I had a brain fart... I was thinking oh August is school so a November appt isn’t much earlier. Duh April is several months ahead of Nov! I asked Dh if he thought ins. would cover it and we were thinking yes because it’s still a 2019 wellness visit. 

The school district main office doesn’t know what determines eligibility so they are going to found out and call me back. She said she was going to call the school and that they’d probably tell me and I was blunt and said they didn’t seem to want to disclose that. Just said they need to collect all applications and then go through them and decide. She said ok I’ll find out and call you back. 

No, insurance will NOT cover an early wellness visit. But, you can get vaccines without a wellness visit, just an appointment with the nurse. Or, ask them to check the temporarily compliant box, and write in when she's due next. 

Just now, Ktgrok said:

Here, there is no income requirement. Almost EVERYONE sends their 4 yr old to free VPK. Every elementary seems to have it, plus some private schools, churches, etc. I'm very unusual in not sending my kids. The only issue is getting into the school you want, not getting a slot at all. 

No, insurance will NOT cover an early wellness visit. But, you can get vaccines without a wellness visit, just an appointment with the nurse. Or, ask them to check the temporarily compliant box, and write in when she's due next. 

Here, it's only public preK. It has put a lot of private and religious preK's out of business in the last few years now that it's expanded. But yeah, nearly everyone sends this kids.

This is one of the reasons that I get really annoyed when homeschoolers are like, you're not really homeschooling, you can't come to our park day, to parents of younger kids. It's like, but 95% of all the kids are in preK. There's no community for you.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Here, it's only public preK. It has put a lot of private and religious preK's out of business in the last few years now that it's expanded. But yeah, nearly everyone sends this kids.

This is one of the reasons that I get really annoyed when homeschoolers are like, you're not really homeschooling, you can't come to our park day, to parents of younger kids. It's like, but 95% of all the kids are in preK. There's no community for you.

YES! 

And here the private places contract to offer the publicly funded VPK. Plus they make money on the after hours - so VPK covers until noon, and then if the parents are working they pay the private school for the additional hours until 3 or whatever, plus maybe paying for aftercare somewhere after that. 

Oh, and here many place offer either full days 3 days a week or half days 5 days a week. 

• Like 1

If it’s a publicly funded program at a public school, it seems strange that they could withhold this information from the public. Hopefully someone will call you back with an answer.

• Like 1

I never got a call back. I went to the school in person to make sure they would accept the scanned print of the birth certificate. I asked like 3x and they were super evasive. I finally said, “Is it based on a combination of things like income, how they did on the eval... ?” and she finally mustered a, “yes.” She just kept saying we’ll let you know when we decide. 

I showed proof of the speech process she began but they didn’t care because she isn’t currently receiving speech. She did confirm they will screen the kids for speech in PreK. 

I got an email from a public library today (I am on their mailing list for events) that they will have an SLP conducting some free speech screenings in May. I just got a slot. 

Dd got her shots. The employees assured me it won’t affect billing. They asked what ins. I have. Said no problem. I know I’ve had to shift a wellness visit before with no billing issues but it wasn’t as extreme of a shift. I think one time she was seen in Dec instead of Nov because of holidays/scheduling conflicts. The shots were awful but the appt was good. The dr spent a lot of time with us and is so sweet. They faxed the new records to the school (I got fax number this morning) and I took a copy. I’m about to call the school to confirm they received fax. 

• Like 1

If it's based on income and evaluation reports, they might not have hard and fast numbers or cutoffs. It may shift each year based on who applies. They may just have a certain number of slots and they go to the top (or bottom) set of people on the list, so the exact cutoff might change a good bit from year to year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

If it's based on income and evaluation reports, they might not have hard and fast numbers or cutoffs. It may shift each year based on who applies. They may just have a certain number of slots and they go to the top (or bottom) set of people on the list, so the exact cutoff might change a good bit from year to year.

Hmm there may be some wiggle room but I still think they could tell more more. 

Get this lol I left a message earlier specifically stating I wanted to know what factors determine eligibility once you register... the lady calls me back like 2 hrs later trying to tell me what you need to register for K. I was like I already registered her and this is in reference to PreK not K (good grief!!) 

the school never received the dr’s fax so I called the dr to ask about it. This woman says according to her file we faxed it on 4-25-19. I said that’s not the right fax. My daughter went to the office today for shots. She continued, that form was requested on 4-23 and faxed on 4-25. I said yes but that’s not the updated shot record... today is 4-26 (seriously, people... how could I request today’s office visit shots on 4-23? I guess I time travel). She said ok we have the fax number, same one? I said no, that was sent to my husband’s fax. I need you to use the number I gave someone today for the school (wish I got her name). So I gave it again. 

When I got home I scanned the shot record and emailed it to the school just in case. About 10 min later the dr office calls saying we tried that fax number like 6x with no luck. I said never mind I sent an email a few minutes ago. 

Just before all that I talked to someone else at the central office and they said after the sped director returns from lunch I’ll get answers. Yeah, ok. It’s 2:44pm. And the one telling me how to register said actually a different person, not the Sped Director knows that answer and she’s not here. 

?!?!?! 

Blind leading the blind 

The school did receive my email, she’s registered. At least there’s that. 

It did not appear I’d get a call back so I called once again and asked for the Sped Director. She even had to put me on hold to ask someone else lol again they were trying to tell me to register (!). 

Finally she said don’t worry. We have 20 slots at each school (including the one someone told me had ten) and she thinks dd will be fine because some kids will remain/enroll in Head Start. She said the determining factor is mainly the eval. if space is an issue. 

My district only offers pre-k to students on an IEP or those zoned for certain elementary schools that serve a mostly English Language Learners population.

The Adult Ed program does run a parent participation preschool at an elementary school not too far from my house. It's $139/month tuition plus working in the classroom 3 days per month and attendance at parent education classes. I don't know how many slots are available in that.

Our public school PreK is offered first to special needs or IEP children. After that, slots are open to anyone else, but those students have to pay tuition.

I knew my not-a-state was ahead of the curve on this, but I didn’t realize how much. Essentially from age 3, most working parents do not need to pay for during the day childcare here (assuming they have 9-5 hours). I think I was under the impression that more places had expanded public preK than this board is indicating.

2 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I knew my not-a-state was ahead of the curve on this, but I didn’t realize how much. Essentially from age 3, most working parents do not need to pay for during the day childcare here (assuming they have 9-5 hours). I think I was under the impression that more places had expanded public preK than this board is indicating.

Count me in the same boat. I had no idea things varied so much and some pay tuition. I’ve heard of paying tuition at a public school but only for a transfer to another district. 

I knew a family in FL (Pensacola) that had public PreK and I always assumed it was just like public K, as in, no strings attached to get in. Now looking back I have no idea if they had special rules. The mother didn’t mention any but I know they were on Medicaid. And I think her 4 yr old rode the bus with siblings but they aren’t really supposed to. I know around here they do have Head Start yellow buses but yellow buses are typically intended for children 50 lbs. and up. They also lack maturity to sit properly/remain seated properly. I had already planned on driving dd but the school told me when she visited the school for a tour recently that buses were not used for PreK age. All statistics done with yellow school buses are with “school age children” ie age 5 and up. 

30 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Count me in the same boat. I had no idea things varied so much and some pay tuition. I’ve heard of paying tuition at a public school but only for a transfer to another district. 

I knew a family in FL (Pensacola) that had public PreK and I always assumed it was just like public K, as in, no strings attached to get in. Now looking back I have no idea if they had special rules. The mother didn’t mention any but I know they were on Medicaid. And I think her 4 yr old rode the bus with siblings but they aren’t really supposed to. I know around here they do have Head Start yellow buses but yellow buses are typically intended for children 50 lbs. and up. They also lack maturity to sit properly/remain seated properly. I had already planned on driving dd but the school told me when she visited the school for a tour recently that buses were not used for PreK age. All statistics done with yellow school buses are with “school age children” ie age 5 and up. 

My state only started fully funding full-day kindergarten four years ago. Prior to that, schools only received half-funding for each kindergarten student. Some public schools, like the one walking distance from our house (but not the one we were zoned for) offered full day kindergarten before that, but parents had to pay tuition for the afternoon. While other districts offered it for free by cutting other things out of their budgets. While I personally would not have sent my child to full-day kindergarten unless it was taught in another language, I think it is a big help for parents who both work full-time, single parents, and kids who need more of the things school provides. I feel the same about public preschool and am glad my state is now working to improve access on that front.